Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: .223 For Deer?

Default Re: .223 For Deer?

Quote Originally Posted by Arch007er View Post
    I've only found one .223 bullet to work, its a wildcat of sorts. A local gunsmith and I have tuned it to produce not only great knock down power but also a sonic boom.

The 30mm case necked down to .224 has a water case capacity of 892 grains, a 65 degree shoulder and a C.O.A.L of 5.45" (.010 off the lands). Using Federal 3500 primers and a stout load of 855.5 grains of H1000 and a 52 grain Hornady A-Max traveling at 9500 fps, you would not need to worry about shot placement with this sweet little round.

Come on Archer, seriously???? You can't claim credit for that on the forum that it was originally posted on, lol. You especially can't pretend to have the specs. You might have seen it posted on some other forum, but it was originally posted here, and by me. http://forum.pafoa.org/general-2/180...per-round.html I even have proof of the "rifle" that shoots it, and photos of me with it, LOL. My apologies to the OP, I wasn't trying to derail the thread, but I had to defend myself on this one. It's definitely not a 30mm parent cartridge, it's .50 BMG; it is a .224 caliber bullet though. I just gotta give you heck man :-).
    Last edited by Tomcat088; March 1st, 2011 at 03:34 AM.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by dk99358 View Post
    Based on the brass bucket at my clubs sight in days, 30-06 is far and away the number one. 243 is 2nd, 3rd is usually 270 but sometimes 30-30.

I've also seen brass for 222, 223, 6mm Rem, 260, 7mm-08, 7mm Rem Mag, 300 Savage, 308, 30-40 Krag, 8mm Mauser, 35 Rem, 358 Win, and 45-70

Pick your poison, it'll nearly all work.

Dale
    No 25-06 in your clubs bucket? Someone is missing out!

(Warren County)

Quote Originally Posted by keystoneman 85 View Post
    After seeing the ballistics on that caliber, I agree its seems to be a fantastic choice.

The only downside I read is possible barrel burn up, but did not read where it has actually happened.
    Kimber Custom Covert II, Kimber Pro CDP II, Glock 21

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by dkyser View Post
    After seeing the ballistics on that caliber, I agree its seems to be a fantastic choice.

The only downside I read is possible barrel burn up, but did not read where it has actually happened.
    Yes!!! Talk about overbore!!! That fantastical cartridge would be a flame thrower and barrel eater.
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by offshorebear View Post
    Definetly Elmer. But also look at the drop on a 3030, I know people who have emptied their guns, reloaded the tube, and emptied again because they don't know how to shoot over 100 yards. I'd rather see them using a flat shooting 223 than a 3030.
    or tell them to use LeveReveloution ammo...
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_NEPhila View Post
    Yes!!! Talk about overbore!!! That fantastical cartridge would be a flame thrower and barrel eater.
    The cartridge may be a barrel eater, but who's using the 25-06 like an AR-15? Most peoples 25-06's aren't going to see 3,000+ rounds in their lifetime. No concern on my part about it. YMMV.

(Luzerne County)

You all guys better get real. 223, 25-06,30-30,30-06,308, what ever, It don't matter. We will all be using a shotgun with slugs or buckshot in the future. It's in the works, like it or not, and thats if we will be able to hunt at all. The "bambi brains" will take over.

(Lackawanna County)

I have a friend that has a son that is 12 years old but quite small for his age. He absolutely loves being in the woods with anyone that he can. Anyway his dad bought him a Rem. 700 SPS tactical in .223. He took him to the range a couple of times to sight it in and get custom to shooting at full sized deer paper targets. He hunted the first few days with his dad and the first Saturday his dad wasn't able to go so I took him along with me and I left my rifle him and just brought the handgun. Anyway we were sitting on stand when a very large doe came out at about I'm guessing in the 145 - 155 yrd range. I see him going for his rifle and I asked him "are you ok making that long of a shot?" His response was "Watch this". I thought oh boy here goes an entire day chasing a wounded deer. All I saw was the deers head and I hear the BANG. I told myself there is no way . . . So we walk over and there was the deer as dead as the day is long with a perfectly placed .223 bullet right behind the ear, she was dead before she even hit the ground. I wanted to see ifthis kid was a fluke or was really that good of a shot so wen went to the range, he was grouping 5 shots in a quarter at 100yds. It was a great experience for me and it goes to show u that a well placed shot is better then a big bang . . . .

(Somerset County)

Nah, not when the 270 is better.

I think there was one or two last year but I don't recall any before that.

Dale

(Chester County)

The cartridge may be a barrel eater, but who's using the 25-06 like an AR-15? Most peoples 25-06's aren't going to see 3,000+ rounds in their lifetime. No concern on my part about it. YMMV.
    The 25-'06 a barrel eater??
    I certainly hope not as with my Ruger #1 in this caliber I took two Maryland
    "Beanfield" Deer, last year at 300+ yards and dropped both in their tracks.
    Barrel shot out??
    I think think that my Ruger # 1 is just getting "warmed up".
    I love the cartridge,AND it is highly UNDERATED.
    Game Hunting??
    Pay close attention to Bullet Choice.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast