Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Berks County)

Default Could Bloomberg's Action Viollate PA UFA

The WalMart selling guns thread in the lounge got me thinking. One of the unique things about WalMart is the supposedly follows Mayor Michael Bloomberg's plan for tracking "Trace Data" as seen here.

Bloomberg has parlayed and used his position as mayor of possibly the largest city in the world to establish himself as the defacto protector mayor of the masses by expanding his influence across state lines, by attempting to embarass other state governments and points of commerce like WalMart into establishing new laws and regulations and policies in those states. Also, even breaking existing laws by encouraging other mayors and municipalities into violating premption statutes.

So, my question is does WalMart's connection with a public political figure place both they and Bloomberg in violation of 6111.4 ?

By creating a record of "Trace Data" Have they created a defacto "Registry"?
    Have WalMart & Bloomberg become agents of the state?

See: http://www.mayorsagainstillegalguns....tnership.shtml

§ 6111.4. Registration of firearms.

Notwithstanding any section of this chapter to the contrary, nothing in this chapter shall be construed to allow any government or law enforcement agency or any agent thereof to create, maintain or operate any registry of firearm ownership within this Commonwealth. For the purposes of this section only, the term "firearm" shall include any weapon that is designed to or may readily be converted to expel any projectile by the action of an explosive or the frame or receiver of any such weapon.

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: Could Bloomberg's Action Viollate PA UFA

If their "Trace Data" is compiled and kept outside of Pennsylvania it wouldn't run afoul of PA law. ...6111.4 says "within this commonwealth".
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    If their "Trace Data" is compiled and kept outside of Pennsylvania it wouldn't run afoul of PA law. ...6111.4 says "within this commonwealth".
    I would suggest that 6111.4 forbids the keeping a registry of the guns within the commonwealth and not the physical location of the registry.

Quote Originally Posted by twoeggsup View Post
    I would suggest that 6111.4 forbids the keeping a registry of the guns within the commonwealth and not the physical location of the registry.
    I would hope that is what it means.

However, depending on how this is interpreted newspapers and other sources outside the Commonwealth, like in Maryland, could publish names of gun owners, and the their firearms in the Commonwealth. The Pa State Police could just keep an actual registration database of all firearms (handguns, rifles, shotguns) in New Jersey.

If this is the way the law is to be interpreted a revision may be in order. It would seem to seriously undermine the intent of this provision in the UFA.
    Last edited by Mosinshooter762; February 27th, 2011 at 04:28 PM.