Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Perry County)

Default Looking to buy M1 Carbine

So I'm looking to buy an M1 Carbine and I've got my eye on a few.

One is a Winchester for $650 but has a new parkerized barrel. I'm trying to find out why the barrel was replaced. I'd like to get a Winchester, but I'm not dead set on it. In a way having a new barrel is good but it takes away from the historical aspect of it.

Not sure what to do here.

(Lycoming County)

Default Re: Looking to buy M1 Carbine

Well whatever you find is what you find. Perhaps the barrel was shot out or it was rusted, who knows. The carbines from CMP are all dried up and none are expected to be available later.

You could always get it, then search the web for the correct barrel.

I wish I had bought a few carbines when I got into garands. I only have a Rock-Ola carbine.
    "Unus ut caput capitis"

(Bucks County)

Like the Garands 99.9% of the M1 Carbines have been rearsenaled at some time in their lives. Even when new some of the carbines from various makers had barrels installed from other manufactures. Try and research them as best as you can. There were many manufacturers for the military versions( around 10 I believe) and around 7 variations. In addition there were scads of commercial manufacturers.

Jeff
    Last edited by Pukindog; February 25th, 2011 at 07:24 AM.
    NRA Benefactor member
    NRA 2nd Amendment Foundation
    Colt Collectors Association
    Browning Collectors Association
    Sharps Arms Collectors Association
    SASS Association

SANS PEUR et SANS REPROACHE

(Allegheny County)

$650 for a Winchester isn't a bad price. Personally I'd stay away from import marked versions and try to find an ex-CMP gun (just in case you're looking at an import). If you lurk at the CMP forum you might have luck finding what you want. Maybe even post a WTB ad there. But like was stated earlier, the prices sure aren't going to come down since the CMP is out of them, probably forever. You could always buy the one you're looking at now and upgrade it later. There will always be a market for carbines.

(Perry County)

Quote Originally Posted by Pukindog View Post
    Like the Garands 99.9% of the M1 Carbines have been rearsenaled at some time in their lives. Even when new some of the carbines from various makers had barrels installed from other manufactures. Try and research them as best as you can. There were many manufacturers for the military versions( around 10 I believe) and around 7 variations. In addition there were scads of commercial manufacturers.

Jeff
    I understand that and I know I will not get an all matching parts rifle unless I spend the big bucks, and even then probably won't be ALL matching.

This one looked to have a new production barrel, not like one that was replaced for an arsenal rebuild or whatever.

(Westmoreland County)

Be very carefull if there is no lettering on the top of the barrel just behinnd the front sight. An original GI barrel will have something there. Usually a manufacturers name and sometimes a date as well. Many were not dated however. Early Winchester barrels had a WRA mark and usualy a date. Later Winchester barrels just have a W midway down the barrel.

There were lots of Gov't. contract barrels made in the '60s by a company named Hurlo. Some of these have chromed chambers and bores. If this carbine has one of these, especialy, the chrome; be extra cautious as they are very difficult to headspace They had to be reamed to get the headspace right. While the and when the chromed ones were cut they caused sticking rounds. One shining (yes the pun is intended) example of a wastfull project by the Gov't.
    BTW, these barrels can be identified by the HURLO Corp. mark on the flat just behind the gas piston housing.

Also be VERY wary of any commercial barrel on a GI carbine. Most are second rate and don't mate well to a GI rifle.

Your best bet is to find a rifle with an original GI barrel even if it has been arsenal redone. Non-imports are of course more desirable but don't shy away from a nice import either. Yes the value is a bit less, but then so is usualy the cost. Just be sure the rifle has all GI spec. parts.

If you can get pictures, post them and I'll try to tell you what you are looking at.

Good luck.

(Perry County)

(Lycoming County)

I'd pass on it, but thats me.
    "Unus ut caput capitis"

(Erie County)

That definitely has been re-barreled, and has been partially re-arsenalled as well (early model push button safety, late model magazine release, late model adjustable sights, type 3 barrel band). There's other ones out there that are in better, more correct condition.
    "A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed."
    United States Constitution - 2nd Amendment

(Perry County)

yeah, passing on that one. tried to snipe another one off gunbroker but apparently they have some sort of anti-sniping feature because it pushed the auction time out another 15 minutes. doh!

Woohoo! Got it! It's originally from the CMP so it should be good. Certainly looks good in the pics.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=217042678
    Last edited by WWGunslinger; February 26th, 2011 at 08:15 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast