Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default In a recent G&A mag the 1911 S&W E series is Offered..

In a recent G&A mag the 1911 S&W E series is Offered these guns have the external ejectors. I thought I read some negative input on this design. I also noticed that none of the Top Brand name 1911 makers use this design. has this been improved or did S&W make a mistake designing there 1911s this way?

Whats the positive and negative in this design?

My 3 1911s have the traditional internal ejector design, I haven't had any problems with the guns.

Default Re: In a recent G&A mag the 1911 S&W E series is Offered..

Sig 1911s use an external extractor and they work just fine.

(Lawrence County)

I think the external extractors can be tuned easier, but some guns had a lot of problems with reliability.

If you want an internal extractor with the benefits of the spring loaded external....buy an Aftec.

http://1911store.com/browseproducts/...Extractor.HTML

Lycanveryreliablethrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

It was only Kimber that couldn't get their external extractor to work consistently, so they abandoned the design. From what I've read JMB preferred the external design, as is evidenced by the Browning Hi Power, that was designed well after the 1911. I have read that the internal extractor found its way into the 1911 design due to poor ammo QC of the, then new, .45 ACP cartridge. I believe that it was Frankfort Arsenal that was having trouble maintaining proper case length in the production process. As a result, since the case headspaces on the mouth, the short cases were going too deep in the chamber for the external extractor to "grab", so the design was changed to the internal type.

There are pros & cons of both designs. One is not necessarily better than the other. It is more important how they are made and what they are made of, rather than the design type. Internals are easier to clean, but may require tuning and are more prone to breakage due to metal fatigue (all the flexing). Externals are simpler in the manufacturing process and don't need to be tuned. Harder to clean and more parts than an internal. Six of one, half dozen of the other. I have 1911 platforms using both designs and neither has failed me. Buy with confidence, the S&W 1911 is a good product - just wish they offered more calibers - would love to have that Enhanced 1911SC in .38 Super.

Adios,

Pizza Bob
    NRA Benefactor Member

(Allegheny County)

Thumbs up Re: In a recent G&A mag the 1911 S&W E series is Offered..

Having carried a S&W 1006 as a primary carry piece for 12 years, I can say, that if there's ONE company out there, that KNOWS what it's doing with an external extractor, it WOULD be S&W.

The 1006 is probably the finest semi-auto 10mm in existence; the fact that Norma & Hornady full-house loads don't faze it, speaks volumes about the strength and quality of their design. I have a Springer and 2 Kimbers with internal extractors, but my stainless S&W is my daily carry piece.

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
    Sig 1911s use an external extractor and they work just fine.
    Sig 1911s are great! the older ones had problems but i had the new stainless one for a while and it was a great gun never had one problem. I only traded it because i have a sickness with trading guns. But the trigger was prolly the nicest i have felt on a production 1911. And ive owned everything from kimbers colts and even a les baer premier II. I traded the baer only because i wanted something with combat sights instead of target and because like i said i have a sickness.

I've heard some good things about the Sig and the S&W some say two of the best sub $1100 1911s one can buy. How do they compare to STi?

i was wondering why none of the top 1911 makers have not tried to produce at least one variant with the external extractor. My Kimber has an internal extractor when did Kimber make there guns with the external and for how long.

One of the benefits in the article for the external design was that it didn't beat up the brass as bad. Whats is your opinion on that?

I figure as long as it doesn't beat/dent up the brass like H&Ks use to I'm good.