Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (York County)

Default PAFOA Classifieds

Since I am always in the market for a new toy, I check the classifieds on this board several times a day.

I am constantly amazed at some of the asking prices for handguns.

I realize that if the price is way out of line, the gun (probably) won't sell.

I subscribe to to the Bluebook and check both Gunbroker and Guns International frequently. It is very easy to establish the approximate value of a gun.

Just as they say in real estate, location, location, location. In guns it's condition, condition, condition, plus rarity/collectability.

I see some ads on this board for guns, that even if they were actually 100%, the asking price far exceeds the actual value.

I think most folks start with what they have in a piece and price from there. I learned a long time ago that you will rarely get out what you have invested.

Enough said. I just wanted to share my thoughts on this issue.

(Wayne County)

Default Re: PAFOA Classifieds

I too think some of the asking prices for used guns are way too high here. What gets me the most are ads where someone is trying to sell a used gun for just about what a new one costs. I don't care if you only shot 50 or 100 rounds thru it. Once it leaves the gunshop it is used. Don't expect to buy a gun, take it to the range one time and then sell it for $50 less then what you paid for it because you didn't like it or whatever.

Once a gun is used, I go by what you would realistically get for it if you tried to sell it to a gunshop.

(Lehigh County)

I can see you point and have often thought the same thing about some of the prices. In fact, I have a few guns for sale now(although archived because I didn't follow the rules, oops) that may be priced a bit high and I'm willing to take reasonable offers. Just because you or I believe the prices are higher than they should be doesn't mean that a potential buyer may not be happy to purchase at that price. Maybe out of convienience or maybe it something the buy wants and hasn't been able to find. I just purchased a used Smith for more money that I wanted to spend but the pickings were slim for this model in my area.

From a sellers point of view it may be listed "for sale" when in reality "it's available". In my case, I have some firearms listed that I would like to sell and get rid of and some that for the right price I will sell but I'm not necessarily looking to get rid of.

It's a free market. Whatever terms buyer/seller come to is the correct price.

(Allegheny County)

If a price is really out of line the gun will sit there, it's true. But it's also been my experience that if you list something at what you know is a good price you'll still get lowballers trying to offer half. I think some people assume that everyone who lists an item needs the cash and is desperate to sell ASAP. So the trick is to find a listing price that attracts interest and still gives you room to come down if you need to.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by OM18V View Post
    I can see you point and have often thought the same thing about some of the prices. In fact, I have a few guns for sale now(although archived because I didn't follow the rules, oops) that may be priced a bit high and I'm willing to take reasonable offers. Just because you or I believe the prices are higher than they should be doesn't mean that a potential buyer may not be happy to purchase at that price. Maybe out of convienience or maybe it something the buy wants and hasn't been able to find. I just purchased a used Smith for more money that I wanted to spend but the pickings were slim for this model in my area.

From a sellers point of view it may be listed "for sale" when in reality "it's available". In my case, I have some firearms listed that I would like to sell and get rid of and some that for the right price I will sell but I'm not necessarily looking to get rid of.

It's a free market. Whatever terms buyer/seller come to is the correct price.
    Pretty much the bottom line isn't it.

(Lawrence County)

I see the same thing everyday, more so with handguns but rifles also. There was a Springfield XD on here a while ago for $450 used when you could buy the same exact gun new at Buds for $429. Another guy had 3 used XD9 magazines for $60+ when Midway had them for $21 each new. My brother in law was looking for a Marlin 30-30 for deer, saw one here for $380 used with a cheap, throw-away scope, Buds has them for $339 un-scoped.

I realize that it's a free country and you can ask whatever you want but some people are in a fantasy world. I find better prices on used guns at dealers than I find here on most occasions.

(Philadelphia County)

Not only used guns, but the same applies to accessories.

People just need to understand that, for example, a used scope/red-dot or whatever, is not priced to sell at $10 off store price. For a few extra coins, you are better off getting it brand new, with warranty and a return option.

But then again, buyer beware.
    ==============
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!”
    ~Samuel Adams

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
    ~Thomas Jefferson, 1791

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by PhillyAR View Post
    Once a gun is used, I go by what you would realistically get for it if you tried to sell it to a gunshop.
    What you have to realize is that a gunshop is not going to give you what the gun is worth. Gunshops are in business to make a buck. If he gives you $500 for something worth $550, he's not making much. Guns may lose value, but not as much as you think, especially if it's in prestine condition. He may offer you $375, and sell it for $550.

(Chester County)

It doesn't cost anything to post, so unless they really need the money I guess they are just fishing for a sucker. You also gotta figure for a handgun you are going to have to pay at least $25 to transfer it too.

I see some good deals in the classifieds too. I enjoy browsing every day, never know what you might find.

(York County)

Talking Re: PAFOA Classifieds

You know, its a good thing that one can't simply hit the reply button. On some items being sold when I see the asking price, many a time I've been tempted to ask what medication the seller is on because I want some of it too.
    Last edited by Ecclectic Collector; February 26th, 2011 at 01:21 PM. Reason: grammar

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast