Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    (Luzerne County)

Default Re: Can I Carry Handguns In A Bar?

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpshooter9x19 View Post
    Ok, Here's a question: Why would anyone want to? Honestly, think back to your youth and some of the stupid things you've done while under the influence.
    Ok, I thought about it... Not sure what those things I did as a youth have to do with *me*, *now*.
    I do not go out and get drunk and do stupid things. Therefor I'm 100% unconcerned about *me* doing something stupid as a result of being in a bar or drinking alcohol while carrying.

If one feels they can not control their behavior while drinking (or any other time) I would suggest and hope that one would NOT carry while drinking, or possibly at all.

Also, if you feel that your safety warrants you carrying in a specific bar, then you shouldn't be there in the first place.
    I agree. But I will basically echo gnbrotz's reply in that I carry where legal. If I do NOT have a reason to believe I *need* a firearm there. Including a "bar".

I don't ever want to have to use my weapon and then have my mental state come under scrutiny due to having alcohol in my system.
    I can't wrap my head around this logic...
    If you are in a situation where you need to defend yourself with deadly force, I'm going to assume that you are very likely to be dead or seriously injured if you are not armed.
    So, the situation you are concerned about, that is unfolding without your say, really only has two options.
    1) Be unarmed victim and end up dead
    2) Defend yourself *and live* because you are armed and face "scrutiny" later.

I will choose option #2, Live and face scrutiny, every single time. Versus being dead.
    Last edited by Pa. Patriot; March 14th, 2009 at 12:19 PM.

danbus wrote: ...Like I said before, I open carry because you don't, I fight for all my rights because
    you won't, I will not sit with my thumb up my bum and complain, because you will.
    Remember Meleanie

(Allegheny County)

Again, it needs to be pointed out:

Just because you are IN a bar does not mean you are drinking!

Objecting to someone carrying and drinking alcohol has no bearing on whether or not carrying in a bar is legal (which it is), or if carrying and having a few is legal (which it is.)

I, personally carry in bars on a regular basis in Oakland. I don't drink. I go for the food and for my friends. In one of the bars, not drinking is a condition the owner has put on my carrying there. Otherwise myself and my firearm are welcome.

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by wryekid View Post
    Just out of curiousness, why do you care if it is legal to carry in a bar? If you are worried about it then CC. If you CC then nobody should even know you have a gun except you. Just don't pull a Plaxico Burris....
    He's worried about it because he is a law abiding citizen. Please do not, even subtly, suggest that folks CC where unlawful here.

Quote Originally Posted by wryekid View Post
    Besides all of that, it is your responsibility to be responsible. Don't do anything stupid...
    Agreed. Including following the law.

danbus wrote: ...Like I said before, I open carry because you don't, I fight for all my rights because
    you won't, I will not sit with my thumb up my bum and complain, because you will.
    Remember Meleanie

Glade Mill Lake, Cooperstown, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

I'd rather be alive and have my mental health scrutinized than dead.

When I'm out in a "social situation" like going to the bar with friends it's generally the most people I surround myself with. I usually drinking at the city where's there's much higher chance of needing to defend myself.

Yes, I carry when I drink. I'm generally the DD and as general rule I never get too intoxicated to operate anything I may need to operate. Be it my car, my gun, or my penis.

P-11nowhiskeydickSHOOTER

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by lildobe View Post
    Again, it needs to be pointed out:

Just because you are IN a bar does not mean you are drinking!
    Yeah, good point, of course. But lets not tip toe around the other good point.

It also needs pointed out that some folks, myself included, are unconcerned with *my* having a drink while carrying.

Just last night we stopped at Grotta Pizza. I rarely drink in public, but I do indulge in an occasional public beverage. Last night was an example of just that. I had a draft beer with my dinner and am completely unconcerned with it being a problem. Because it won't be.

A firearm carried in a holster is like a car parked in your driveway with the keys in your pocket. You have the means to use it, but if drinking chose not to. I don't lock up my keys or give them to a neighbor when I have a couple drinks at home. And I don't do it with my sidearm either. In a dire emergency, that warranted the use of either, they are available to me. Drinking or not. I'm not going to get buzzed and then make a bad decision to go out and use the car when I should not have. Same as the sidearm in my holster.

Again, if you are the type of person who can not control yourself while drinking or that makes bad choices when drinking, don't carry. Better yet, don't drink. I'm not giving up my means of self defense because I have a drink or two.

As always JMHO ~ YMMV

Remember Meleanie

Quote Originally Posted by P-11 shooter View Post
    I'd rather be alive and have my mental health scrutinized than dead.

When I'm out in a "social situation" like going to the bar with friends it's generally the most people I surround myself with. I usually drinking at the city where's there's much higher chance of needing to defend myself.

Yes, I carry when I drink. I'm generally the DD and as general rule I never get too intoxicated to operate anything I may need to operate. Be it my car, my gun, or my penis.

P-11nowhiskeydickSHOOTER
    Nice. And yours & PA Patriot's points regarding mental state are valid. Better to be judged by 12 than carried by six...

(Luzerne County)

Nice. And yours & PA Patriot's points regarding mental state are valid. Better to be judged by 12 than carried by six...
    Yup, drinking does not necessarily mean responsibility goes out the window.

But after all this counter argument, lets remember your point was valid too. Some folks DO have a problem remaining responsible when they drink. And for those they should not carry when drinking. (or not drink <-better option). Yeah, that's a broken record now, I'll stop

Remember Meleanie

(Allegheny County)

if you feel that your safety warrants you carrying in a specific bar, then you shouldn't be there in the first place.
    hey man...can i borrow your crystal ball?

mine's broken.

and i gotta fill out my ncaa brackets...

F*S=k

(Schuylkill County)

If you are going to a bar to get "drunk" I would leave the gun at home, practice safe gun handling, If your going for 1 drink I see no problem in carrying, I go bowling every other weekend and theres a bar located in the bowling alley , I normally get 1 drink then bowl for about 2 hours, never have I been told to get out of the bar with my firearm. And I am aware of my actions at all times
    "Sector 7 Hottie On HorseBack"

(Lehigh County)

In Philly I would carry a flame thrower

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast