Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    (York County)

Default Re: Can I Carry Handguns In A Bar?

IMHO bars and churches are the two places you should carry. Bars are places where some drunken asshole gets his feelings hurt and goes out to the car/truck and returns with a gun to defend his honor. Churches on the other hand seem to attract the lunatic fringe that believes their religion is better than yours, and think the best way to prove that is to shoot the place up some sunday morning. I believe that just happened somewhere not too long ago.
    " The Seeds of Oppression Will One Day Bear The Fruit of Rebellion."

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpshooter9x19 View Post
    Ok, Here's a question: Why would anyone want to? Honestly, think back to your youth and some of the stupid things you've done while under the influence. Also, if you feel that your safety warrants you carrying in a specific bar, then you shouldn't be there in the first place.
    Ask Dimebag Darrel his opinion on carrying in a bar for self-defense, even in places legally off-limits. BTW, you'll need to do a seance to ask him.

I do agree though that if you feel/know a place is unsafe that its wiser not to go, but even peaceful places have nutbags come into them.

Valid point, but would you want to shoot in a crowded, dark place after a few beers? If you're luckier than Dimebag (RIP) and dont end up dead before you hit the ground would you want to shoot at a muzzleflash? You can get killed walkin your doggie. Dimebag's death was blind simple, stupid, bad luck. I'm not saying I've never done it, but when I did (and do) I am the designated driver. I don't ever want to have to use my weapon and then have my mental state come under scrutiny due to having alcohol in my system.
    Last edited by Sharpshooter9x19; March 14th, 2009 at 09:58 AM. Reason: damned syntax....

(Mercer County)

Valid point, but would you want to shoot in a crowded, dark place after a few beers? If you're luckier than Dimebag (RIP) and dont end up dead before you hit the ground would you want to shoot at a muzzleflash? You can get killed walkin your doggie. Dimebag's death was blind simple stupid bad luck.
    The search function is your friend.

There are many threads where members here have said they wouldn't carry if they were hitting the sauce. Just because you go to a bar doesn't mean you're drinking. Maybe you're going for the social aspect.

As far as the crowd, I suppose you would be against carrying in malls, retail stores, etc....

As far as being in the dark, I doubt you'll find anyone here that would be willing to fire blindly and *hope* they hit the bad guy.

If you're at a booth or table with your friends, or perhaps using the restroom and some bad guy walks up and demands your cash or threatens your friends, what would you do? Without a gun, you're either losing your wallet or your friends - ether way, you're a helpless victim.

Quote Originally Posted by Paradigm View Post
    The search function is your friend.

There are many threads where members here have said they wouldn't carry if they were hitting the sauce. Just because you go to a bar doesn't mean you're drinking. Maybe you're going for the social aspect.

As far as the crowd, I suppose you would be against carrying in malls, retail stores, etc....

As far as being in the dark, I doubt you'll find anyone here that would be willing to fire blindly and *hope* they hit the bad guy.

If you're at a booth or table with your friends, or perhaps using the restroom and some bad guy walks up and demands your cash or threatens your friends, what would you do? Without a gun, you're either losing your wallet or your friends - ether way, you're a helpless victim.
    Would you shoot at a target if you couldn't identify it? What if, instead of a muzzleflash it was a camera flash? and as far as the crowd comment it was supposed with "A crowded, DARK place. You made my point exactly with your statement: "As far as being in the dark, I doubt you'll find anyone here that would be willing to fire blindly and *hope* they hit the bad guy."

Your supposition on me being against carrying in crowded places is flat wrong. I carry routinely, ESPECIALLY in crowded places. More of a chance for a "bad guy" to do something stupid (law of averages).

Last question I'd pose to you: Would you draw down on someone that has a gun to your face while your using the restroom, or sitting in a booth, or would you hand over your money? My wallet is not worth my life. I'm not an armchair commentator on this. I've shot my weapon and been shot at while serving as a United States Marine. Being shot at and the threat of being shot at is scary (especially after the adrenaline wears off). I'm not about to make my wife a widow by trying to draw on someone who already has their weapon in my face unless I feel that I will get shot regardless.

And as far as the search function being my friend, it's your friend too. And now I think I've made another in you! Great points all around.

(Philadelphia County)

Carry is legal in bars in PA. Lots of people do it (myself included).

Low and behold, the streets are not awash in blood and we don't have the old "wild west" in every pub, barroom and tavern.

What shootings we do have in and around bars can be directly linked to thugs, very often if not always with a criminal record history as would be expected of someone who would indiscriminately light up a crowded city street for no valid reason, and who are barred from gun possession anywhere, anyway.

As an unarguable matter of fact, carry in bars by the law abiding is a non-issue.

(Somerset County)

Quote Originally Posted by gnbrotz View Post
    I'm curious how you know when and where you will/won't need to have a firearm?

I don't "want" to carry a firearm at all. I carry one just about all the time because I accept the responsibility of protecting myself and my family. I don't frequent 'bars', but if I have an occasion to be there, I will be carrying. Not because I believe that place is more or less dangerous than anywhere else I go, but because I carry wherever I go.
    I don't frequent bars either but if I find myself in one I will certainly be armed .
    +REP to you .
    Don't blame me ; I voted for an American .

(Monroe County)

Last question I'd pose to you: Would you draw down on someone that has a gun to your face while your using the restroom, or sitting in a booth, or would you hand over your money? My wallet is not worth my life. I'm not an armchair commentator on this. I've shot my weapon and been shot at while serving as a United States Marine. Being shot at and the threat of being shot at is scary (especially after the adrenaline wears off). I'm not about to make my wife a widow by trying to draw on someone who already has their weapon in my face unless I feel that I will get shot regardless.
    Funny you bring this up. I was out last week at an upscale bar having a few drinks with some friends when a gentleman and I started having a conversation because he over heard our talk of politics. In fact, he is a retired marine, and in fact, he has used his gun in self defense both as an active duty soldier and a civilian.

Also, when he used his gun, he was in a bar. He was down south and was accosted and roughed up by a group of hell's angels in the bathroom of a bar, they told him he wouldn't make it to his car alive when he left that night.
    As promised, when he went to leave, they moved in on him, and he fired, killing one, straight to the head. He was in there with his mother and father getting a bite to eat...

A friend of mine has been bartending for a couple years now, but a few months ago he retired.
    Why? Well it was last call one night and he asked kindly for one man who had been an asshole all night, to please leave as they were closing up. They guy gave him a hard time and cursed him out and finally left. 30 minutes later after the place was closed up the guy came back with a rifle and blew about a dozen rounds through the side building... Luckily nobody was hurt and that jackass is in jail.

Anywhere I go I'm armed. If I plan on going out and getting bombed I'm probably not going to a bar, but a friends house. I don't go to the bar to get wasted, I go to hang out with my friends and chat up the gorgeous women. Getting wasted and looking like a fool infront of either parties is not on my priority list.
    Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    let them eventually bring the FBI to kill my wife and son over fucking chickens....

(Centre County)

Just out of curiousness, why do you care if it is legal to carry in a bar? If you are worried about it then CC. If you CC then nobody should even know you have a gun except you. Just don't pull a Plaxico Burris....

Besides all of that, it is your responsibility to be responsible. Don't do anything stupid...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Brandon

Quote Originally Posted by jcabin View Post
    Funny you bring this up. I was out last week at an upscale bar having a few drinks with some friends when a gentleman and I started having a conversation because he over heard our talk of politics. In fact, he is a retired marine, and in fact, he has used his gun in self defense both as an active duty soldier and a civilian.

Also, when he used his gun, he was in a bar. He was down south and was accosted and roughed up by a group of hell's angels in the bathroom of a bar, they told him he wouldn't make it to his car alive when he left that night.
    As promised, when he went to leave, they moved in on him, and he fired, killing one, straight to the head. He was in there with his mother and father getting a bite to eat...

A friend of mine has been bartending for a couple years now, but a few months ago he retired.
    Why? Well it was last call one night and he asked kindly for one man who had been an asshole all night, to please leave as they were closing up. They guy gave him a hard time and cursed him out and finally left. 30 minutes later after the place was closed up the guy came back with a rifle and blew about a dozen rounds through the side building... Luckily nobody was hurt and that jackass is in jail.

Anywhere I go I'm armed. If I plan on going out and getting bombed I'm probably not going to a bar, but a friends house. I don't go to the bar to get wasted, I go to hang out with my friends and chat up the gorgeous women. Getting wasted and looking like a fool infront of either parties is not on my priority list.
    Valid points & good examples. Rep sent

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast