Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: .223 For Deer?

(Warren County)

Default .223 For Deer?

Before you claim get the right caliber for the job, or this has been asked many times, this is very specific.

Not asking if this caliber is ok for a new hunter or hunter who is not experienced. I am asking in the hands of an experienced hunter who has taken many deer, many with a bow, and able to let a buck walk because he did not present a good shot in range.

I sometimes think it would be a good challenge, I know my Remington 7600 in .270 is a deer slayer, my favorite deer gun. I have also realized that when processing the deer later, shot placement is critical if you want to use all the meet. No shoulder shots for me, way too much meat thrown away.

I am thinking about getting this Savage 10 FLCP-K and thinking about taking it out to sniper a doe. Would not be an opening day rifle, I want my deer to drop in its tracks if its a nice buck and hunters all over. But after that when woods is pretty empty.

I feel its much deadlier than a bow, and with proper shot placement, and tracking ability could be fun to hunt with that rifle.

I know many hate this idea, but yet will shoot a deer with a 60 lb compound bow. I could argue the fact that you should be shooting with at least 125 gr fixed broadhead at 70 lbs.

Maybe I am crazy for even considering it, and may never do it just wondering if others have done this.

I know many like big calibers, and I can not imagine using anything larger than a .270, I feel many use too much rifle for the job.
    Kimber Custom Covert II, Kimber Pro CDP II, Glock 21

(Monroe County)

Default Re: .223 For Deer?

Yes, if placed correctly a .223 will kill a deer, is it a good move? no, its not. A good shot will be crucial and the chance of it running is pretty good unless you actually hit the heart directly.

your argument related to 60 pound/70 pound and 125 grain broadheads isn't remotely relevant

now do a search because this exact same thing has been posted dozens of times
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

(Warren County)

Quote Originally Posted by Dredly View Post
    Yes, if placed correctly a .223 will kill a deer, is it a good move? no, its not. A good shot will be crucial and the chance of it running is pretty good unless you actually hit the heart directly.

your argument related to 60 pound/70 pound and 125 grain broadheads isn't remotely relevant

now do a search because this exact same thing has been posted dozens of times

Couldn't the same be said about archery hunting all together. Are you saying a compound bow is a better choice than a rifle.

My specific questions was in the right hands.

I have yet to hear how an arrow is a better weapon than a .223.
    I also disagree about poundage you shoot, I believe an fixed broadhead shot from a 70 lb new bow has much more energy/power than a expandable shot from an older 50 lb bow.

I guess I could have asked which weapon is more deadly, a .223 rifle, or a compound bow.

(Luzerne County)

An arrow cut a much wider hole through a deer, resulting in a large loss of blood. That is what kills a deer, not the impact of the arrow. Why would you need a 70lb bow?? It's not going to kill the deer any better. Power doesn't kill the deer, blood loss does.

When I was in the USMC, a few guys hunted with AR's in NC, however their deer were the size of large dog.

Using a very heavy bullet (for the .223) you might have enough oomph to take a PA deer. You can punch a neat little hole in the deer and it wll run into the next county before it drops, unless you hit it in the head or spine, two very, very, very hard to hit areas.

I have a Savage 12FV in .223 but I would never think of taking it out for deer season.

(Cumberland County)

What about 75gr TAP? I don't hunt, not sure if that round would even be legal, but this round seems to be very effective against 2 legged monsters. But we can't forget, deer are wild animals and much tougher than us, despite their weight being similar to a grown man.

(Bucks County)

If I recall correctly, there was a statement in the Hunting Digest that specifically regulated (edit: big game)hunting ammo to .25 caliber and larger. If I'm right, .223 would be illegal.

(Warren County)

Quote Originally Posted by EvoRich View Post
    What about 75gr TAP? I don't hunt, not sure if that round would even be legal, but this round seems to be very effective against 2 legged monsters. But we can't forget, deer are wild animals and much tougher than us, despite their weight being similar to a grown man.
    That is a good point, and one I had not thought about.
    I see peoples points here, and not going to try and convince them.

I have not read the digest, but that could very well wrap it up right there.

I guess what I am doing is trying to find the smallest caliber that is capable of ethically killing a deer.

I see nothing wrong with having to choose your shot carefully. I believe if people had to process their own deer, they would pass on many shots that they take.

I am not trying to switch people either, if I were I would try and talk anyone that uses a larger than .270 to use a smaller caliber, as it wastes way too much meat.

(Bucks County)

I have used 5.56mm to shoot dozens of deer. Most were killed with the 52gr hp from Black Hills. It works like a charm, provided you shoot them through the head.
    Body shots work well also but you need to be very particular in placing the shot.
    For that matter, I have shot tons of deer with a .22 rf. It works great also- but only when you can place the round very exactly.
    Crusader's local #556 South Central Asia chapter

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by cdi View Post
    I have used 5.56mm to shoot dozens of deer. Most were killed with the 52gr hp from Black Hills. It works like a charm, provided you shoot them through the head.
    Body shots work well also but you need to be very particular in placing the shot.
    For that matter, I have shot tons of deer with a .22 rf. It works great also- but only when you can place the round very exactly.
    Uhmmm... you do know that rimfire is illegal to harvest deer with in Pennsylvania, right? No one should put any value on the above statement, it is irresponsible, illegal and ignorant.

Draw weight on a bow has little to no value, there are bows that are more efficient at storing and releasing energy at lower draw weights that produce a higher arrow speed. As for arrows, I would say they are more lethal than bullets especially the new mechanical broadheads. Having a 1.5 inch width cutting edge on an arrow will lacerate tons of internal goodies and lead to a quick and humane death for the deer.

Using a .223 for deer is foolish, especially if you know better. As far as I know .223 would be legal in PA to hunt deer and it would also be a poor choice.

As previously stated by an educated poster, blood loss or exsanguination is what kills most deer after being shot. There are only two ways to die from a gunshot wound for any living thing, bleeding to death or direct physical damage to the central nervous system. There is no magical force or "power" that kills or incapacitates.

Deer are wonderful and delicious animals, respect them. We have something they do not, higher order cognitive functions. Think through your actions and show some respect for your quarry by making decisions to harvest them in the most humane and efficient manner.
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by EvoRich View Post
    If I'm remembering correctly, the bullet in TAP was designed as a varmint round. Its good at what it does, but I wouldn't count on it to punch through lots of bone and still have much velocity. There are plenty of big game 223 rounds out there, just use one of those.

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast