Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Washington County)

Default Remington 870 magazine spring

I am looking for a replacement spring for my 870. I have the magazine extension so I will need the extended spring. What I am looking for are some suggestions. Remington sells the replacement for $3.40, but this gives me the same spring that sucked in the first place.

Brownells has a stainless steel version for $18.80 which seems a tad expensive, but may be worth it. I also found one on Midway USA from Scattergun Technologies for $7.99. Which is a nice price.

Just wondering if anyone has any opinions on these or any others.

Thanks
    The mightiest oak in the forest is just a little nut that held his ground.

(Mercer County)

Default Re: Remington 870 magazine spring

Fragmag,

Might have a look at Wolff springs made here in PA. They make an extended mag spring (sku 32712) for the 870, and I have had really good luck with Wolff for many, many years. Here is a link to the product, seen at the very bottom. You can order right from their site if you want to.

http://www.gunsprings.com/Rifles%20%.../mID108/dID216

Good luck.

(Philadelphia County)

Numrich Gun Parts lists a variety of 870 magazine springs between $4.10 and $6.65. Whichever one you pick, get at least three. One thing to know about some tube springs is that you may need to clip a few links to size it properly. Others may be sized to fit as they come.
    Those who dare.

(Washington County)

Thanks guys, I'll check them out.
    The mightiest oak in the forest is just a little nut that held his ground.

(Allegheny County)

Mine always jams loading the last round. It has to be that stupid spring. I even put a wilson combat follower in there instead of that uber cheap factory one. And now it only does it sporadically.

I'm guessing its that lousy spring.

Quote Originally Posted by Asmodeus6 View Post
    Mine always jams loading the last round. It has to be that stupid spring. I even put a wilson combat follower in there instead of that uber cheap factory one. And now it only does it sporadically.

I'm guessing its that lousy spring.
    If it jams on the last round, then it may be jamming right about the point where the follower is encountering the dimples inside the mag tube (on some guns.)

Some 870's come from the factory with 2 dimples on the inside of the mag tube at the muzzle end, which I believe are to hold the spring in when changing barrels. If you add an extension, they have to be completely drilled out or flattened, otherwise you get interference with the follower.
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    If it jams on the last round, then it may be jamming right about the point where the follower is encountering the dimples inside the mag tube (on some guns.)

Some 870's come from the factory with 2 dimples on the inside of the mag tube at the muzzle end, which I believe are to hold the spring in when changing barrels. If you add an extension, they have to be completely drilled out or flattened, otherwise you get interference with the follower.
    It was a factory extension. No dimples. I just checked like everywhere, but the whole thing is super smooth inside.

After seeing this thread I did a lot of reading in my down moments at work. Evidently the only thing that causes more jamming than dimples in a mag tube is the Wilson Combat follower I bought to "cure" my last round feeding issue with the factory one.

Who knew. Most people were going back to the factory one. I just tried that and it seemed to work fine. Maybe initially there was a burr and after running so many rounds through the heavier plastic WC follower ironed it out. But induced it's own type of malfunction. Just my luck.

Anyway. The stock follower is much shorter and has no tail. Albeit, it's a flimsy little plastic cup. I figured the tail was getting bound up on the heavily compressed spring somewhere right in between 5 and 6. So I cut 75% of the tail off the WC follower.

Voila. It works great now.

I just loaded it and unloaded the magazine tube about 15 times (and boy are my thumbs tired) without any issues. That was absolutely not possible before without getting a 5th or 6th round jam.

So thanks OP for making me go back and fix this long running errant issue.