Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default What county to get LTCF?

I'm planning on getting my LTCF and am wondering if I should apply in Allegheny or Washington County. From what I've read Wash county is quicker with the whole deal and it's not that far of a drive for me plus I wouldn't have to find parking downtown.

Thoughts?

(York County)

Default Re: What county to get LTCF?

You have no choice. You must apply in the county in which you reside.
    While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

(Delaware County)

Carrying Firearms in Pennsylvania

Who can apply for a Pennsylvania License to Carry?

An individual who is 21 years of age or older may apply for a license to carry firearms by submitting a completed Application for a Pennsylvania License to Carry Firearms to the sheriff of the county in which they reside or if a resident of a city of the first class, with the chief of police of that city along with the required fee.

Individuals who are 21 years of age or older and are NOT Pennsylvania residents may apply for a license by submitting a completed Application for a Pennsylvania License to Carry Firearms to any Pennsylvania County Sheriff’s office along with the required fee. A Pennsylvania license cannot be issued to a resident of another state who does not possess a current license or permit or similar document to carry a firearm issued by their home state if a license is provided for by the laws of that state, as published annually in the Federal Register by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms of the Department of the Treasury.

The sheriff has 45 days to conduct an investigation to determine an individual's eligibility to be issued a license. Included in the investigation is a background check conducted on the individual through the Pennsylvania Instant Check System (PICS) to determine if the records indicate the individual is prohibited by law. In accordance with 18 PA C.S. §6109, a sheriff may deny an individual the right to a License to Carry Firearms if there is reason to believe that the character and reputation of the individual are such that they would be likely to act in a manner dangerous to public safety.

If the PICS check is approved and the subject is of good character, the sheriff may issue a License to Carry Firearms. The issuance of a License to Carry Firearms allows individuals to carry a firearm concealed on or about their person, or in a vehicle throughout this Commonwealth. The license is valid for a period of five (5) years unless sooner revoked.

NOTE: A license to carry firearms is NOT a license to purchase. Individuals who purchase a firearm from a licensed dealer are required to have a background check conducted regardless of whether they have a license to carry firearms or not.
    http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal...&css=L2&mode=2

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    You have no choice. You must apply in the county in which you reside.
    Wouldn't it be nice though!
    Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by pacpiper View Post
    Wouldn't it be nice though!
    Yes it would be nice, I'd go to Chester County, where your info puts you, they send out renewal notices and are willing to print for out of state licenses too, unlike Delaware County.

(Allegheny County)

Blah. Total weaksauce. Thanks for the quick replies. I guess I'll just look forward to getting my LTCF sometime in June when they finally decide to process it.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by KJP442 View Post
    I guess I'll just look forward to getting my LTCF sometime in June when they finally decide to process it.
    For what it's worth, they have 45 days (calendar, not business) from the date of application to either approve or deny you.

Most experience around here with Allegheny County is that you'll only way 7-14 days though before getting your "approved" notice in the mail.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by KJP442 View Post
    I'm planning on getting my LTCF and am wondering if I should apply in Allegheny or Washington County. From what I've read Wash county is quicker with the whole deal and it's not that far of a drive for me plus I wouldn't have to find parking downtown.

Thoughts?
    i just dealt with them, sent it in and less than a week later got back my approval, actually just went to pick up my license friday from the Allegheny Sherriffs office

i parked in the garage at the corner of 3rd and Cherry Way, they charged $5 for an hour and from there i was able to walk to the courthouse, get your license and walk back in about 35-40 mins... (would have been less if there werent a line once i got into the office)

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by soberbyker View Post
    Yes it would be nice, I'd go to Chester County, where your info puts you, they send out renewal notices and are willing to print for out of state licenses too, unlike Delaware County.

Sorry for the confusion as I do have mine...

Yeah, I was sort of gloating when I wrote that because it was the easiest, most uneventful process I've been through that had the potential to get ugly
    Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

(Allegheny County)

Had mine from Allegheny in 10 days from start to finish

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast