Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Northumberland County)

Default First time buyer, looking at Beretta Px4, have questions

I live in eastern PA where there are a few local gun stores, and I'm really interested in this particular gun. I researched it, and it seems like a highly touted and popular model for it's ease of use and dis-assembly for cleaning.

I'm just wondering if anyone else has found it to be available at this point since it's been out for a few years. Would it be likely I'd have to order it? And if do find it, can I pay with cash? I know it's a stupid question, but my wife and mother live with me and they'd pinch a loaf if they knew I was interested in owning a gun.

Any info or advice you can give me on where I can find this particular gun, and other tips for new owners would be appreciated. Thanks

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: First time buyer, looking at Beretta Px4, have questions

I am going to guess that this will be your first handgun purchase. There is nothing wrong with this, yet I want you to be able to walk before you can run. Here are some important questions to ask yourself before buying any weapon:

What do I intend to use it for?
    Should I get some training?
    Can I shoot it before I buy it?
    How much do I plan to shoot?
    How much does ammo cost?
    Can I carry it?

The list can go on and on, yet I am sure you get the point. I have handled the Px4 and it is a good firearm. I highly recommend that you find a local range that rents guns and shoot a handful of them before you buy anything. I am also going to guess that you have not handled a Px4 and have become enamored by its looks (because its specs are damn near the same as about 15 other models on the market).

I am about to make a suggestion that you do not want to hear, if you are looking to buy a first handgun you should buy a 22 LR like a Ruger Mark III, Browning Buckmark or S&W 22A. (The 22A is a real bargain at around 300 bucks new)

Why a 22? Shooting a 22 is inexpensive and it helps establish excellent basics. The basics are everything in marksmanship. Complicated mumbo jumbo is just that... mumbo jumbo. Sight picture, trigger control and grip of a handgun are everything!!! A 22 has mild recoil and ammunition is very inexpensive, a fantastic and fun way to learn how to handle handguns.

As for your family situation, you should work on that. Yes you can buy a firearm with cash, after all reserve notes are legal tender for all debts public and private. Get a 22 and take them shooting after you get some training. Oh, I am jumping around, buy some training... it is worth every dollar. Look around on this forum and you will find reasonably priced training that may save your life or the life of someone you care about.

You are on the right path, you are seeking knowledge. I know I did not answer the specific question you asked. However, what you asked was not as important as what I answered. Continue to educate yourself.

As for the expense of firearms of firearms, there is much more to consider than just the cost of the gun itself. Here is an itemized list of what the first time gun buyer should consider buying as well:

(Suppose you were buying a PX4 in 9mm)

Small lock box for gun: 60 USD
    Cleaning kit: 20 USD
    Misc. cleaning supplies: 20 USD
    500 rounds of ammo: 120 USD
    OWB holster: 60 USD
    2 additional magazines: 60 USD
    Eye and ear protection: 30 USD
    Introductory Training: 200 USD
    Beretta PX4: 600 USD

When you add it up it comes out to about twice the cost of just the pistol, and that is before buying a range membership (about 165 for a good indoor range in my area per year). Keep reading and learning, you will get there.
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

(Northumberland County)

Thank you for the information. I probably sound like I know nothing about guns, but I have practiced before with a .22 and a .38 that my father owns. All of the boys in my family are hunters, so I have had practice in proper handling procedures and feel like I can learn the rest as I go. I just haven't been interested in owning a gun until recently since I was in college and didn't have much time for shooting.

I do only plan on taking it to a local range, but I'm pretty sold on the Px4 storm for home protection as well. I just feel like if I'm going to buy a gun, I'd rather get something I like and know will last me a while. I have about $900 to work with, and would consider a used gun or other models if I couldn't find the Storm. With that said, I'll consider your suggestions for alternative purchases.

I still would like to know of any gun shops still offer the Storm if anyone has seen it recently. Thanks again, and continue to leave comments/advice as I am still somewhat new to the nuances of gun purchasing and ownership.

(Luzerne County)

When I first retired from the NJSP in 1991, I moved to my place in West Virginia and opened up a gun shop which I operated for six years before closing it and moving up here to Luzerne County in NEPA. Almost any gun shop can order you the Beretta Px4 of your choice, so my suggestion to you would be to visit some of the local gun shops in your area, find one you feel comfortable with, and order it from them.

Regarding the Px4 itself, I own a Type F (that's the double action/single action version) Full-Size .40 S&W with Trijicon night sights. It's one of my favorite pistols and is my primary house gun. It resides on my night stand loaded with Remington 165gr Golden Sabers in a 17rd magazine with an extra one beside it. It's also equipped with an Insight M3X weapon light mounted on its rail.

My Px4 is very accurate, felt recoil is mild, the trigger is better than most for a DA/SA pistol, and, most importantly, it has been 100% reliable from the first round I fired from it till now. I'd recommend the Px4 Storm Type F or G Full-Size to anyone though I can't comment on the other sizes and configurations though I have spoken to a few people who own the Type C (double action only model) who didn't care for the trigger on them.

By the way, I've carried this and other pistols of similar size and they are easily concealable with the right holster and clothing choices.

Good luck with your quest and keep us updated!
    Steve: NJ State Trooper #3936 (retired), NRA LE Firearms Instructor

(Philadelphia County)

The best training I've ever had is running around with a stick in the woods, pretending its a rifle. Thats more for maneuvering and moving without being seen than muzzle control, but I made absolutely sure not to let my stick cross anyone or anything I wasn't willing to destroy. I corrected myself when I lapsed. Try it, it works. We were on to something when we were little kids.

I have a good gun collections. I usually try to buy tried and true products. My handguns are mostly 4 92/96, 8040, Px4 Berettas, Glocks 21.23.19, 3 1911s, 24/7, EAA, Ruger 22LR, Phoenix 22LR, 686 and Colt King Cobra. So only a couple times have I gambled on non brand name guns.

As I mentioned I do own a PX4 in 45acp its reputed as being Berettas strongest desgined auto pistol along with the Cougar. It is unique to the other Berettas in take down ,look and feel but close enough that everything familar. I'd rate it a top quality gun very ergonomic and easy to shoot. It seems to be pretty accurate recoils a little less then my 1911s because of the rotating barrel and grip angle. It seems to be a solid design gun with lots of features a gun man would like.

Only advantage that it has over the 92 design is Compactness, round off edges, stronger slide design and lighter weight. I think the 92 design in more reliable then the Cougar design.
    Last edited by Neko456; March 7th, 2011 at 04:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by shootforthrills View Post
    And if do find it, can I pay with cash? I know it's a stupid question, but my wife and mother live with me and they'd pinch a loaf if they knew I was interested in owning a gun.
    The cash question is easy: small dealers get soaked on credit card fees, so they LOVE cash and can often cut you a better deal if you pay in green.

The other part, about keeping a gun secret from the people closest to you, is tricky. You say they'd pinch a loaf if they knew you were interested? Imagine the loaf when they find out that you bought a gun and didn't tell them! This is a personal thing, and every situation is different, but I really think education is a better policy than evasion.

I don't know anything about the PX4, but Cabela's has it for $520, plus lots of other pistols to try out.

(Philadelphia County)

I own a PX4 Sub-Compact in 40 S&W and like it very much.
    If you learned on 22lr and 38 Special you should be able to step up to a 9mm or 40 S&W
    without problem. The full size and compact have rotating barrels and they tame recoil very well so I don't see why going to a 40 caliber would be a problem. Be sure to read through the manual thoroughly and to memorize anything written in red !
    The 40 S&W is a very good man stopper and should suffice as a carry and home weapon.
    Going to a range to get the feel of the gun would also be wise and there's usually folks there to help you through. Other guns you might want to consider are Glock Models 19 or 23, Sig Sauer P220 or 229, Beretta 92 FS, CZ 75 BD, S&W M&P 40, and Ruger SR-9 and SR9-C. Any of these would work along with the Storm. On Glock and some M&P's there is no Manual safety, they are in the trigger mechanism. If you don't want to fire the gun, keep your hand off the trigger. Apply that rule to all guns and you'll be pretty safe.
    You Can Take My Gun When You Pry it From My Dead, Cold, Hand !

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by shootforthrills View Post
    I live in eastern PA where there are a few local gun stores, and I'm really interested in this particular gun. I researched it, and it seems like a highly touted and popular model for it's ease of use and dis-assembly for cleaning.

I'm just wondering if anyone else has found it to be available at this point since it's been out for a few years. Would it be likely I'd have to order it? And if do find it, can I pay with cash? I know it's a stupid question, but my wife and mother live with me and they'd pinch a loaf if they knew I was interested in owning a gun.

Any info or advice you can give me on where I can find this particular gun, and other tips for new owners would be appreciated. Thanks
    Hello,
    I was looking for the PX4 compact the other day. There is a gun shop in Alden called Piestrack's which has all 3 PX4 storms (full size, compact ans sub compact) behind the counter. I was looking at the compact and I think they wanted $495. They do charge an extra 2% for using credit/debit.

There is another shop in Pittston called Advanced Arms, they did not have in stock but could order it and their price was $470 for cash or debit and a little more for credit.
    I have bought a gun from both places and Piestraks was fine but I did find that for a first time buyer Chris or Mary at Advanced Arms were excellent!!!!!!! There is a reason I remembered their names over the guy at Piestrak's.

Both places are only about 15 min from Wilkes-Barre.
    Good luck and have fun.

(Luzerne County)

FWIW, I've lived in the Wilkes-Barre area for 12 years now. Piestrak's is my gun shop of choice. Ken, the owner, is a great guy and his prices are hard to beat.

Here's my Px4 and its box label.

Steve: NJ State Trooper #3936 (retired), NRA LE Firearms Instructor

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast