Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Cumberland County)

Default Re: What kind of Red Dot Scope do you have?

I have an AimShot HG-M2, that I don't use. I plan on putting it on a .22 of some kind, if I ever buy one. It's around $100, and it's pretty decent.

I have a Bushnell (the one that's basically an EOTech without the hood) holosight on my AR.

(Montgomery County)

moved to OPTICS.

all these gun forums here, you post this in the ONLY non gun related forum.... "the lounge"

you people need to GTFO of the lounge once in awhile.
    "Oderint Dum Metuant" - BMFH

"Tact is for people not witty enough to use sarcasm"

Note: any whingeing crazy that hits my PM inbox will be deleted without reply

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by JayBell View Post
    moved to OPTICS.

all these gun forums here, you post this in the ONLY non gun related forum.... "the lounge"

you people need to GTFO of the lounge once in awhile.
    That's exactly what I was thinking!!

Im in the market for something similar, but I would like to spend like 250 max on it.

I can offer no assistance or expertise, but I am going to hawk this thread for info!
    Mostly browsing these days, and expanding the collection.

Quote Originally Posted by The_War_Wagon View Post
    Anything you can buy for $100 max.

It WILL break (Barska, UTG, Sight-X, BSA, etc.), and then you will be out THAT $100, and it'll only be ANOTHER $100 extra you have to save towards a REAL optic.

Aimpoint, Trijicon, EOTech. Pinch your pennies 'til they SCREAM, if necessary, but save up for those red dots which have been PROVEN to work under duress, and you won't be left hanging when you NEED your optic to work.

NO one ever regrets QUALITY glass. Look for used ones even, on this, and other gunboards. I have an Aimpoint Comp M2 with QRP mount I bought on another board for $250, only because the guy was moving and desperate for the cash. GOOD glass can be found cheaply, but CHEAP glass is ALWAYS more expensive in the long run.
    Good points...
    ΑΣΦ

Quote Originally Posted by Adam M Geer View Post
    I am looking at about $100 max... What are some to stay away from getting??
    Stay away from ANY red dot sight costing $100. You'd be better off using iron sights until you can get an Aimpoint or EOTec.
    "It's hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
    Thomas Sowell

(Butler County)

I run an Aimpoint on mine and I just picked up a set of Troy's with tritium inserts so I can co-witness (jawns are they?) as needed.

I picked up a cheap ($50) EoTech knock-off to see how I liked it (knowing it was cheap and wouldn't be the same) before spending a couple hundred on the real thing. I found I prefer the Aimpoint from a height and functionality perspective over the knock-off.

As stated in the previous posts, I'd suggest saving up for a quality red dot over spending $100 for something and hoping you can trust it. Anything can, and will, fail best to spend the money on a higher quality item in my opinion.

I've owned several Aimpoints over the years, and would definitely recommend them (1 on my AR 180b, the other on an M1A).

If you only have $100 for a red dot to put on your AR, don't put a red dot on your AR. A cheap red dot will let you down, most likely at the worst time. Stick with irons until you can afford a decent red dot, you'll be happier with it in the long run.
    Those who beat their swords into plowshares usually end up plowing for those who didn't.

(Luzerne County)

Aimpoint, Trijicon, EOTech
    I have each of those - two Trijicons; they are each marvellous optics and seriously more than $100.
    Point - each is now on another gun. The AR.....iron sights; I prefer them, even having used the fine optics listed.
    For $100, I would buy a Tasco ProPoint PDP3 - or should I say I would buy another one. I have two now. One is on one of the heaviest recoiling guns that I own. The other is on a pistol.
    Durable and affordable.
    Pete
    “Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games.”Hemingway ...

Haunt the gun shows, picked up an old 1000 Aimpoint for $75.00 a couple of months ago. The life of an Aimpoint is unknown as two of mine are about 40 yrs. old, the only thing done to them was a battery mod to use modern batterys. They never have been cheap as we gave $189.00 apiece for them in the 70's this works out to about $4.75 a year. Side point these were used for years on coon hunting/truck guns, not an easy life.
    Courage is being scared to death--but saddling up any way. John Wayne

If you can spend a bit more, try a vortex strikefire. They are pretty cheap ($150 ish) and run almost as well as an aimpoint. seriously. It will hold you well for a while, until you decide what you really want. As I evolve as a shooter, I'm asking more and different things of my gear.

Actually sold an Aimpoint for like $200 and a bushnell eotech (same guts, no hood) for about $100, so deals are out there.

I'm currently trying to find a Burris Tac30 illuminated 1x4. Lights up at 1x like a red dot, zoom to 4 for a far shot, and if the batteries dies, it's still a scope

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast