Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Berks County)

Default Tokarev does not load or eject rounds. Hammer group rails too tight?

Just picked up a 9mm Tokarev, ordered a 7.62x25 barrel and recoil spring and just finished stripping it and doing a full cleaning. Im in love basically. The removable hammer group was just plain badass. I did note that the ejector was not rounded and spring very stiff.

So I go to hand cycle some surplus steel cased 9mm though it and the rounds will barely load. The slide has the be racked several times to load a single round. Ejecting the round is worse. The round just jams pulled out of the barrel but still in the ejection port. This freezes the slide and it will not move forward or back.

I tried the same cycling with brass cased rounds and the racking is smoother but the problem is still there.

I broke it down again and noticed terribly rough machining on the round guides which are apart of the removable hammer group. Also noticed there are dragging marks on the round guides where the rounds are digging into the guide rails. Some brass dust from the lip of the casing also shaved off and on the guides.

I made sure that a round can freely fall out of the barrel so it is not a buildup problem. Then I reassembled and dropped a brass cased round into the barrel without a mag. Same problem. The round will not eject. It just jams there. So now I know it is not the mag itself.

Does this sound like the guide rails need to be polished? Spread? Is this a common problem?

Last edited by Zet70; February 24th, 2011 at 01:33 AM.