Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default need game gun help!

Here's the deal. I'm looking for a double stack 2011 style pistol for competitions. Area shoots aren't so serious, and I don't load, so I don't think 40 or 38 super would be worth it. I'm fine with shooting minor for a while. If I ever decide to go open or limited, can I just build a new upper or fit a new barrel for it?

This pistol would be for 3 gun, Steel shoots, recreational matches and the like. I think 9mm would be the best, since it's cheap enough to shoot and my GF would be able to run it.

What I'm wondering is what's the best model to go with? I like the STI edge, since the full size appeals to me. Also, I'd like to eventually be able to put a deltapoint or similar in the dovetail for steel and fun, and then replace it with the irons when I need to. Is this feasible?

Where is the best place (besides this forum, I've been looking) to pick something like this up as inexpensively as possible?

Thanks,
    Steve

(Lawrence County)

Default Re: need game gun help!

A STI Eagle would actually be viable in USPSA Limited and L-10 while also being legal in IDPA.

Most optics are frame mounted C-mores on Open guns these days, but occasionally you see a J-point or Doctor-style setup. A frame mount will come off with a few screws and is a LOT easier than tapping out the dovetail all the time.

If you are set on optics, then 9mm is an option in Open class if you reload (it's not going to make power with factory rounds). It's perfect for steel and if you don't care about shooting Minor with iron sights (although Minor does give away a lot of points in competition).

Brazos Custom is selling the Eagle and Edge for $1746 and $1749 respectively. Dawson is about the same.

I'd probably grab an Eagle and go shooting....

Lycanthereyagothrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

(Monroe County)

Its amazing that no one mentions Para Ordnance, they pretty much invented the genre, Take a look at Paras.

Mike

(Lawrence County)

Quote Originally Posted by mrnyman View Post
    Its amazing that no one mentions Para Ordnance, they pretty much invented the genre, Take a look at Paras.

Mike
    I like Paras, but in the game circles they have a reputation of being loose and having soft internal parts.

LycanToddJarrettmaycometomyhouseandbeatmyasshtrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

I like em loose with soft internal parts... wait, you meant guns?

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Lycanthrope View Post
    A STI Eagle would actually be viable in USPSA Limited and L-10 while also being legal in IDPA.

Most optics are frame mounted C-mores on Open guns these days, but occasionally you see a J-point or Doctor-style setup. A frame mount will come off with a few screws and is a LOT easier than tapping out the dovetail all the time.

If you are set on optics, then 9mm is an option in Open class if you reload (it's not going to make power with factory rounds). It's perfect for steel and if you don't care about shooting Minor with iron sights (although Minor does give away a lot of points in competition).

Brazos Custom is selling the Eagle and Edge for $1746 and $1749 respectively. Dawson is about the same.

I'd probably grab an Eagle and go shooting....

Lycanthereyagothrope
    Don't forget Shooter's Connection - http://shootersconnectionstore.com/C...arms-C305.aspx
    Friends don't let friends buy Taurus's

(Westmoreland County)

Don't rule out a 40 S&W. You can load it minor for steel and 3 gun. If you get serious about USPSA, you will already have the gun best suited for the sport.

(Perry County)

Hzox221 makes a good point. The most important thing the OP can do now, in my opinion, is really think hard about what he wants. What "games" does he want to play at, and what does he really want to excel at? Unfortunately, I found that my interests drifted and required new acquisitions. Still, if one doesn't have a pretty clear idea of where they want to go they will nearly always be lost. So really focus on what is available as far as venues and then push to get a competitive rig for that venue, and focus on that with the other venues as simply fun days with a gun.

By the way I've shot at Topton and many of those guys strike me as pretty serious competitors.

(Westmoreland County)

As stated earlier an STI Eagle may be a better choice for you. It can be used for USPSA and IDPA. The non-bull barrel would be a better platform to build up an Open Gun in the future. As Jeff said, most optics are on mounts that attach to the frame. Slide mounted optics tend to not last long. Most peoplewho run them, have 2-3 spares in their bags. C-mores are common, but Aimpont, Doktor, STS, etc are still used often, it is more a matter of personal preference. I run a C-more, but my favorite scope was a Tasco PDP-4(47mm Tube), too bad I kept braking them and Tasco ran out of replacements. It was like having a soup can on top of the gun, but you never had any difficulty finding the dot.

Some good shooters run Para's, but they have replaced everything but the frame. In fact, most top shooters running Para's are using custom guns built from just a Para frame.

My suggestion would be to go to several matches prior to buying a pistol. Ask what people are using, most shooters will allow you to put a mag down range to get the feel of the gun. Some Shooters like me, prefer a heavy gun. Others prefer a severally lightened gun. Once again it is a matter of personal preference. Too many people start out whith a pre-concieved notion of what they need, run out and buy a gun that really doesn't fit their needs. Remember, action shooting is a mix or speed, accuracy, power. You have to balance mag capacity and power factors.

Remember there is a reason why they call these race guns. Most standard pistols will run fine going to the range and shooting at normal targets. But once you start running them at top speed, stuff happens. Mags fail, parts break, springs don't cycle right. Most serious shooters, will tinker with their guns to get them to cycle at their desired pace. A top shooter can pull the trigger at a rate of 500++ rpm's accurately.

Good luck and keep asking questions.

Also as stated before Topton puts on great matches.
    Last edited by hzox221; March 4th, 2011 at 09:36 PM.