Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: When does Scotia usually start opening on weekends again?

Quote Originally Posted by Mity2 View Post
    I was told they do that, to prevent the local farmers to drive their big tractors from one side to the other.
    Guess they REALLY beat up the road...

Its annoying still tho
    If that's what they say, that's a pretty lame excuse. I think posting a sign on each end would be sufficient.

(Centre County)

I was told they do that, to prevent the local farmers to drive their big tractors from one side to the other.
    Guess they REALLY beat up the road...
    Hah. I'm not sure the road can get any more "beat up".

I noticed the past few days the road gate has been open in the evening. I hope that's a new policy that's going to continue.

I wonder if they had some issue with all the cars parked on the south side of the gate in the evenings.

I came in on the northeast road the other day thinking the gate would be shut and I'd save myself the little walk. I'll never do that again. That road is in terrible shape, I think it's worth the walk for me to come in on the southwest.

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by PA452 View Post
    I noticed the past few days the road gate has been open in the evening. I hope that's a new policy that's going to continue.

I wonder if they had some issue with all the cars parked on the south side of the gate in the evenings.

I came in on the northeast road the other day thinking the gate would be shut and I'd save myself the little walk. I'll never do that again. That road is in terrible shape, I think it's worth the walk for me to come in on the southwest.
    I noticed that yesterday, and chalked it up to the PAGC folks being forgetful. I'm personally hoping that the increase on funds on their part will lead to the road being fixed- I saw a guy manage it on a motorcycle, but I can't imagine how.

(Centre County)

I was there this past saturday with my wife. And sunday afternoon. There were no Target holder at all at 25yd range. There were 4 over at rifle range tho. We thought that they took the holder from 25yd range, But we didn't want to accuse others, so we used some carbord box we found in the area(beer case none the less), and stapled our paper on that.
    On sunday afternoon, there were some cobbed up target holder on 25yd range, and 1 over at the rifle range.
    There were about 10 redneck commandos over at the rifle range who saw one too many Rambo movies(Tight jeans, and muscle shirts, with drop leg holster) shooting everything from AR to shotgun, running around like a chicken with head cut off in middle of range, shooting full mags.

Wife said that I should call and report it, but I have no cell service over there...

So so far, I see no improvements that may have come from their extra revenue..
    Audemus jura nostra defendere

Yeah, the target holder situation was pretty rough the past two times I've been there.

Someone recently was shooting at a lot of orange clay pigeons all over the berms on both auxiliary ranges. To be honest, I just plinked at clay chips that were scattered all over the berms.

I understand they don't want people bringing garbage in to shoot. People leave enough trash there. But I must say, it would be nice if they would allow shooting clay targets placed on the berms on the auxiliaries. They're biodegradable, and it would save on target holders.

I definitely wouldn't expect any noticeable improvements from revenue for quite a while. I actually don't expect to ever see a major improvement. I'll be interested to see numbers in the future of how many range permits they actually sell.

(Centre County)

But we didn't want to accuse others, so we used some carbord box we found in the area(beer case none the less), and stapled our paper on that.
    Haha! Saw that down there today- it's still being used.

Quote Originally Posted by PA452
    Someone recently was shooting at a lot of orange clay pigeons all over the berms on both auxiliary ranges. To be honest, I just plinked at clay chips that were scattered all over the berms.
    I know the folks that do that- they're not my favorite people, and we have a mutual agreement not to acknowledge the other's existence.
    I have been down when there are no target holders whatsoever, and nothing to fashion them out of, so I shot a few clay fragments from the shotgun range. At least I have the decency to clean up the chips, though.

(Centre County)

Looks like I'm going to have to slap together a 2x2 design to hold my cardboard. My friend built a pvc model that is supposed to slide right in to the "holders" but they were so full of mud/garbage that it wasn't too straight. Also, once you hit a back support pipe with a round, it's completely gone. Wood seems more forgiving.

(Centre County)

JP, when you pick up your gun ask me about the free standing target holders I have for sale - good price and easy to transport.

I almost always take my own target stands with me when I go to Scotia, it's just easier than trying to find anything decent there, unless you're at the "formal" ranges.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Centre County)

I built my own out of 1x1. They last Loong time, so long as my wife don't accidentally shoot up the wood part. 1x1 seems to just break away when you hit them with 9mm...
    Audemus jura nostra defendere

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast