Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Bradford County)

Default New to CC with questions

I recently got my LTCF and after reading several discussions online have some questions I hope someone can give me some pointers.

1.) Does a Township have the right to establish an ordinance to prevent someone to not carry in Township buildings? I thought I read some where that was not allowed.

2.) While carrying, either being stopped by police or approached by police do you have to inform the officer that you are carrying? If so, when is the right time to do so and what would be the right thing to say?

3.) Concealed, does that mean no part of the firearm / holster can be visible at any time? If so, how does the open carry protect you?

I have signed up for a couple of courses but they have not been scheduled yet so I figured I would start here and try to be a little more educated on my rights and responsibilities.

Thanks for your help, and any tips would greatly be appreciated.

Kevin

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: New to CC with questions

Quote Originally Posted by yaggieke View Post
    I recently got my LTCF and after reading several discussions online have some questions I hope someone can give me some pointers.

1.) Does a Township have the right to establish an ordinance to prevent someone to not carry in Township buildings? I thought I read some where that was not allowed.

2.) While carrying, either being stopped by police or approached by police do you have to inform the officer that you are carrying? If so, when is the right time to do so and what would be the right thing to say?

3.) Concealed, does that mean no part of the firearm / holster can be visible at any time? If so, how does the open carry protect you?

I have signed up for a couple of courses but they have not been scheduled yet so I figured I would start here and try to be a little more educated on my rights and responsibilities.

Thanks for your help, and any tips would greatly be appreciated.

Kevin
    I'll answer question #3 and save the other two for other members to tackle.

PA is an open carry state meaning that if you can legally own a pistol, you can legally open carry that gun. With the LTCF, you may now conceal that gun as well but are not required to do so. With that licence it'll make no difference if a part of the gun or holster becomes exposed by accident for all to see. I could prob walk around with a gun duct taped to the top of my head and be well within my rights to do so. I could also conceal that gun in my boxer briefs only to have the barrel sticking out my open zipper and still be ok. My examples may be a little "out there" but they do hold water.
    Last edited by JasonK007; March 1st, 2011 at 11:36 PM.
    I would rather die in a shootout than get assassinated in a "gun free zone"

(Lancaster County)

No, they cannot, but that doesn't stop them. Any township that does, is in violation of the UFA. If you see a violation, you can have it challenged and many times get it struck down. YMMV, advice void in Philthydelphia.

If the township building has courtrooms in it, then they must abide by the state law of providing storage for firearms.

PA is not a Must inform state. You have the right to remain silent, do not talk to the police.
    Last edited by streaker69; March 1st, 2011 at 11:44 PM.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Cumberland County)

1: I don't know

2: By law, you do not need to say anything, unless asked. In some cases, it may be a good idea to inform, and some officers, probably most will be appreciative that you informed them. It's up to you whether you inform. But if they ask, you must inform them anyway.

3: PA is open carry. No harm in accidentally exposing.

My position is that I don't want an LEO to find it on his/her own. If placed in a position in which that is likely to happen (e.g., being asked to step out of the vehicle), I'll inform. Otherwise it's not a factor and doesn't need to come up. Unfortunately that doesn't work in Ohio.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by EvoRich View Post

2: By law, you do not need to say anything, unless asked. In some cases, it may be a good idea to inform, and some officers, probably most will be appreciative that you informed them. It's up to you whether you inform. But if they ask, you must inform them
    False. You dont have to inform, even if asked. Just don't lie. Either use the 5th Amendment or say "there is nothing illegal on me"

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by BimmerJon View Post
    False. You dont have to inform, even if asked. Just don't lie. Either use the 5th Amendment or say "there is nothing illegal on me"
    My bad I was maybe misinforming "don't lie" part. The opposite would be telling the truth. Or, don't say anything.

(Pike County)

Quote Originally Posted by BimmerJon View Post
    Either use the 5th Amendment or say "there is nothing illegal on me"
    I know our finest are hardly rocket scientists, but they are not that stupid. You think that this kind of direct response wouldn't raise the flag?
    Je suis déplorable

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Metz View Post
    I know our finest are hardly rocket scientists, but they are not that stupid. You think that this kind of direct response wouldn't raise the flag?
    That is my reply. Raise a flag I don't care. I am legally allowed to within my rights have a firearm. LTCF, thus there is nothing illegal in my car. If they want to pursue it, let them at their demise. I don't go out looking for trouble but one of these days I am sure I will cross paths with an uneducated LEO and have to make a stand. Until then, I am happy with all my LEO encounters to date. All were positive.

(Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by Metz View Post
    I'd rather raise a red flag by my response then raise a white flag of surrender by answering their unlawful questions.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast