Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Airsofter reporting for duty

Yeah the title is corny and paints me as some kid that is a codsofter. But I have noticed that some people on here look at airsoft as a serious training aid.

I have been involved in airsoft seriously since 2006. I ran my first airsoft practical shooting competition in 2007. I have worked at two different shops, managing both of them and helping start one of them. I currently work for an airsoft shop and own an indoor airsoft arena in Pittsburgh.

I have seen the ups and downs of the sport from kids being retards to professionals training. As in professionals I mean current law enforcement, military and security agencies.

If anyone has any questions regarding airsoft in any way I would be glad to share my knowledge with anyone who wishes to know more.

Edit: I have also been shooting firearms since I was in my teens. I still continue to own and shoot firearms to this day.
    Last edited by Pounder; March 1st, 2011 at 06:25 PM.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Airsofter reporting for duty

what the most reliable G17 clone with most similar trigger characteristics ?

Ive long been a fan of AS for use in Force on Force for those without access to Sims , for scenerio roleplaying, and even for some (limited) gun handling and marksmanship practice at home.

you donr happen to be from Amped ?
    The guy up there was extremely helpful to me a year or so ago when I had issues with my TM 1911 mags, I bought gas and bb's from there.

I would say the Tokyo Marui is probably the most reliable and closest in the trigger pull. Airsoft Glocks are hard to get right now due to customs seizing them. But they can be found. Also the Tokyo Marui pistols run best on duster gas (keyboard duster).

I do work at Amped.

Amped has a TM G17 in stock now as well.

(Allegheny County)

Thumbs up Re: Airsofter reporting for duty

Amped Airsoft been veddy, veddy, good to me. They had the tools to break down a delta ring off my AR once! They also order the REAL Magpul gear for you if needed, which is better than some of the GUN shops around the South Hills!

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Pounder View Post
    I do work at Amped.

price ?

and would you hold it for me ( if the price is right) ?

(Cambria County)

Does the TM G17 have a metal slide?

If not, what is the good, bad and ugly regarding plastic gbb guns?

Would your shop be able to service a KSC G17? Mine has been out of service for a while now.

I've been using a 'Lux Air' G17 clone. I never heard if it, and can't find much in the way of reviews. It seems to run far better overall than the KSC. Any insights on that? The place I got it from no longer has them... Any thoughts on an alternate placr to find one?

thoughts on running propane tanks instead of green gas? The cost savings seems great, but is there a down side?

I'll probably have more questions, but if you can help out with some of these, we'll be off to a great start. Thanks much!

Does the TM G17 have a metal slide?
    No

If not, what is the good, bad and ugly regarding plastic gbb guns?
    TM has been running a high grade ABS plastic for a long time and it is very durable. Because of the lighter weight they use less gas and cycle faster then a metal slide would. There is also a ton of aftermarket for the glock replicas. If you run green gas/propane on them they will eventually break as they are designed for duster gas or 134a. You can reinforce them so this does not happen though.

Would your shop be able to service a KSC G17? Mine has been out of service for a while now.
    Depending on what is wrong and the availability of parts we should be able to figure it out. We do have some glock parts in stock as well.

I've been using a 'Lux Air' G17 clone. I never heard if it, and can't find much in the way of reviews. It seems to run far better overall than the KSC. Any insights on that? The place I got it from no longer has them... Any thoughts on an alternate placr to find one?
    I believe luxair was a derivative of HFC. I have not seen them around for years. I checked a number of overseas sites and found nothing in the way of glocks. HFC's should be compatible. http://www.packrat-toyz.com/Airsoft%...t_handguns.htm . Here is a link in they have the electric and gas as well.

thoughts on running propane tanks instead of green gas? The cost savings seems great, but is there a down side?
    Propane and green gas is one in the same. Green gas has silicone added it to from the factory and it typically smells good. Propane stinks and you have to add silicone yourself. I have experience with the airsoft innovations adapters and they are rock solid. They also come with a bottle of silicone and a duster adapter.

I'll probably have more questions, but if you can help out with some of these, we'll be off to a great start. Thanks much!

Anything I can do to help just let me know.

(Cambria County)

Thanks much for the responses!

So, when using ABS slide guns with the proper gas, how does the reliability compare with metal guns? How about accuracy, range and FPS?

I'm thinking about trying out an ABS gun because they seem to be the only ones available in the g17 department.

When using a homemade silicone/propane mix, is it better to err on the side of too much, or too little silicone? Can too much silicon cause problems with the gun?

Do you have any recommendations for masks to use for force on force Airsoft training? I had one with a wire mesh goggle. It was great because it could not fog up, and it let air circulate during hot weather. Unfortunately, the body of the mask was clearly not designed for airsoft as the bb's were punching holes, and creatind a very unplesant spalling effect. Do you know of any good mesh-goggle masks? If not, what are some of the best masks?

Last, but not least... G17s are now rare. Any speculation on the future of their availability? Is Glock going to eventually squash all airsoft GXX clones, or will something else happen? Couldn't Glock license some company to make them for training? Does your shop expect to get more in any time soon?

So, when using ABS slide guns with the proper gas, how does the reliability compare with metal guns? How about accuracy, range and FPS?
    Same if not better on reliability. With most GBB pistols and the right BB weight you should be hitting 30+yds once hopped in. Also FPS means nothing when discussing range or accuracy.

I'm thinking about trying out an ABS gun because they seem to be the only ones available in the g17 department.
    Don't let the ABS thing bother you. Most metal replicas are pot metal anyway.

When using a homemade silicone/propane mix, is it better to err on the side of too much, or too little silicone? Can too much silicon cause problems with the gun?
    With the Airsoft Innovations adapter it recommends 2 drops every 8-10 fills. At the shop we rarely remember to lube our test bottle and I run my GBB on it all the time with no problem. If there is too much silicone you could start shooting spitballs and accuracy will go to crap.

Do you have any recommendations for masks to use for force on force Airsoft training? I had one with a wire mesh goggle. It was great because it could not fog up, and it let air circulate during hot weather. Unfortunately, the body of the mask was clearly not designed for airsoft as the bb's were punching holes, and creatind a very unplesant spalling effect. Do you know of any good mesh-goggle masks? If not, what are some of the best masks?
    At the indoor arena I am an owner at we do not allow mesh. Some BB's will fragment and shards will get through. I personally run a JT Spectra. It does not limit my peripheral vision at all and it has a two layer thermal lens that is excellent at reducing and eliminating fogging issues. If you want a goggle system only then I would recommend Revision eye wear. They are huge with military guys and they can stop a 12 gauge shooting birdshot. You can also buy separate lowers made of plastic or mesh to protect the rest of your face when running a goggle.

Last, but not least... G17s are now rare. Any speculation on the future of their availability? Is Glock going to eventually squash all airsoft GXX clones, or will something else happen? Couldn't Glock license some company to make them for training? Does your shop expect to get more in any time soon?
    I do not see a stopage in production on these due to their popularity. Glock can sue and bitch and moan but they can't touch manufacturers in Japan and China. It would be nice if Glock would license them and they would make a boat load of cash but they seem unwilling to do so. it is sad because this hurts leo's and firearm owners that wish to train with them. Yes we are aactively trying to get them in. We have one left which is on reserve. But we are placing a major order to get a good quantity in stock.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Pounder View Post
    I would say the Tokyo Marui is probably the most reliable and closest in the trigger pull. Airsoft Glocks are hard to get right now due to customs seizing them. But they can be found. Also the Tokyo Marui pistols run best on duster gas (keyboard duster).

I do work at Amped.

have to agree, i love my TM G18

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast