Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: 22 lr scope sight in

I am goin to suppose me and you are not thinking on the same terms as what we are trying to say , perhaps what his name was right and we are saying the same thing
    I am saying left or right and your saying "move" would it be the same thing if we looked at which way that was on the scope knobs?

Quote Originally Posted by WMG View Post
    once more ... if I am 1 inch right and I move my scope 1 inch left ........ the next time I line up the scope my barrel came over that 1 inch left
    I know what youre thinkin tho

FORGET YOUR DAMN PENNY

frency we both agree if i AM 1 INCH RIGHT .... i need to move my scope knobs left , correct? cause thats where the bullet goes ........... so how does turning my knobs right help?

Just ask yourself that
    Problem is, your not reading what I am saying, First off, I am not saying right left I said up down, but lets do it your way.
    Aim the bull!
    Shoot the shot (you say 1 inch right)
    Put the gun back on the bull and lock it there! (it is still 1 inch to the right correct?)
    move the scope to where the bullet impacted. Not the gun, just the scope, the gun should be locked in place. (Scope moves 1 inch to the right) Where the bullet hole is.
    now your scope is in perfect alignment to your gun. (Although not on bull, it is aimed at exactly where the bullet is)
    move the gun back to aim the bull.
    take a shot,
    Where will the bullet go?

Your way.

You said
    frency you have that backwards , after your shot you line up the bullet hole in the crosshairs then move the knobs until you are on the bullseye you shot at
    OK so now if I get you correctly. You said
    Aim the bull!
    Shoot the shot (you say 1 inch right)
    Put the gun back on the hole and lock it there! (it is now 2 inch to the right correct?)
    move the scope to where the bull is. Not the gun, just the scope, the gun should be locked in place. (Scope moves 1 inch to the left) so 1 more inche from where the bullet hole is.
    now your scope is in perfect alignment the bull. (Although the gun is 2 inches to the right)
    Cross hairs already on the bull.
    take a shot,
    Where will the bullet go?
    2 inches from the bull! Right where you put it and locked it.
    1 X $20
    2 X 10
    4 X $5
    or just 20 $1 I dont care, Heck, maybe some one who presently does CPM or a sharp shooter will jump in here. You cant go wrong if you take a shot at the bull, realighn the gun to the original bull and move the scope to the hole. If the gun does not move while you ajust the scope, the cross hairs on the hole will be exactly where the next bullet goes. Does nto matter what you shot at from that point on, the bullet will impact where ever the cross hairs are (pending gun accuracy of course)

If you move the gun like you said
    frency you have that backwards , after your shot you line up the bullet hole in the crosshairs then move the knobs until you are on the bullseye you shot at
    to the bullet hole, the whole gun moves with the scope, therefor the gun is now 2 inches right, and then move the scope to the bull, the gun locked in place at 2 inch will not move, where ever you shoot, you will be 2 inch off to the right now.

frency we both agree if i AM 1 INCH RIGHT .... i need to move my scope knobs left , correct? cause thats where the bullet goes ........... so how does turning my knobs right help?
    Ps Its FrencHy
    your theory is right if you are doing steel sights. go left to aim further right, but not on a scope, on a scope to go right, you go right, it is a virtual bull in the scope, where as the steel sights, it is the sights. Not the same. On steel sights, as the sights are technically always the same, by turning the screw you are moving the gun alignment to the rear sight.

Steel sights to go one way, you do the oposite. Scope, you correct the scope to the gun. As you always aim through the sights, you align the gun to the sights, on a scope, you align the scope to the gun the scope technically does not move, just the apeture inside holding the cross hairs.
    Last edited by Frenchy; December 10th, 2007 at 02:45 AM.
    Skeet is a sport where you are better to hit half of each bird then completely blast one and miss the other completely.

The choice is yours, place your faith in the court system and 12 of your peers, or carried away by 6 friends.

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit. 'Nobody provokes me with impunity'
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.
    Clint Eastwood
    The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

now i place it on the bullet hole and move it 1 inch left back to the bull
    isnt that what I just did
    sure seems that way
    OK Right here, you move the whole gun to sight in the hole right? The original gun alignment is the same at this point, so the gun is 2 inch to the right, now you move the scope cross hairs by themselves with the gun locked to the left, did your gun move? no, so it is still 2 inches off although your corss hairs are right no. Take a shot, your 2 inches off
    Skeet is a sport where you are better to hit half of each bird then completely blast one and miss the other completely.

The choice is yours, place your faith in the court system and 12 of your peers, or carried away by 6 friends.

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.
    Clint Eastwood

(Clinton County)

Frenchy is right, been doing it his way for 40 years. You shoot at the mark then holding the rifle steady move the crosshairs to intersect the bullet hole. The reticle acts like the front sight it moves in the opposite direction that you want the bullet to go, like a higher front sight makes you shoot lower.
    Last edited by Montell C. Williams; December 10th, 2007 at 08:45 AM.

(Allegheny County)

Yep, Frenchy is right.

BTW OP, 50 yards is a very good distance to sight in a 22LR

(Berks County)

thanks for the info guys, i didnt meen to start a sight in war........all the info i got will help a lot

Guess Ill never see that $ 20 now... Sheesh, well at least I wount have to pay it out

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Clint Eastwood

I usually start with a non boresighted gun by removing the bolt and aligning the actual bore of the gun on a large cirle target at 25 yards. Lock the gun in place. Prior to this, I mounted the scope after centering both windage and elevation knobs to center. You don't want to run out of adjustment either way. After locking in, I adjust the scope to the center of the bull. I shoot three shots. If I am on the large bull, I change to a smaller bull. If I hit the smaller bull, I move out to 100 yards on a 1" grid target. Shoot three shots. Find the center of my shots, and then adjust the scope for both windage and elevation. Good scopes move the correct amount. Shoot one shot, and find that I am hitting where I want to be hitting. The good news is that with a .22, you can shoot all day for cheap, and without shoulder pain or flinching.
    Jules

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123