Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Colt Defender 9mm Short Review

My wife got a 9mm Defender "for Valentine's"

We took it out to the range once so far and put about 200 - 250 rounds down the pipe using various ammo (Wolf 145gr JHP, Black Hills 147gr subsonic, Remington unknown JHP, Speer 124gr FMJ, Blazer 115gr FMJ brass). Here are a few impressions:

Cons:

1. The trigger seems slightly gritty, not smooth like the Kimber TLR/RL II 1911 that we so love. I'm looking into getting a trigger job done on it.

2. It choked on hollow points frequently. It also choked on 115gr Blazer brass for my wife initially. I had no problem with any ball ammo. I think it may have something to do with #3 below and the way my wife grips the gun. She locks her weak thumb over her right thumb. I shoot with both thumbs forward aligned below the slide. We'll see after 500 rounds how reliable the gun is.

3. The finger grooves on the grip are too wide for my wife's small hands while they fit me perfectly. I ordered a set of Pachmeyer grips which wraps around, but without finger groves for her.

4. No aftermarket mags (none that I could find), so it's $35/mag if you want anything extra

5. Mags don't fit standard 1911 mag holder (expected), but I haven't found one that will fit yet

Pros:

1. It's a nice looking gun, a Colt, and a 1911 ... great to celebrate 100th year of service

2. Good sights, very clear

3. Light weight, even though stainless, it weighs about the same as my Glock 26. The Colt is 1 oz heavier.

4. Something about it seems natural for quicker follow up shots for me even though I don't usually shoot 1911's.

5. Quicker take down than typical 1911. No need for a barrel bushing wrench. Field strip is just as easy and almost as quick as Glocks.

So far, my wife is not totally impressed because it doesn't have the same overall feel of her Kimber. Most of it though is due to the trigger. Having the gun jammed on her on HP ammo doesn't really help. We are going to the range Sunday and will update.

Some photos...

Al

(Monroe County)

Default Re: Colt Defender 9mm Short Review

The Colt defender is such a beautiful gun but it is hampered by that Stupid wraparound grip that Colt insist on putting on it, if i were to buy one the first thing i would do is to replace the grips with something like this.

Nyman
    Attached Images Attached Images

(Cumberland County)

Cool Re: Colt Defender 9mm Short Review

Break-in Period
    As you know with your Kimber they recommend 400-500 rounds of FMJ ammo
    cleaning after every 100-150 rounds.Then run about 50 rounds of your carry
    ammo should work fine. For mags did you try midway usa.com.

Quote Originally Posted by Grillman View Post
    Break-in Period
    456 - He beat me that reply, welcome to the world of 1911s or PPKs or pre 1985s Browning high powers just to name a few.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by mrnyman View Post
    The Colt defender is such a beautiful gun but it is hampered by that Stupid wraparound grip that Colt insist on putting on it, if i were to buy one the first thing i would do is to replace the grips with something like this.

Nyman
    Oh, I hear you. I'm getting her at least a couple more sets of grips, including a set of woods that will have the Colt medallions on them.

Quote Originally Posted by Grillman View Post
    Break-in Period
    Quote Originally Posted by Neko456 View Post
    456 - He beat me that reply, welcome to the world of 1911s or PPKs or pre 1985s Browning high powers just to name a few.
    Yeah, we anticipated the break-in round count. Given that I had no trouble with any ball ammo since the get go, it's pretty impressive for a 1911. Worst case scenario, she'll carry Corbon Pow'R Ball.

The $35/mag is from midway, BTW.

Al

(Philadelphia County)

OK, so we put a set of Pachmyer wrap around onto the gun, cleaned it, oiled it and took it to the range again. 150 rounds or so, both JHP and FMJ, no jams whatsoever, no problem feeding. 1 round didn't go off, but the primer looks pretty dented so it was the round. The Silver Bear 145gr HP didn't lock the slide back on the last round 3 or 4 times though, which was peculiar.

Anyway, the white insert on the front sight fell off. It's a thin tiny disc and we were lucky to be able to find it. I just super glued it back on and it seems to stay on pretty good. Kinda shitty though since it's reputable Novak sights.

Overall, it is great. Seems that the gun is broken in. We'll see what happens next trip, but we have great confident in it now.

Here's an updated shot with the new grip:

Al

(Westmoreland County)

Absolutely beautiful Colt. Congrats. Glad to hear it's a reliable shooter now. Shame about the Novak sights, never heard of that happening before.

Tooltech might be able to drill those out for you and install tritium vials.

http://www.tooltechgunsight.com/index.html

ETA:

They have a newly designed site and it's only half-organized. Here's the Colt auto page: http://www.tooltechgunsight.com/page18.html
    Last edited by King 5.45; March 6th, 2011 at 05:22 PM.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Nic View Post
    Absolutely beautiful Colt. Congrats. Glad to hear it's a reliable shooter now. Shame about the Novak sights, never heard of that happening before.
    Thanks Nic!

Quote Originally Posted by King 5.45 View Post
    Tooltech might be able to drill those out for you and install tritium vials.

http://www.tooltechgunsight.com/index.html

ETA:

They have a newly designed site and it's only half-organized. Here's the Colt auto page: http://www.tooltechgunsight.com/page18.html
    Thanks for the info there King. I'm not gonna spend nearly $200 to drill the sights though. A set of TFO for 1911 will cost less and wife prefers TFO.

Al