Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Back to Basics: Why So Much Trouble Staying on Target With Lightweight Guns?

I generally do well with my heavier guns: The SIG P220 Super Match, the SA Range Officer, the CZ-75. But, when I take my Glocks (especially the 21SF) and now the FNP-45 to the range, I tend to start strong (first couple of rounds), and then drift down between 6 and 7 o'clock.

After some serious consideration, and re-visiting some grip technique YouTube videos, I believe that I may not be exerting the proper 60/40 (60 with my left/control hand) grip strength, and in fact, reversing it.

To me, that would seem to make sense, as I'm thinking it may not be as critical with a heavier gun. But, as always, your thoughts are appreciated.

As an aside, I've been shooting for about 18 months now, and this is really frustrating. Having those days when you feel like you might as well have just set your ammo money on fire, kinda stinks.

Thanks!
    Mark
    "I don't care what went wrong. I beat the snot out of it until it works" - Clint Smith

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Back to Basics: Why So Much Trouble Staying on Target With Lightweight Guns?

marks, i am by no means an expert, but pulling 6 is almost always pushing down, and 7 is almost always jerking the trigger.

as far as 60-40, i don't know if i believe in that as much as others. i'm more of 100-100. as much of both hands as possible, and a high tang grip. watch this video, he explains it a lot better than i do. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nm9uG5bPubw

by the way, howdy neighbor!!! (warminster)

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Back to Basics: Why So Much Trouble Staying on Target With Lightweight Guns?

The good part is that your paying attention and experimenting , keep that up and you'll see changes and progress .
    Check this out :
    http://www.firearmstrainingandtactic...ts+back+target

FWIW not everyone is looking for a 60/40 and many people prefer a neutral grip

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by jakebrake View Post
    marks, i am by no means an expert, but pulling 6 is almost always pushing down, and 7 is almost always jerking the trigger.
    Yes, I agree. Again, with me, more prevalent when I'm shooting a light gun, but absolutely, it's not the gun(s). It's me.

as far as 60-40, i don't know if i believe in that as much as others. i'm more of 100-100. as much of both hands as possible, and a high tang grip. watch this video, he explains it a lot better than i do. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nm9uG5bPubw
    Great video, and one I had not seen before. Thanks. What I notice, is that between shots, I feel my forward/control thumb slide on the frame of the pistol. Which essentially means that I'm needing to "re-grip" or regain contact on the frame with my forward thumb. I'm thinking (though I don't really want to do it) that a thin strip of skate tape on that part of the surface of the pistol might help. Again though, I should be able to work this out without that.

by the way, howdy neighbor!!! (warminster)
    Nice to see someone local! Was just out your way today (at Mike's Bar and Grill), which was half way to Tanner's. Somehow, I resisted. Having said that, they are open another few hours today though.
    "I don't care what went wrong. I beat the snot out of it until it works" - Clint Smith

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn.L View Post
    The good part is that your paying attention and experimenting , keep that up and you'll see changes and progress .
    Check this out :
    http://www.firearmstrainingandtactic...ts+back+target

FWIW not everyone is looking for a 60/40 and many people prefer a neutral grip
    Thank you! More good info. You're right, and as noted by jakebrake's comment and video, who can really determine 60/40? I know I can't.

For me, it's just a matter of sticking with it. I find that unlike some (who I envy), I don't transition from gun to gun very well. I need to spend time with each pistol I pick up. I like everything about the FNP-45 and the Glock 21 (both of which, IMO, will make good carry guns), so I'm determined to sort it out.

(Westmoreland County)

I am no expert, very far from it, but obviously a heavier gun absorbs the recoil better, maybe has less muzzle rise?
    Are you sure it is just your grip technique?

Since the title of your thread is "Back to Basics", it couldn't hurt to read this chart. It has helped me. I keep some copies in my range bag to review or give to others who ask.
    I sometimes also have trouble adjusting to guns that are not completely second nature to me, like my K-frame size revolvers, and 1911s are. Especially the transition from shooting a heavier 1911, then picking up a Beretta 92F which is much lighter and a less recoil in comparism.
    I currently own no plastic guns to compare, but when firing them I have noticed that I tend to tighten my fingers more on a lighter gun, which almost sounds like your 7 o'clock results. YMMV

The chart--

[IMG][/IMG]
    LUKE 11:21 == Proverbs 29:2 = Proverbs 25:28

(Montgomery County)

It is all in your head, literally.

Lighter guns have a more pronounced recoil impulse, which punishes your body. In turn, your brain anticipates the recoil (pain) and attempts to compensate by counteracting the expected motion.

The mass of heavier weapons absorbs the recoil impulse, as more energy is used to move the greater mass of the heavier weapon. The lighter weapon transfers more of the recoil impulse to the shooter due to less mass to overcome. Our brains play funny tricks on us, which we can play right back. I trick myself that I am dry firing coupled with lots of dry firing and it keeps my shots about where I want them with my S&W 642.
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

(Montgomery County)

@Steve_NEPhila: Very interesting! Over-thinking in a way, I suppose, without intending to do so. I'm going out again to the range tomorrow armed with some good advice/thoughts. Thanks!

(Cumberland County)

I tend to shoot in the Pushing, No follow through area. I understand pushing but can anyone explain follow through for me.

(Franklin County)

When shooting with my uncle last week, he made the same comment. He had better shots with my brick( Hi-Point 45). Myself, I shoot better with my SA 9mm which is light, now I noticed the more rapid I fire the better I am. When I bare down and concentrate after each shot, I tend to move around too much. Does anybody else notice that ?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast