Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Long Rifle Laws

(Wayne County)

Default Long Rifle Laws

Ok so I was informing my buddy about the laws about carrying a handgun in your car. I told him you need a LTCF unless if certain exceptions apply. But then he asked if you can carry a rifle unloaded in your car all the time and I honestly dont know. So I was wondering if you guys could help me out so I can inform my buddy properly. Thanks

(Indiana County)

Default Re: Long Rifle Laws

Quick response - rifle unloaded in car is okay. The law doesn't tell you what you can do, just what you can't. This is from Title 34, Pennsylvania Consolidated Statutes (the fish & game stuff):
    Sec. 2503. Loaded firearms in vehicles. (a) General rule. - Except as otherwise provided in this title, it is unlawful for any person to have a firearm of any kind in or on or against any conveyance propelled by mechanical power or its attachments at any time whether or not the vehicle or its attachment is in motion unless the firearm is unloaded.
    (b) Exceptions. - This section shall not be construed to apply to:
    (1) A police officer engaged in the performance of his official duty.
    (2) A commission officer engaged in the performance of his duty.
    (3) A person carrying a loaded pistol or revolver when in possession of a valid firearms license issued by the chief or head of any police force or the sheriff of a county when the license is issued for protection under 18 Pa.C.S. Ch. 61 Subch. A (relating to Uniform Firearms Act).
    (4) Any person as defined in section 2121(c) (relating to killing game or wildlife to protect property) while on lands they control and when not hunting or trapping for game or wildlife.
    (5) Any motorboat or other craft having a motor attached or any sailboat if the motor has been completely shut off or the sail furled and its progress therefrom has ceased.
    (6) Any political subdivision, its employees or agents, which has a valid deer control permit issued under section 2902(c) (relating to special categories of permits).
    The exceptions in paragraphs (1) through (5) of this subsection do not apply when attempting to locate game or wildlife with an artificial light or when exercising any privileges granted by this title which may be exercised only when not in the possession of a firearm.
    (c) Penalty. - A violation of this section is a summary offense of the fourth degree if the vehicle is in motion. Otherwise the violation is a summary offense of the fifth degree.

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by Statkowski View Post
    Quick response - rifle unloaded in car is okay. The law doesn't tell you what you can do, just what you can't. This is from Title 34, Pennsylvania Consolidated Statutes (the fish & game stuff):
    I love the nonsense of Title 34.

For instance, (b)(1) says that only police officers engaged in the performance of their duties (ie, on duty) can carry a loaded rifle in a vehicle.

Whereas Title 18 (UFA) 6106.1 says police officers, military, Feds, bank guards, etc are exempt;

§ 6106.1. Carrying loaded weapons other than firearms.
    (a) General rule.--Except as provided in Title 34 (relating to game), no person shall carry a loaded pistol, revolver, shotgun or rifle, other than a firearm as defined in section 6102 (relating to definitions), in any vehicle. The provisions of this section shall not apply to persons excepted from the requirement of a license to carry firearms under section 6106(b)(1), (2), (5) or (6) (relating to firearms not to be carried without a license) nor shall the provisions of this section be construed to permit persons to carry firearms in a vehicle where such conduct is prohibited by section 6106.

There is no mention of "on duty" for police officers (b)(1), however persons in the military (b)(2) must be on duty.

(Lehigh County)

Zoanemesis, I haven't done any extra research, so somebody will probably correct me, but my immediate understanding is that if you hold a LTCF, you can transport a long arm UNLOADED in your vehicle all the time. If you don't have a LTCF, the same restrictions apply as to a handgun; you can transport the long arm UNLOADED directly to and from the range, the gunshop, hunting activity, etc., but don't get caught stopping off at the grocery with a rifle in your trunk. This for me was one of the most immediate advantages of the LTCF. I could stop worrying and planning my itinerary based on whether I had my rifle in the car, and of course could dispense with securing my handgun every time I got behind the wheel. Basically, it is NEVER permissible to transport a loaded long arm, and an unloaded one can only be transport "casually" if you possess a LTCF. Sound right, all?

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by Deadpan View Post
    A LTCF is not needed to transport an unloaded longarm in a vehicle, except in Philly or during a declared state of emergency.
    Right, but it IS needed to transport a long arm, or in fact any firearm, just anywhere you wish (grocery, work, the gym), as opposed to directly to or from a range, hunting, gun shop, etc. Isn't it?
    This may be quibbling about something one isn't likely to be discovered doing, much less charged for, but it's how I understood restrictions on non-LTCF holders when I moved to PA.

(Lehigh County)

I see; so the definition is in fact aimed at virtually any pistol, but only at long arms that are what you might call "suspiciously abbreviated," such as a sawed-off shotgun or perhaps a bull-pup rifle. Having just measured the barrel of my big rifle at around 29", it seems I could drive that anywhere I wanted, even without an LTCF. Right? There does seem to be a very broad "Firearm" definition at the end of 6106, but it appears to only apply to specific exceptions. Additionally, it appears that the "unloaded" stipulation only applies to exceptions for people without a LTCF, such that a LTCF would permit loaded transport of a long arm of any length. Does that sound right?

(Lehigh County)

Oh, it looks like the bit from Title 34 quoted above addresses the "loaded" issue. It would also appear that you can't load your firearm on your sailboat until it has come to a full stop

(Northampton County)

Just to be clear for everyone reading this thread: long guns are not considered "firearms" under the language of the UFA. This means that the restrictions of transporting a pistol do not apply to long guns. The only thing you need to remember about transporting long arms is that they have to be unloaded, LTCF or not.

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by uniballin View Post
    Just to be clear for everyone reading this thread: long guns are not considered "firearms" under some sections the language of the UFA. This means that the restrictions of transporting a pistol do not apply to long guns. The only thing you need to remember about transporting long arms is that they have to be unloaded, LTCF or not.
    Fixed it for you.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Wayne County)

So im sooo confused lol So regardless if you have a LTCF you can carry it unloaded in ur car all the time?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast