Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Venango County)

Default FFL license on display is expired?

Here is a question for some of you, who are more in the know. Let me tell you the tale.

The Mrs and I went shopping earlier. To a store that will not be named as of yet. The store does have a meager supply of rifles, so I thought I would stop by and take a look.

As I looked at them, I noticed the FFL is displayed in the case, taped into a frame. I just glanced at it, because I was doing some research on getting my C&R, and had also found info for the standard FFL as well.

I noticed the FFL was not signed by the licensee. Which, I don't know alot about it. But, I figure maybe being a larger store, they might not need a signature, in case the license is granted to the corporation, or some other loophole. I ask the Mrs what she sees wrong with it. And she points out that the FFL expired. . . in march of 2008.

Now, I am concerned. I don't know all the regulations concerning an FFL license. Does a current up to date one need to be on display? Are they able to have the current copy locked up somewhere safe?

I just want to know, so if they are not doing what they need to be doing, I can maybe have someone take care of it, and rectify it.

I guess the bigger question here is, if they need to have an up to date one, signed, and on display. What then of the rifles sold since march of 08? Were those then not good transfers?

If this is in the wrong section, I do apologize. I figured this would be the best place for it. If a mod would like to move it, that is fine as well. Just know we have alot of knowledged people here, that can push me in the right direction to correct this.
    I'm so fast, I can bump fire a bolt action.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: FFL license on display is expired?

Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    Here is a question for some of you, who are more in the know. Let me tell you the tale.

The Mrs and I went shopping earlier. To a store that will not be named as of yet. The store does have a meager supply of rifles, so I thought I would stop by and take a look.

As I looked at them, I noticed the FFL is displayed in the case, taped into a frame. I just glanced at it, because I was doing some research on getting my C&R, and had also found info for the standard FFL as well.

I noticed the FFL was not signed by the licensee. Which, I don't know alot about it. But, I figure maybe being a larger store, they might not need a signature, in case the license is granted to the corporation, or some other loophole. I ask the Mrs what she sees wrong with it. And she points out that the FFL expired. . . in march of 2008.

Now, I am concerned. I don't know all the regulations concerning an FFL license. Does a current up to date one need to be on display? Are they able to have the current copy locked up somewhere safe?

I just want to know, so if they are not doing what they need to be doing, I can maybe have someone take care of it, and rectify it. I guess the bigger question here is, if they need to have an up to date one, signed, and on display. What then of the rifles sold since march of 08? Were those then not good transfers?

If this is in the wrong section, I do apologize. I figured this would be the best place for it. If a mod would like to move it, that is fine as well. Just know we have alot of knowledged people here, that can push me in the right direction to correct this.
    i think your best course of action should be to mind your own business since it's not your FFL. how do you know the owner just hasn't gotten around to removing the expired license and his current license is kept in a file cabinet, also there's no requirement to have the license on display. the FFL doesn't have to be signed unless he's purchasing firearms from a manufacturer or sending it to another FFL in order to receive a firearm.
    Last edited by wellcraft; February 27th, 2011 at 10:41 AM.

(Venango County)

Quote Originally Posted by wellcraft View Post
    i think your best course of action should be to mind your own business since it's not your FFL. how do you know the owner just hasn't gotten around to removing the expired license and his current license is kept in a file cabinet, there's no requirement to have the license on display. the FFL doesn't have to be signed unless he's purchasing firearms from a manufacturer or sending it to another FFL in order to receive a firearm.
    Dude, I think his question was more to get the law straight before telling the guy he happened to notice his license is expired, not to get him in trouble, sheesh

Glock Pistols.......So simple a Caveman could fix them!

(Venango County)

Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    . I just glanced at it, because I was doing some research on getting my C&R, and had also found info for the standard FFL as well.
    Oh! and thread hijack..........You better get a third Job....LOL

Last edited by MrBi11; February 27th, 2011 at 10:51 AM.

If God didn't intend us to have guns why would he have given us a trigger finger?

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by markheck1 View Post
    Dude, I think his question was more to get the law straight before telling the guy he happened to notice his license is expired, not to get him in trouble, sheesh
    i understand what his question is and i still think he should mind his own business especially when he says maybe he can get someone to rectify it.

(Venango County)

i understand what his question is and i still think he should mind his own business especially when he says maybe he can get someone to rectify it.
    Maybe we read it different, I think he meant telling the the owner it was expired, not calling the ATF, and he wanted to know what he was talking about first, but only one of us knows that for sure

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by markheck1 View Post
    Maybe we read it different, I think he meant telling the the owner it was expired, not calling the ATF, and he wanted to know what he was talking about first, but only one of us knows that for sure
    i don't think it would hurt for the OP to mention to the owner that the license was expired, i wouldn't, because i'm confident the guy has a valid FFL and for what ever reason has left the old copy on display.

(Centre County)

I'm just guessing it doesn't matter if it's on display (IANAL). I don't recall seeing any posted at gun shows. As long as the dealer can call in to do PICS checks, his/her FFL must be valid, correct?

(Venango County)

Mark was spot on. I don't plan on getting anyone in trouble, or making a scene. I just want to make sure that if something isn't the way it should be, that it gets taken care of. My concern was about anyone that had purchased firearms from them in that time frame. That the buyers would not get in trouble for anything.
    I'm so fast, I can bump fire a bolt action.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast