Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Philadelphia County)

Question New shooter needs help.

Hello all, I am just getting interested in the shooting sports. I am planning on purchasing a 22lr. I have not fired a rifle since summer camp, almost 32 years ago. I do plan on taking the NRA Basic Rifle course at Lower Providence Rod and Gun Club in July. I would like to not embarrass myself. I am right handed but left eye dominant. I don't even know whether to buy a left handed or right handed rifle. In other forums and through research, it has been suggested that it is easier to learn to shoot a long gun left handed than to try to re-train my eyes. I was hoping to maybe meet with someone, to familiarize myself with a rifle. I would happily pay for the range time and rifle rental and whatever you desired for your time and expertise. Thank you for considering my request.

Tim
    Mt. Airy, Philadelphia

(Cumberland County)

Default Re: New shooter needs help.

Well if you cant find anyone closer I'm in Mechanicsburg (west side of Harrisburg). If we can get our schedules to match I have a Mossberg 702 plinkster that is 22LR. Just PM me if you don't mind the drive. Its 1:50 from the Philadelphia airport.

(Montgomery County)

You're bout 30mins from me. I'm a member over at Lower Providence also. So I could help ya out either in the Bensalem area, or at the LP range.

I've been left handed 36 years of my life.. I'm right eye dom and I shoot right handed. If you have a scope on a rifle it might not matter as much. open sights, you might find yourself tilting the weapon in favor of the dom eye, or you tilt your head.

Shoot me a PM..

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Neilthepilot View Post
    Well if you cant find anyone closer I'm in Mechanicsburg (west side of Harrisburg). If we can get our schedules to match I have a Mossberg 702 plinkster that is 22LR. Just PM me if you don't mind the drive. Its 1:50 from the Philadelphia airport.
    Neilthepilot,

Thank you for your gracious offer, I have found help a bit closer. I certainly appreciate your generosity; as a new person to the shooting sports, I am more and more impressed with the helpful nature of the participants. Again, many thanks.

Tim

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Pkspawn View Post
    You're bout 30mins from me. I'm a member over at Lower Providence also. So I could help ya out either in the Bensalem area, or at the LP range.

I've been left handed 36 years of my life.. I'm right eye dom and I shoot right handed. If you have a scope on a rifle it might not matter as much. open sights, you might find yourself tilting the weapon in favor of the dom eye, or you tilt your head.

Shoot me a PM..
    Pkspawn,

Thank you very much, I plan on joining the LPRGC. I will be purchasing a Savage 22lr soon, perhaps we can meet up at LPRGC for the Saturday Rifle refresher. I will stay in touch, thanks again.

Tim

(Philadelphia County)

Sir,

If you ever decide you want to try out some pistols or really just come shoot a number of different guns at an indoor range in the city, feel free to drop me a PM.

Take care.

PS: If you are buying a savage then definitely look into this one. http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/MARKIIFVSR Perfect size for carrying around and you can even throw a silencer on it down the road. Silenced, bolt action .22lr is some of the most fun you will ever have if you have a nice summer day and an empty range to yourself.

Where are you buying your guns from? I would recommend a place like www.budsgunshop.com and having it sent to one of the many really good FFL in our area for a 25$ transfer fee. They run the background check and you take it home. There are a few decent gun shops here but not knowing where you have gone, definitely check the prices on buds before buying local.

If you decide on a scope for your rifle I would recommend the Mueller APV from Dennis over here. http://www.mizzoumuleguns.com/id12.html . Don't buy a cheap walmart scope. The APV is a very good value for the money. A bit heavy but if you are shooting off a bench it won't matter. You don't need to buy a spotting scope either as it is easy to see your holes when shooting at 50yds with it.

Like I said before, drop me a PM if you need help picking out a gun or find yourself in the city and itching to try shooting some new guns.
    Last edited by blendingnoise; March 9th, 2011 at 08:57 PM.