Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Glock recoil spring

I just broke the aftermarket recoil spring on my Glock 33, after about 500 rounds of my usage (bought it used so don't know the round count before).
    See the picture as the spring didn't break but the larger spring stop broke off.
    Since somewhere along it's previous owner, it was replaced I don't know who made this one or the spring rate.
    To "test" this spring rate, do I check just the larger spring, or is it a combo of the 2 springs?
    My guess is that this is a different spring due to when I got this, it also came with a 9mm and 40 s&w LoneWolf barrels.
    I have the factory spring assembly, but as of this writing I haven't been to the range to see the difference between them.
    Attached Images Attached Images

(Delaware County)

Default Re: Glock recoil spring

Get a factory spring assembly for your model of Glock. It will cost less than $10.

Please inspect your gun for other inferior parts the previous owner may have installed in the gun as you should order factory replacements for those as well.

(Allegheny County)

I'll second Victory's advice.

A quick check on your Glock recoil spring (one that isn't broken).

Clear the gun as you would when prepping to dry fire.

Press the trigger and hold to the rear.
    Turn muzzle vertical and reset the system by pulling slide back about an inch (trigger still depressed to rear).
    While muzzle is vertical and trigger is depressed, ease slide forward very slowly.
    The slide may or may not stop just short of going into battery. If it goes into battery, the recoil spring is good.

If it stops short, slowly lower muzzle to horizontal. The slide will go into battery before reaching the horizontal if the recoil spring is good. If not, replace it.

I replace the springs after about 3 to 4K rounds anyway.

(Montgomery County)

I know this is an aftermarket part that you posted, but IIRC, there was some kind of Glock "not a recall, but we'll replace it b/c it's the right thing to do and we got a bad batch of components" back in early 2000's for the dual recoil spring assembly on subcompacts.

I had the factory part break in my G27 within the first couple hundred rounds I put through it (looked just like yours, where the collar broke off), and I bought that gun new around 2002...

But I do believe Glock corrected it, and I would also recommend getting a factory recoil spring assembly and calling it good.

The test that 27hand posted is also good to do.

Regards,

Bones
    Last edited by JoeyBones; March 3rd, 2011 at 09:45 AM. Reason: clarify

(Philadelphia County)

Why would you drop a used spring in a gun ?
    Always if possible try to buy parts like that new. Like you said you don't know how many rounds were really on that spring in particular. God forbid if you were in a scrape and had to use it and your spring went "Boing" in the middle of a life saving action ?
    Just get a new one , play it safe and take no chances !
    You Can Take My Gun When You Pry it From My Dead, Cold, Hand !

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by PhillyGunslinger View Post
    Why would you drop a used spring in a gun ?
    Always if possible try to buy parts like that new. Like you said you don't know how many rounds were really on that spring in particular. God forbid if you were in a scrape and had to use it and your spring went "Boing" in the middle of a life saving action ?
    Just get a new one , play it safe and take no chances !
    He bought the gun used. It had this spring in it when he got it. He shot the gun. This spring broke.

He bought the gun used; He didn't buy the spring itself used (separately) and drop it into his G33 (OP, correct me if I am reading that wrong)...

Regards,

Bones

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by JoeyBones View Post
    He bought the gun used. It had this spring in it when he got it. He shot the gun. This spring broke.

He bought the gun used; He didn't buy the spring itself used (separately) and drop it into his G33 (OP, correct me if I am reading that wrong)...

Regards,

Bones
    LOLOL, My Bad I have a sinus infection and can't think too straight !
    You Can Take My Gun When You Pry it From My Dead, Cold, Hand !

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by JoeyBones View Post

Regards,

Bones
    Bones, you are correct. I bought the gun used and really didn't know what spring was in there. After it broke, I went looking thru the goodie box of parts that came with it and found what looked like the original looking spring assembly.
    From what I've found on the web, the one that broke looked like aftermarket and the one "in the box" that I just put in was the original. The gun is going to the 'smith to be checked out for other non-factory parts along with a new spring assembly.
    What I was looking to find out was if the broken spring had a different rate than the original, since I do have a 9mm and 40s&w barrels that will interchange.
    Factory parts are the way to go, as my CZ52 and Star BM have more rounds by me thru them than this Glock and still going strong.

(Lancaster County)

Who in the world would put aftermarket parts in a glock? Besides like a barrel or something to change cals?

It just doesn't make sense?????
    http://forum.pafoa.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3339&dateline=1300221  289

Lone Wolf sells OEM springs IIRC as well as their own.
    FUCK BIDEN

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast