Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Hatfield Township Preemption Violation Fixed

Background here.

Tonight the Hatfield Board of Commissioners unanimously approved a resolution to amend the township park rules to eliminate the prohibition of firearms. Here's an excerpt:

"A resolution to the township of Hatfield, Montgomery County, Pennsylvania, amending section 195-2 of the Hatfield Township Code to eliminate the prohibition against carrying firearms in township parks...

...Section 195-2(16)...is amended to read as follows: No person shall carry bows and arrows or other projectile devices within the park system unless authorized by Hatfield Township. This section shall not apply to firearms, the carrying and discharge of which are governed and regulated by state and federal law."
    (Emphasis added)

Counter to many accounts I've read here on PAFOA, I found the commissioners and other township representatives to be quite receptive to my complaint about the prohibition; this observation especially includes the chief of police, who was particularly supportive of my efforts.

The signs & website will certainly take a little while to update, and I'll be keeping my eye out for the corrections.
    Last edited by Jorg Schlagzeuger; February 23rd, 2011 at 10:03 PM.

Somewhere around Phoenixville, Pennsylvania
    (Chester County)

Thumbs up Re: Hatfield Township Preemption Violation Fixed

This is excellent. Very well done taking it upon yourself to pursue this and succeed in getting the result. From what I can gather, you went about this very professionally and respectfully, and I also commend you on that.

Default Re: Hatfield Township Preemption Violation Fixed

Nice to see them making the change without a court case. It would be handy to have precedent that says that local rules for municipal property are covered by preemption, but it's better to get the changes without the expense and risk of litigation, the results of which are never guaranteed.
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

(Delaware County)

Default Re: Hatfield Township Preemption Violation Fixed

Quote Originally Posted by Jorg Schlagzeuger View Post
    Background here.

Tonight the Hatfield Board of Commissioners unanimously approved a resolution to amend the township park rules to eliminate the prohibition of firearms. Here's an excerpt:

"A resolution to the township of Hatfield, Montgomery County, Pennsylvania, amending section 195-2 of the Hatfield Township Code to eliminate the prohibition against carrying firearms in township parks...

...Section 195-2(16)...is amended to read as follows: No person shall carry bows and arrows or other projectile devices within the park system unless authorized by Hatfield Township. This section shall not apply to firearms, the carrying and discharge of which are governed and regulated by state and federal law." (Emphasis added)

Counter to many accounts I've read here on PAFOA, I found the commissioners and other township representatives to be quite receptive to my complaint about the prohibition; this observation especially includes the chief of police, who was particularly supportive of my efforts.

The signs & website will certainly take a little while to update, and I'll be keeping my eye out for the corrections.

Good job. While I know the possession and carrying is covered by state preemption, it's been my understanding that discharge is allowed to be regulated on a local level, looks like you got a little bonus there.