Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Holsters ??

(Philadelphia County)

Default Holsters ??

Anyone like Fobus Holsters ? Im thinking of getting the Tactical Rotary holster for my Ruger 345 when it comes in. The Fobus Holsters seem less bulky than Blackhawks so I figure I give it a shot. Plus I wanted to put a light/strobe on this pistol and the Tactical holster was built for that.

Any feedback is appreciated ?
    You Can Take My Gun When You Pry it From My Dead, Cold, Hand !

(Westmoreland County)

Default Re: Holsters ??

Love my Fobus.

Got a Blackhawk for another gun and like it even better.

Blackhawk must have looked at the Fobus and said how can we improve on this?

My Blackhawk for my Glock 40 has a locking button (you just brush the button with your finger as you draw - if you do not, the gun will NOT come out of the holster) and the ability to swivel (there are screws to set the swivel angle - it does not pivot when wearing it). It also has a larger paddle than my Fobus. It is a C1352.

Here is a link to the Blackhawk holsters:
    http://www.blackhawk.com/catalog/SER...lment,1410.htm

I don't think I paid as much as they are listed for...

Either Fobus or Blackhawk is a good choice IMHO but I like the Blackhawk better.
    Last edited by Tokamak; March 1st, 2011 at 01:06 PM.
    "A free people ought to be armed." - George Washington

(Allegheny County)

You get what you pay for with a cheap holster.

(Delaware County)

They are shit. Not suitable defensive carry.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by eddyb74 View Post
    You get what you pay for with a cheap holster.
    Quote Originally Posted by victory View Post
    They are shit. Not suitable defensive carry.
    +1, stay away from fobus garbage. FOBUS = FAIL
    Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    let them eventually bring the FBI to kill my wife and son over fucking chickens....

(Bucks County)

I recently picked up a Blackhawk CQC serpa 2 for my G20.

I cannot stress enough how awesome it is, I'm not much of a paddle person, but I gave the blackhawk paddle a try instead of using the supplied belt attachment, and it is great! The overall design is excellent. The retention is fantastic, the release is perfect, and the draw speed with the CQC is insane, not to mention re-holstering is incredible. The audible click is a nice touch, letting you know your sidearm is secure. I will own a CQC for every pistol I get, lol.

I found them for 40 bucks shipped on a google search, I am about to buy another one for my P220, carbon fiber exposed though, I like my Sig to be classy.

When it comes to OWB, don't dick around, spend the money on a proper product. If you plan on OC'ing then you want a real deal retention holster. Blackhawk Serpa 2 is just the right balance of speed and security, well IMHO anyways.
    Mostly browsing these days, and expanding the collection.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Duece McCracken View Post
    I recently picked up a Blackhawk CQC serpa 2 for my G20.

I cannot stress enough how awesome it is, I'm not much of a paddle person, but I gave the blackhawk paddle a try instead of using the supplied belt attachment, and it is great! The overall design is excellent. The retention is fantastic, the release is perfect, and the draw speed with the CQC is insane, not to mention re-holstering is incredible. The audible click is a nice touch, letting you know your sidearm is secure. I will own a CQC for every pistol I get, lol.

I found them for 40 bucks shipped on a google search, I am about to buy another one for my P220, carbon fiber exposed though, I like my Sig to be classy.

When it comes to OWB, don't dick around, spend the money on a proper product. If you plan on OC'ing then you want a real deal retention holster. Blackhawk Serpa 2 is just the right balance of speed and security, well IMHO anyways.
    Yep and you don't waste money getting a leather holster that will rot on you and absorbe oil/water/etc. Overall the Fobus and Blackhawk outperform the expensive leather holsters. Remember - the Fobus was designed by the Israeli Mossad - guys who know what they are doing - and the Blackhawk seems to be an improvment over their original design.

This leather vs plastic holster discussion reminds me of glock vs the metal guns discussion. Plastic = light/cheap/almost indestructable - we used it for jet windshields when I was in the navy and bullet proof glass is really plastic. When you talk about gun/holster plastic you are not talking about the stuff they make GI Joes out of. Don't let anyone fool you into thinking that plastic = inferior.

But having said that, I own a few all metal and one blued gun and think a leather holster just looks and smells better. I also enjoy the hell out of shooting my son-in-laws S&W model 10 a blued revolver that is dead on.
    Last edited by Tokamak; March 1st, 2011 at 06:10 PM.
    "A free people ought to be armed." - George Washington

(Montgomery County)

To start, fake carbon fiber is about as classy as fake wood on the side of a car, which means that it is not. Take a close look at the "carbon fiber" and you will see it is just cheap embossing attempting to look like carbon fiber.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokamak View Post
    Yep and you don't waste money getting some crappy leather that will rot on you and absorbe oil/water/etc. Overall the Fobus and Blackhawk outperform the expensive holsters. Remember - the Fobus was designed by the Israeli Mossad - guys who know what they are doing.
    I could not find anywhere that stated with authority or references that the Fobus holster was designed by Mossad. This sounds like marketing/urban legend mumbo-jumbo. Even if the holster were designed by Mossad, who cares? Some agency that people think is cool does not make the equipment they design or use somehow better then everything else. I do not care much for any government armed spy agencies, nor do I care what they design.

The best holsters I have seen come from a big guy with a beard that lives in Arizona, formerly from Alaska. Rob Leahy and his "simply rugged" holsters are by far the best holsters I have seen for both revolvers and autos. They look like this:

They are not expensive, not by any stretch of the imagination at around 60 USD. Here is another photo of my 8 shot .357 in the holster...

I have owned fobus and blackhawk holsters, and they are not in the same league as a hand made masterpiece of simple ruggedness as pictured above. Particularly the Fobus design is a cheap piece of shit. The paddle (really any paddle for that matter) is a terrible system that makes any attempt at retention a joke. Get a proper holster and a proper belt and be happy. There is no need to settle for mass produced not really cheap plastic bullshit. I will go with my made in America by a craftsman holsters, every time.
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Tokamak View Post
    Overall the Fobus and Blackhawk outperform the expensive leather holsters.
    My experience has been the exact opposite.

(but different strokes for different folks...)

Also, as Steve stated, price is not necessarily indicative of quality - Regardless of the material used.

Regards,

Bones

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_NEPhila View Post
    To start, fake carbon fiber is about as classy as fake wood on the side of a car, which means that it is not. Take a close look at the "carbon fiber" and you will see it is just cheap embossing attempting to look like carbon fiber.
    Lol, geez Steve, I didn't know you felt so strongly against decorative embossing. They do claim that the holster is made with CF, so I don't mind fake CF on the outside, its not total false advertising. I'm normally not a big fan of it, but I own the Black Matte finish, and I (for no good reason at all) want to get the carbon fiber look on my next purchase just to feel it out. I am going to try and find the carbon fiber look locally first just to find out how cheesy it really is. I also find wood side jeeps kinda cool. Lmao.

To each their own. I am a strong believer in function over form. I just wanted a little more form after a proven function.

Leather is sexy on wheelguns. Very sexy...
    Mostly browsing these days, and expanding the collection.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast