My wife got a 9mm Defender "for Valentine's"

We took it out to the range once so far and put about 200 - 250 rounds down the pipe using various ammo (Wolf 145gr JHP, Black Hills 147gr subsonic, Remington unknown JHP, Speer 124gr FMJ, Blazer 115gr FMJ brass). Here are a few impressions:

Cons:

1. The trigger seems slightly gritty, not smooth like the Kimber TLR/RL II 1911 that we so love. I'm looking into getting a trigger job done on it.

2. It choked on hollow points frequently. It also choked on 115gr Blazer brass for my wife initially. I had no problem with any ball ammo. I think it may have something to do with #3 below and the way my wife grips the gun. She locks her weak thumb over her right thumb. I shoot with both thumbs forward aligned below the slide. We'll see after 500 rounds how reliable the gun is.

3. The finger grooves on the grip are too wide for my wife's small hands while they fit me perfectly. I ordered a set of Pachmeyer grips which wraps around, but without finger groves for her.

4. No aftermarket mags (none that I could find), so it's $35/mag if you want anything extra

5. Mags don't fit standard 1911 mag holder (expected), but I haven't found one that will fit yet

Pros:

1. It's a nice looking gun, a Colt, and a 1911 ... great to celebrate 100th year of service

2. Good sights, very clear

3. Light weight, even though stainless, it weighs about the same as my Glock 26. The Colt is 1 oz heavier.

4. Something about it seems natural for quicker follow up shots for me even though I don't usually shoot 1911's.

5. Quicker take down than typical 1911. No need for a barrel bushing wrench. Field strip is just as easy and almost as quick as Glocks.

So far, my wife is not totally impressed because it doesn't have the same overall feel of her Kimber. Most of it though is due to the trigger. Having the gun jammed on her on HP ammo doesn't really help. We are going to the range Sunday and will update.

Some photos...

Al