Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default When does Scotia usually start opening on weekends again?

I'm referring to how they keep the main ranges closed up during the winter on the weekends. When do they usually start opening up the gates on weekends again?

I talked to the attendant today and he thought it wouldn't be until late April. That's a fair amount longer than I thought some of the other attendants told me it would be last year.

Also the guy today said depending on funding they may not have the part time attendants and they could keep the main ranges locked up on weekends all year. It seems stupid to have guys there during the week and keep the place locked up on weekends.

Default Re: When does Scotia usually start opening on weekends again?

Don't see how they're complaining about funds when I now have to buy a "range pass" to go shoot there...

(Mifflin County)

Quote Originally Posted by PA452 View Post
    It seems stupid to have guys there during the week and keep the place locked up on weekends.

Probably weekends pay 1 1/2 time $$ for full time workers.

Lot of cuts coming to balance the budget and this type would be prime since it effects so few people who will call and complain about it.

mark61

Quote Originally Posted by mark61 View Post
    Probably weekends pay 1 1/2 time $$ for full time workers.

Lot of cuts coming to balance the budget and this type would be prime since it effects so few people who will call and complain about it.

mark61
    But the weekend attendants are considered part time. If anything they should just cut some weekdays and pay someone to be there on the weekend. How many people can really go there during the week compared to the number that want to be there on the weekend.

I was out there today at the auxiliaries, and saw quite a few people show up, take a look around, see how many people were out there, and leave. There aren't enough backers on the auxiliaries to hold many people.

(Mifflin County)

I expect the part timers are going to be the first to lose their jobs. Those who need the money most are always the first to suffer.....

mark61

(Centre County)

Looks like the Range will be open weekends starting April 30th.

(Centre County)

I just got back from there.
    Inside range was NOT open to public.
    But there were 3 people in there shooting pistol. I believe that they are Local PD. They did open the gate and went in to shoot.

They were checking for range pass tho. Guy did came over to check our pass(except guy I went with. He had his hunting lisence on back of his jacket), and tell me that I can't have 5 rounds in my 9mm Colt.

There were one target holder on 25yd aux, and one target holder for the entire rifle aux range. Good thing I grabbed my own target holder.

And metal gate on the road was closed. So we had to park our car there, and carry all our stuff from there.

There were several group of unprepared college kids(no pass/no target) waiting, and they all left after guy came over to check for passes.
    Audemus jura nostra defendere

Quote Originally Posted by Mity2 View Post
    I just got back from there.
    Inside range was NOT open to public.
    But there were 3 people in there shooting pistol. I believe that they are Local PD. They did open the gate and went in to shoot.

They were checking for range pass tho. Guy did came over to check our pass(except guy I went with. He had his hunting lisence on back of his jacket), and tell me that I can't have 5 rounds in my 9mm Colt.

There were one target holder on 25yd aux, and one target holder for the entire rifle aux range. Good thing I grabbed my own target holder.

And metal gate on the road was closed. So we had to park our car there, and carry all our stuff from there.

There were several group of unprepared college kids(no pass/no target) waiting, and they all left after guy came over to check for passes.

He didn't know what he was talking about. According to the game commission's website you may have 6 rounds in a handgun:

(6) Possess, load or discharge a firearm that contains more than three rounds of single projectile ammunition, except as provided in subsection (c).

(c) Exceptions for a handgun range. At a Commission range specifically designated as a handgun range, it is permitted for an individual to load and discharge a handgun containing a maximum of six rounds of single projectile ammunition at any one time. Other rules and regulations pertaining to shooting ranges under Commission ownership, lease or jurisdiction shall be in effect.

link to citation:
    http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal...=937862&mode=2

I don't get that nonsense of locking the road gate during this time of year. It's stupid. It's open a good half of the year, but now they keep it locked. I come in on the southeast road, so I had to park out there and carry everything over to the aux ranges also.

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by jpg5080 View Post
    He didn't know what he was talking about.
    No he was right.
    I meant this 9mm Colt I recently bought....

Quote Originally Posted by PA452 View Post
    I don't get that nonsense of locking the road gate during this time of year. It's stupid. It's open a good half of the year, but now they keep it locked. I come in on the southeast road, so I had to park out there and carry everything over to the aux ranges also.
    I was told they do that, to prevent the local farmers to drive their big tractors from one side to the other.
    Guess they REALLY beat up the road...

Its annoying still tho
    Audemus jura nostra defendere

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast