Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Question Taurus 66 History Question....

I am looking for people's history (read: not opinion) with the Taurus 66 (.357).

Cheaperthandirt.com has it for $399 for the Stainless Steel and $328 for the blued. Shipping is only $7.95 and with a $20 transfer the price is hard to pass up.

I am interested because the price is so good but you hear Taurus has its quality issues. The only thing I would consider would be the Ruger GP100 but that is $100 more.

So if anybody can give me both positive and negative History with the model, (or any other Taurus revolver), it would be most appreciated.
    Yond Cassius has a lean and hungry look; He thinks too much, such men are dangerous

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: Taurus 66 History Question....

I have two Taurus revolvers. An original Raging Bull SS .454 when they were just out and a model 66 in SS that I just got a year ago.

The .454 has been flawless.

The model 66 had issues. I ordered the gun from a local dealer (for $400) and picked it up on a Thursday, took it to the range on Friday and called the dealer, took it back on Saturday. Had it in my possession less than 48 hrs. The cylinder would bind up as it cycled through. Taurus paid to ship it back from the dealer. They 'adjusted' a whole laundry list of items. It ran smother when I got it back, but still bound up. Took it back in less than 24 hrs this time. Taurus paid shipping again and this time they replaced the cylinder (I suspected it was not square with the bore in the first place) I have ran about 1k rounds through it since then and it has been flawless. I would, and do, trust my life with it.

When I want a truck gun it fits in the center console just right and carries 7 .357 rds.

I shot a round of IDPA with it one time. I was very accurate with it although the reloading absolutely KILLED my times. On a short stage without reloads I was only a little bit slower working the DA.

(Montgomery County)

I have shot a Taurus model 66 and it is not even close in quality refinement when compared to a Smith and Wesson or a (gulp) Ruger. Considering the price of ammunition, why buy a revolver for 100 bucks less if you are going to have a weapon of lower quality (100 bucks is about the cost of 6-7 boxes of .38 special).

By the way, 400 USD is not cheap and much better .357 revolvers can be bought for that much. Used GP100's go for about 400 bucks (stainless), Smith and Wesson model 66's also go for about that much. In my experience, you would be better off with a used revolver than buying a Taurus model 66.

edit: there is a Smith Model 66 in the classifieds for 385 USD, here:
    http://forum.pafoa.org/firearms-6/12...385-500-a.html
    Last edited by Steve_NEPhila; February 27th, 2011 at 03:04 PM. Reason: added listing
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

(Montgomery County)

Could not agree more with Steve. Any prelock SW66 or Model 19 *the blued version) is much superior in quality. Dave_n

(Allegheny County)

Lightbulb Re: Taurus 66 History Question....

S&W revolvers ARE da' BOMB.

That said, my 605's have always given good service. I believe a late-model 66, barring any metallurgical or manufacturing defect, would give just as good a service.

Mind you, I DON'T shoot three-gun with them. For a "just-in-case" trip to the local Stop 'N' Rob for a quick gallon milk - when I don't feel like strapping into a 1911 - my 605 fits neatly in the pocket, and at the 7 yard firing line and closer, gives acceptable accuracy.

Am I planning on bringing down a helo with it? (2:00 mark)

Uhhh... NO.

Will it MAKE a badguys day? Oh yeahhhhhhh...

(Allegheny County)

Thanks for the feedback. That Smith just got posted. Gonna check it out.
    Yond Cassius has a lean and hungry look; He thinks too much, such men are dangerous

(Montgomery County)

Regularly check your local shops used section as well. I am not saying that the posted S&W is the best option, just that the market out there has high quality items in it.
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

I am a Taurus fanatic, but with only some of their models. The 66 is not one of them. I am fortunate in that I get to shoot a multitude of pistols, especially of people new to firearms. I have shot a few model 66's to sight in for people, and I do not find the quality in it that the Tracker has. Some of the model 66's as well as some S&W 66's have had forcing cone issues. The good thing with Taurus is if you get the 66, you have a lifetime warranty, no matter how many people owned the gun or how old it is. It takes up to eight weeks to get a repair done, but they do repair it. Have a back up if you get the Taurus 66. The Smith may not have a warranty if you buy used and you will foot the bill for a new barrel if the forcing cone takes a dump. My money for a .357 is on the Ruger GP 100, new or used. It is a rugged revolver that will take some serious shooting. The Tracker is $50 more on average than the 66 and is a much better built revolver. JMHO

(Lancaster County)

I am a huge fan of both S&W and Ruger revolvers. Being that you asked only about Taurus model 66 thats what Ill talk about. I have one and it had issues. After only about 200 rounds the cylinder started to get real loose and eventually stop locking. It could even be rotated in the opposite direction by hand. I sent it back and it did come back fixed but I truly believe that it is just a matter of time before it happens again. It is extremely accurate though. As a matter of fact I shoot it better in s/a than I do my Smith 19, Ruger GP100 and Dan Wesson model 15. If for some reason I had to give up a 357 it would be a no brainer and the Taurus would go. Hope this helps. Heres a pic, it came with rubber grips but I swapped them out since they felt a little too thin for me.

Last edited by bripro; February 27th, 2011 at 10:47 PM.

I have a 1988 4" blued and a 1992 6" stainless 669. No problems with either. Fit and finish is good, close enough or equal to S&W. The only down side is the trigger is not as smooth as a S&W or Ruger but not something you can't work with. I carry the 4" when I'm dressed to conceal it so I have no qualms about reliability (6" is a little too big).

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast