Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
    (Luzerne County)

Default Re: Can I Carry Handguns In A Bar?

Just for general information: THIS IS RE: VIRGINIA ONLY

In Virginia, you CANNOT carry CONCEALED in any establishment that serves alcohol, but you CAN carry OPEN CARRY in same. (The legislature has changed that twice, but the Governor has vetoed it.)

(As always, if asked to leave while open carrying - DO IT!)

To be clear - if a restaurant serves (technically, has license to) ANY alcohol for on-premises consumption, you CANNOT concealed carry.
    (Don't look at me - that's just Virginia. )
    (Just moved to PA from VA.)

^^ BE CAREFUL!

My parents and siblings live in VA and are all avid gun owners. Just be aware that, in Virginia, CONCEALED means any part of clothing covering any part of the gun (according to what they've told me).

So, if you are carrying in your side holster, and your shirt drapes down on top of the gun, even a little, that's considered concealed in VA, and you'll go up the river for carrying concealed in a bar.

(York County)

this has been a very interesting thread. i think the original question has been answered thoroughly and several other good points have been made. there's not much more to add but i'll try my two cents.

When I made the decision to own firearms for self defense, made the decision to get a LTCF, made the decision to carry everyday, etc, I think a certain responsibility and loss of innocence automatically goes with that. I'm not talking about knowing how to use your firearm or taking classes. I'm talking about the responsibility you have undertaken for the safety of your own self and family, in my situation that of myself and my wife. The loss of innocence part is when you realize that your safety is not to be taken for granted in this world. The police may not be able to save you and the reality is that random crime is random and real. You are vulnerable to it right now. You always will be.

So when you take on this responsibility and this sense of awareness, you give up a few things. And for me personally, one of them is getting good and sloshed. Now I still love a good beer with dinner or at a backyard bbq and I think this can be done without losing your edge or your senses. Everyone has their limits and you need to ultra aware of yours if you're a person who takes their safety and that of their loved ones seriously. But in regards to being drunk, does it matter if you're carrying at a bar or drinking at home? No. Random crime is random. Some guy on the street or a home invasion, both are situations we have to consider. And if you are drunk you cannot respond properly. Period. You could be at home sitting on a pile of ammo and if you're wasted, whats it matter? Bad guy wins. You lose.

I've got a case of molson in my fridge right now. Like usual it will take me weeks to get through it one beer at a time. But I accept responsibility for my personal safety and I accept a limit on alcohol as part of that. Just my two cents.
    Those who beat their swords into plough shares shall plough for those who don't

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456