Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lackawanna County)

Default Sheriffs ability to revoke LTCF permits

While researching the revocation of LTCF by county sheriffs in Pennsylvania, I came across the PSP Firearms Unit website.
    It contains a wealth of data and information.

http://www.psp.state.pa.us/psp/cwp/v...p?a=4&q=175983

I was studying the PDF's for county firearms permits and I came across a startling statistic. Philadelphia managed to revoke 3,025 of the 24,652 LTCFs that it issued over the last five years. That is more than 12 per cent. To me that seems like an astounding number. Last year alone (2006) Philadelphia issued 4,251 permits and revoked 744, a new record. What is going on in Philadelphia? Are there that many bad people in Philadelphia? Or is any interaction PPD going to result in revocation of a permit.

http://www.psp.state.pa.us/psp/lib/p...006_County.pdf

Have the Philadelphia Police Department taken the Uniform Firearms Code too literaly "§6109. Licenses (d) Sheriff to conduct investigation.-The sheriff to whom the application is made shall investigate the applicant's record of criminal convictions, shall investigate whether or not the applicant is under indictment for or has ever been convicted of a crime punishable by impris*onment exceeding one year, shall investigate whether the applicant's character and reputation are such that the applicant will not be likely to act in a manner dangerous to public safety and shall investigate whether the applicant would be precluded from receiving a license under subsection (e)(1) or section 6105(h) (relating to persons not to possess, use, manufacture, control, sell or transfer firearms) and shall conduct a criminal background, juvenile delin*quency or mental health check following the procedures set forth in section 6111 (relating to firearm ownership).

I think a twelve per cent revocation rate is insane. I have to wonder how much case law these revocations have generated. How many have been upheld on appeal, or even how many have bothered to appeal? Is this the way jurisdictions who are hostile towards Shall Issue,will subvert the law and our rights in Pennsylvania.

There are many among us who think gnbrotz's case will set a precedent. I hope the precedent has not already been set.

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: Sheriffs ability to revoke LTCF permits

This is a very good question and a real problem that needs addressed.

I do know that people are reportedly having their LTCF's revoked in Phila for things not revokable such as having a firearm stolen.

I'd love to hear some attorney input. What's the plan of attack here, lawsuit? Class action, pressure AG?

(York County)

LADIES & GENTLEMEN, I HAVE IN MY POSESSION" "THE PENNSYLVANIA SHERIFF"
    VOLUME 15, WINTER 2007
    PAGE 3. MAGAZINE EDITOR, BETH APPLEBY."VISIT OUR NEW WEBSITE AT:
    www.pasheriffs.org AND LET US KNOW WHAT YOU THINK ABOUT OUR SITE,
    POST COMMENTS ON OUR MAGAZINE, OR ANY QUESTIONS YOU MAY HAVE.
    PRESIDENT2007) SHERIFF THOMAS A. DEMKO, JEFFESON COUNTY
    SOLICITOR: THOMAS W. KING, III
    EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR: JAMES B. HAZEN
    MAYBE THIS IS A VENUE WE CAN USE TO OUR ADVANTAGE. I WOULD KEEP
    THE COMMUNICATION POLITE AND PROFESSIONAL. POINTING OUT THE
    VARIOUS DISPARITIES FROM ONE COUNTY TO ANOTHER. THIS VOLUME,
    #15, HAS EVERY SHERIFF LISTED FOR THE YEAR 2007.
    FUNDAMENTALS

"All that is needed for Evil to Prevail is for Good Men to
    do Nothing"

(Philadelphia County)

Philadelphia is also responsible for about 40% of all state-wide revocations each year.

http://www.pafoa.org/county/philadelphia/statistics
    Dan P, Founder & President, Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    Purchase a Forum SubscriptionBuy some PAFOA MerchandiseHelp PAFOA's Search Engine Ranking

(Philadelphia County)

This doesn't bode well for my future (1 year and 11 months away) right to carry.
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!” ~Samuel Adams

You cannot invade America. There is a rifle behind every blade of grass.” ~ Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto

(Philadelphia County)

Because of racial politics, Philadelphia will not address the real sources and causes of the violence plaguing our city, but has to look like it is trying to. Thus, it has blamed "guns" for the murder rate. Now, if Philadelphia is to have an even remotely plausible argument (as it defines "plausible") then it simply will not do to have 30,000+ LTCF-holders in the city/county who have committed no crimes whatsoever. This undercuts their assertion that "guns" are to blame, you see. No, they HAVE to get rid of as many of these licenses as they can and reduce the number by whatever means they possibly can get away with (e.g. revoking a license for having your gun stolen during a burglary). John Street has repeatedly said that there are too many LTCF in the city, but he has never stated why LTCFs are a problem. Several months ago, I (and several of you) attempted to find out the crime rate of Philly LTCF-holders - but the PPD tells us they don't have - or won't release - that information. Since it is literally unbelievable that if LTCF-holders were committing crimes, it would NOT be splashed all over the front page of the Philadelphia Inquirer/Daily News, it can reasonably be inferred that they have either an average or below-average crime rate. But, as I said, the management of the city MUST maintain the fiction that "guns" are bad - so they do everything in their power to reduce the number of LTCFs. They must - and will - fail.