Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default 22 lr scope sight in

ok i just got an early x mas present, my first 22 and my first rifle with a scope......i was wondering at what distance should i sight in my scope, i go to fleetwood so my options are 25 yard 50 yard or 100 yards.....im a complete scope newbie....also what does the top turn thing do and what does the right side trun thing do....i would think one is up and down and one is left and right but i dont know which one....ill be hopefully going next weekend weather permitting to sight it in....thanks

Default Re: 22 lr scope sight in

the thing on top is your elevation adjustment and the one on the side is your windage adjustment , course I am just guessing since I aint seen it personally , did ya get any paper work to read like owners manuals?
    I sight my 22s at 25 yds to be pin point and it works for me at 50yds

Quote Originally Posted by WMG View Post
    the thing on top is your elevation adjustment and the one on the side is your windage adjustment , course I am just guessing since I aint seen it personally , did ya get any paper work to read like owners manuals?
    I sight my 22s at 25 yds to be pin point and it works for me at 50yds

This is correct, read the scop papers or look them up online, most are 1/4" per click 100Y
    Quick way to get it centered, shoot center on a target (if you can get a gun bed to lock it in it really helps) then take a shot, now reallign the gun on the center you shot at, use the screws to click your way to the bullet hole. Re center your scope on target, you should be right on within a few shots.
    Skeet is a sport where you are better to hit half of each bird then completely blast one and miss the other completely.

The choice is yours, place your faith in the court system and 12 of your peers, or carried away by 6 friends.

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit. 'Nobody provokes me with impunity'
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.
    Clint Eastwood
    The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

frency you have that backwards , after your shot you line up the bullet hole in the crosshairs then move the knobs until you are on the bullseye you shot at

as a quick example if you hit to the right and now you would be turning it more to the right if done your way, which means youd be way more right the next time you shot

(Allegheny County)

I think you and Frenchy are actually saying the same thing

no cuz The 1st way is moving from aiming point to the bullet hole , the 2 nd way is moving from bullet hole to the aiming point , confusing I know , do it the 1st way and youll be twice as far off the aiming point

no cuz The 1st way is moving from aiming point to the bullet hole , the 2 nd way is moving from bullet hole to the aiming point , confusing I know , do it the 1st way and youll be twice as far off the aiming point
    you shoot the gun at the bull, once you have that shot, you place the cross hairs back on the original bull. move the cross hairs using the clicks to the bullet hole, now your gun is shooting exactly where it is aiming.

If you move your gun to the hole and then move the clicks back to the bull, you will in effect be exactly 2 x as far as the first shot on your second shot.

Think of it, when you shoot the first shot, you are aiming at a virtual bull, the bullet hits where the gun is aimed at, not the scope, now you return the gun to the position it was when you originally shot it, and move the scope independent of the gun to the actual hole the bullet made, this puts the scop in alignment with the actual bore of the gun, or like i said where the hole is.

Your way of doing it, you shoot the bull, place the cross hairs where the hole is and move the gun back to the bull, you are in effect moving away from the bullet hole even further then the first shot. If the scope was 3 inch low and 2 to the right, you will now move the scope up 3 inch and 2 left to meet the bull, but the next bullet will now go 3 inch low and 2 inch right of the first bullet hole not the bull.

try it tell me what happens, then try it my way, 2 max 3 bullets your on bull.
    Last edited by Frenchy; December 10th, 2007 at 01:13 AM.
    Skeet is a sport where you are better to hit half of each bird then completely blast one and miss the other completely.

The choice is yours, place your faith in the court system and 12 of your peers, or carried away by 6 friends.

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit. 'Nobody provokes me with impunity'
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.
    Clint Eastwood
    The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

frency , no , stop for a second , here is your way
    I am 1 inch to the right on my shot , then I line up the bull and do what? , move my clicks to the right to hit the hole like you say , now I am 2 inches right
    however my way
    I am 1 inch right , i place my hairs on the bullet hole , and move my crosshairs .... left which is what needed done in the 1st place ... correct , think about it , or just trust me

Quote Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
    you shoot the gun at the bull, once you have that shot, you place the cross hairs back on the original bull. move the cross hairs using the clicks to the bullet hole, now your gun is shooting exactly where it is aiming.
    this is what you said that is not correct

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast