Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Diagnose my Glock 29 problem please

I was at Classic Pistol today with my father shooting my 20 & 29 and his .38 S&W police special and Ruger .40.

I shot 100 rounds of 180gr FMJ (Federal Eagle), 20 rounds of 180gr FMJ (Double Tap) and 9 rounds of 135gr JHP (Double Tap) out of my stock G20 without any issues.

I shot 100 rounds of 180gr FMJ (Federal Eagle), and 10 rounds of 155gr XTP (Hornady) out of my stock G29 without any issues.

Decided to burn off my last mag, 135gr JHP (Double Tap) out of my G29 (very first time putting full power ammo through it), first round fired it cycled the slide, ejected the round and the slide locked up in a rearward position. The slide did not lock back (as in an empty mag), it locked up (was binded).

I dropped the mag out, and it took all my force to close the slide. I removed the slide from the frame and did a quick visual inspection of barrel, recoil spring and internals and didn't see any problems.

I then cycled the slide manually numerous times without a problem and then the slide locked up on me again. Once again it took all my force to close the slide.

I left the 29 at Classic for their Armorer to inspect.

Anyone know what the issue can be?
    G20 & G29 Member NRA; Life Member North American Fishing Club

Default Re: Diagnose my Glock 29 problem please

Quote Originally Posted by PhillyG29 View Post
    Anyone know what the issue can be?
    If it's jamming up beyond (too far) where it would on an empty mag, I would suspect the recoil spring. A worn spring and full power ammo are no good. If it's jamming somewhere in between battery position and the normal empty mag lockback point then you got me.
    Last edited by JP8; February 24th, 2011 at 05:20 PM.

(Philadelphia County)

I've seen this happen in a Ruger P89 and H&K USP40. There may be an issue with the locking block and trigger pins or even an issue with that ammo. That load may be at the right pressure to cause an issue with the dual recoil spring. If Classic Pistol's armorer does not take care of the issue, I would be glad to help you at no charge except for parts at cost, if needed, since you are on this forum.

www.doubletapshootingrange.com
    Last edited by Pointman73; February 24th, 2011 at 05:23 PM.
    Those who dare.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Pointman73 View Post
    I've seen this happen in a Ruger P89 and H&K USP40. There may be an issue with the locking block and trigger pins or even an issue with that ammo. That load may be at the right pressure to cause an issue with the dual recoil spring. If Classic Pistol's armorer does not take care of the issue, I would be glad to help you at no charge except for parts at cost, if needed, since you are on this forum.

Awesome to hear you are willing to help him or other forum members out like this....

Good business

(Philadelphia County)

Thumbs up Re: Diagnose my Glock 29 problem please

Quote Originally Posted by Pointman73 View Post
    ... I would be glad to help you at no charge except for parts at cost, if needed, since you are on this forum.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH for your GRACIOUS OFFER. I will keep you posted.

Any business that is offering to help out a "complete stranger" in such a manner is a rarity in this day and age. In my book that is going above and beyond A+ Customer Service!!!

I currently drive 30 minutes one way to fulfill my "boom boom addiction", my next Range session I will stop by and check you guys out.

(Bucks County)

Good luck with the issues man hopefully its nothing big which i cant see being its a glock

(Dauphin County)

I just got a glock 29 and have yet to fire it. You have got me worried I will go out and put some rounds through it if I can find any dang 10mm ammo near me.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by nicholasivanclark View Post
    I just got a glock 29 and have yet to fire it. You have got me worried I will go out and put some rounds through it if I can find any dang 10mm ammo near me.
    Nothing to worry about at all. I have several thousand rounds through my G29 with no issues before now. From other posters it sounds like my recoil spring is going.

As far as ammo is concerned, I raid all my local Gun Shops before a range session (that's why I just purchased my reloading stuff) . HP is pretty is to come by, but $$$ for 20 rds, it's the FMJ's 50 rds/box that are few and far between. If you are not already, get friendly with your Local Shop and they will order it in for you.

Mostly all factory ammo out there is not loaded to the 10mm full power potential. If you want full power 10mm, it can be bought from Buffalo Bore, Double Tap, Reed's Ammunition & Research & Swamp Fox.

If you haven't seen it already check out this thread: http://forum.pafoa.org/ammunition-re...10-lovers.html

I also belong to Glock Talk. They have these two 10mm specific forums:

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=67

(Dauphin County)

Yeah I have quickly discovered this. I have researched and know about the full powered, and heard Double Tap is the way to go. Any way you look at it though it ain't cheap to shoot. I have a couple local guys that will order it for me. I also found it for 19 a box on CTD, but I am going to pick up the few boxes I located tomorrow. I am rushing to get out and shoot it. Thanks for all the info very helpful.

What loads do you like to shoot?

(Bucks County)

How is the community on glocktalk? I just recently signed up...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast