Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Mercer County)

Default positive traffic stop with Grove City PD

I was pulled over the other day because my tires stick out too far past the fenders of my truck, had a few guns inside. Handed my DL and LTCF to officer Jasowak and advised I had guns in the truck, he handed it right back to me, went to his car and came back with a warning. Guns didn't interest him a bit. Wish every LEO was this cool. Had an unloaded and cased P11 in the backseat, a loaded 1911 between the front seats, and a loaded SP-101 in the drivers door.

GCPD is possibly pro-gun? I haven't tried OC within the city. Every time I've had to deal with them they've been pretty cool guys, but I still try to avoid them.
    Last edited by carterbeauford; December 11th, 2007 at 11:26 AM.
    http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y38/hovisimo2/sunsetpatrolresizedcopy.gif

(Delaware County)

Default Re: positive traffic stop with Grove City PD

Quote Originally Posted by carterbeauford View Post
    I was pulled over the other day because my tires stick out too far past the fenders of my truck, had a few guns inside. Handed my DL and LTCF to officer Jasowak and advised I had guns in the truck, he handed it right back to me, went to his car and came back with a warning. Guns didn't interest him a bit. Wish every LEO was this cool. Had an unloaded and cased P11 in the backseat, a loaded 1911 between the front seats, and a loaded SP-101 in the drivers door.

GCPD is possibly pro-gun? I haven't tried OC within the city. Every time I've had to deal with them they've been pretty cool guys, but I still try to avoid them.
    Probably not the GCPD, but possibly the officer was.

(Philadelphia County)

If you don't tell them in the first place, you never have to hope they don't have a negative reaction.

(Philadelphia County)

There is absolutely no law that requires that you tell them. A lot of "chief law enforcement officers," however, take the position that not telling them is dangerous and make it the law (as in failure to tell them indicates you are a danger -- you know the rest).

In my view, just hand them the LTCF with your other documents, keep your hands in view (and the dome light on if it's at night), and they'll figure out what needs to be done from there. I think the warning is smart 'casue they get out of there without having to "secure the weapon for their own safety" or whatever. As in "Here's your warning, drive safe, adios I'm out of here."

On the bright side, the cop who stops you knows from the fact that you have a valid LTCF that you're not some dude with a record from here to there.

(Mercer County)

Quote Originally Posted by MarcS View Post
    If you don't tell them in the first place, you never have to hope they don't have a negative reaction.
    I do it as a courtesy. If I were a LEO I would appreciate the same courtesy. Saves the gray area of what happens next when he sees the cocked and locked 1911 between my seats.

Last time I was stopped I did not extend this courtesty, as it was in OH and my guns were unloaded and cased.

(Montgomery County)

I wonder if some cops might feel that you telling them that you are armed is a veiled threat? Sort of "You best think twice before giving me a ticket".

I worry too how to behave if stopped.

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by carterbeauford View Post
    I do it as a courtesy. If I were a LEO I would appreciate the same courtesy. Saves the gray area of what happens next when he sees the cocked and locked 1911 between my seats.

Last time I was stopped I did not extend this courtesty, as it was in OH and my guns were unloaded and cased.
    Even though you probably already know, in Ohio if your carrying you must inform the officer or it's an E felony. Of course you must have a recognized permit, which PA is not.

Just because you see it as a courtesy doesn't mean that they don't see you as more of a threat than a person that is uknowingly to them armed.

(Mercer County)

Quote Originally Posted by Siobhra View Post
    I wonder if some cops might feel that you telling them that you are armed is a veiled threat? Sort of "You best think twice before giving me a ticket".
    never wondered that myself, intimidation was not really what I was after and hope most LEOs wouldn't think it was.

Quote Originally Posted by DeltaII5 View Post
    Even though you probably already know, in Ohio if your carrying you must inform the officer or it's an E felony. Of course you must have a recognized permit, which PA is not.
    right on, I don't carry concealed in OH.

Quote Originally Posted by DeltaII5 View Post
    Just because you see it as a courtesy doesn't mean that they don't see you as more of a threat than a person that is uknowingly to them armed.
    I always always under the understanding that most LEOs took it as a courtesy, this one apparently did. if he felt I was a threat he would have asked to disarm me.

think about this, with all the LEOs running around PA with little or no understanding of firearms laws, revoking LTCFs and threatening arrest for open carry, would it be better to 1) inform the LEO you are legally armed or 2) find out the hard way he doesn't know car carry laws?

not meant to disrespect LEOs, all the ones I have dealt with both state and local have been top notch, but this is apparently not the case across the state from my reading here.
    Last edited by carterbeauford; December 11th, 2007 at 04:05 PM.

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by Siobhra View Post

I worry too how to behave if stopped.
    I've once spoken to Furgson county officer about this.
    He said that although there is no law requiring you to discolse that you are armed, he himself would appliciate the driver would disclosed that ahead of time, rather then he discover that your armed on his own. He take that as that your being upfront, and have nothing to hide. But would make him feel much safer that your letting him know and let him dictate the situation.
    And jokingly said that that "may" leads to worning, instead of ticket.

Sounded reasonable enough to me.

I'm sure, however, not every officer feels the same way tho..
    Audemus jura nostra defendere

(Mercer County)

Quote Originally Posted by Mity2 View Post
    And jokingly said that that "may" leads to worning, instead of ticket.
    I got a warning when I easily could have gotten a ticket.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast