Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Centre County)

Thumbs down Oh Scotia Range! Oh Scotia Range!

Took a quick trip to Scotia today to remind myself how rusty I am. I took the ol' Mosin out, along with my G23, and had a good time on the frozen PGC tundra until I was about to leave and had the pleasure of looking down the business end of an AK bullpup. Yes, you read that right.
    I was packing up to leave and 3 college aged (looking) guys roll in and started setting up. We were all at the auxiliary range as the main was closed, I was on the far left table with them setting up on the far right. Before too long, even before they had set up any targets, the AK had a mag in it, and shortly after, one of the guys had it racked and oriented in the direction of yours truly. I wasn't aware of all this..My range partner told me what happened when we were in the car.
    That range, and the people thereof never cease to amaze me. These "dudes" arrived in a newer model GRAY Jeep Grand Cherokee, perhaps a Laredo. The beginning of the license plate read HD... That's all I could catch. I don't know what else to say. We've all seen it.
    Hunting is NOT a 2nd Amendment Activity

(Centre County)

Default Re: Oh Scotia Range! Oh Scotia Range!

Well, the first mistake was going to the range on "State Patty's Day". It's a safe bet that everyone, and I mean everyone, today is drunk or getting drunk.

I like Scotia. It's a nice place to take newbies, especially the small auxiliary range where you're completely surrounded by the berm, and there's plenty of scrap brass to pick up. But a lot of the college crowd just want to act out their Rambo fantasies. I took an old friend of mine out there for his first time with a gun last week, and explained range etiquette the whole way there. It was quite a letdown to see not one target stand intact. We ended up lying a paper target on the backstop and weighing it down with shattered bits of target holder. Part of me agrees with the PGC's range permit plan, but I know it'll still me and my 3-year-old with a rake and bucket playing "pick up the pretty metal bits"

As far as those three "dudes" (if they are who I think they are), I've run into them a few times. I'd yell at them, but normally I have my son with me and I don't want him in the line of fire.

(Centre County)

Well...State Patty's crossed my mind, but how many drunks are going to end their fun and get their guns and drive to the range safely? I know what you're saying though. I just need to get on the ball and get into a sportsman's club or find a friend's open property that they'd be willing to let me shoot on...which I haven't found yet But what can ya do..
    Hunting is NOT a 2nd Amendment Activity

(Centre County)

I know. Exactly why I still go to Scotia...

(Centre County)

Anyone belong or know someone who is? Hear good/bad things?

http://www.outdoorsportsmansclub.com/

I'm lucky that I can usually go during the week and in the morning/after lunch and avoid most of the retards. The last time I went it was after 4:30 and the main range was closed and shared the aux rifle range with a group of guys dumping 30 round mags from an AR into the 100yd berm who "didn't need a target." They "didn't wanna walk that far." OOOOO-K, see you later......
    Last edited by FLICK; February 28th, 2011 at 10:11 PM.
    I don't watch shark week. Sharks watch FLICK week.

(Centre County)

Flick - OSC has some nice ranges but it also cost a pretty penny, weather it's worth it or not is up to you. I've shot there once or twice and liked it, just don't have the cash to put down for the membership.

As far as Scotia, actions like this should not surprise you anymore. It has been going on for as long as I have shot out there, the trick it to get someone in your group to be designated as RO or be the RO yourself. It also helps to call the DCNR and report suspicious actions/events like this, if they have someone in the area they will send them over.... The PGC North Central Office phone number is 570-398-4744
    Last edited by ithinkimamedic; March 1st, 2011 at 06:30 PM. Reason: fat fingered the phone number in wrong....
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    Buy a silencer.

Tax: $200
    Cost of effective 5.56 suppressor: $500
    Letting the elderly neighbors sleep in until morning: Priceless.

"132 and Bush I've got him at gun point, OK gun point, 132 and bush, cover is code 3"

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

(Somerset County)

Quote Originally Posted by ithinkimamedic View Post
    It also helps to call the DCNR and report suspicious actions/events like this, if they have someone in the area they will send them over.... The DCNR North Central Office phone number is 570-298-4744
    It's the Pa Game Commission (PGC) and the region phone numbers are 570-398-4744 and 570-398-4745.

Dale

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by dk99358 View Post
    It's the Pa Game Commission (PGC) and the region phone numbers are 570-398-4744 and 570-398-4745.

Dale
    Thanks for the correct, I had it programmed in my phone incorrectly from years past (before I knew better, just never changed it). Clearly my fat fingers flubbed the number and I will change my post to reflect the correct one. Good catch
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    Buy a silencer.

Tax: $200
    Cost of effective 5.56 suppressor: $500
    Letting the elderly neighbors sleep in until morning: Priceless.

"132 and Bush I've got him at gun point, OK gun point, 132 and bush, cover is code 3"

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by dk99358 View Post

Dale
    Added those to my contact list for tomorrow's trip. Thanks, guys.