Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Franklin County)

Default g23 jamming issue

ok just bought a new gen 3 rtf g23 a week ago. the first 100 rounds of wolf ammo ran perfect. then today i ran 100 rounds of 180 grn fmj remington umc bulk pak ammo through it and had 2 jams, one a ftf,and one a stovepipe. I realized that the gun was RIDICULOUSLY DIRTY so took it home and cleaned it figuring that was the culprit, perfectly cleaned and lubed i took the gun to my range again and shot 50 rounds of winchester white box 180 grn fmj and about 30 rounds in i had another fte/stovepipe.

I know for sure that I was not limp wristing. I had a gen 3 g23 a year ago and ran about 2000 rounds without a malfunction. to have 3 issues in a 150 round span out of a glock is unacceptable to me... anyone got any ideas on what is going on?

I am currently thinking the recoil spring is at fault... it is very very stiff. was thinking of trying a 13 or 15lb spring to see. any ideas are appriciated.

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: g23 jamming issue

Quote Originally Posted by neflr.308 View Post
    ok just bought a new gen 3 rtf g23 a week ago. the first 100 rounds of wolf ammo ran perfect. then today i ran 100 rounds of 180 grn fmj remington umc bulk pak ammo through it and had 2 jams, one a ftf,and one a stovepipe. I realized that the gun was RIDICULOUSLY DIRTY so took it home and cleaned it figuring that was the culprit, perfectly cleaned and lubed i took the gun to my range again and shot 50 rounds of winchester white box 180 grn fmj and about 30 rounds in i had another fte/stovepipe.

I know for sure that I was not limp wristing. I had a gen 3 g23 a year ago and ran about 2000 rounds without a malfunction. to have 3 issues in a 150 round span out of a glock is unacceptable to me... anyone got any ideas on what is going on?

I am currently thinking the recoil spring is at fault... it is very very stiff. was thinking of trying a 13 or 15lb spring to see. any ideas are appriciated.
    There's rumor out that the new Gen 4 Glocks need a break-in period.
    First thing to do is stay away from Wolf and Tula ammo !
    They will crud up your gun and cause problems and could even damage your extractor due to the harder steel casing. You only shot 100 rounds of it so I doub't it damaged anything. Try cleaning it again ? UMC's are usually good feeders without many FTF's.
    If it keeps persisting after 250 rounds have it checked !
    Your not the first person I heard complain about this problem !
    You Can Take My Gun When You Pry it From My Dead, Cold, Hand !

(Franklin County)

Yea I no about the gen 4 problem but that was with the 9mm....this is a gen 3 23 40 cal.

(York County)

Are you using Glock factory mags or aftermarket ones? If they're aftermarket mags that's probably part of the issue.

I'd double check it again and make sure the extractor is clean. And stop using wolf ammo too. That stuff has a reputation of making guns unnecessarily dirty.

(Franklin County)

yes they are the factory mags that came with gun.

Sorry but I am failing to see how shooting the wolf ammo is my problem, the ammo shot awsome, then the gun was cleaned and then i had the issues. and actually the remington umc ammo made the gun look alot dirtier than the wolf. lol i no it is not the best ammo but if it goes bang reliably for target ammo, Im shooting it.

(Franklin County)

the mags are also very very stiff would that play a role in the jamms? it is all butt impossible to put more than 11 rounds in them. i even let them sitt fullyloaded for 4 days and that did nothing

(York County)

leaving the mags loaded will not help it "break in" the springs so to speak.

the springs only wear when they are being compressed depressed IE: loading them and unloading them.

The wolf ammo is steel cased with a lacquer coating which makes everything get a lot dirtier and stickier. You won't/shouldn't have issues the first time you shoot it, but after you shoot it more and more is when it all builds up inside and causes the jams/ftf's etc...

Edit: what I was getting at is there is a good chance that you missed some spots that need cleaning that wouldn't need cleaned all the time with better ammo.

(Franklin County)

yeah i might have, ill give it a full disasembly and thorough cleaning tonight and test it out again this weekend. anything to do about the mags being tight or just let it go with time.

(York County)

They will loosen up in time.

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by 24/7dude View Post
    leaving the mags loaded will not help it "break in" the springs so to speak.

the springs only wear when they are being compressed depressed IE: loading them and unloading them.

The wolf ammo is steel cased with a lacquer coating which makes everything get a lot dirtier and stickier. You won't/shouldn't have issues the first time you shoot it, but after you shoot it more and more is when it all builds up inside and causes the jams/ftf's etc...

Edit: what I was getting at is there is a good chance that you missed some spots that need cleaning that wouldn't need cleaned all the time with better ammo.
    Wolf ammo is no longer lacquer coated. It is polymer coated. Stuck cases are not caused by the coating on the cases, but by the fact that when firing, the steel case does not expand inside the chamber as well as a brass case does, and this allows carbon to build up on the walls of the chamber.

Brass cases would have more of a tendency to stick in the chamber if fired after steel cases, because they would be expanding into the carbon fouling left behind by the steel cased ammo.
    Last edited by marinville; March 3rd, 2011 at 05:32 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast