Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Cumberland County)

Default Pretty Much Solved My Slide Lock Problem, I'm Still Pissed

While doing some reading I found this on TFL

The big problem I have is the slide stop. On both my MK40 (bought lightly used) and K40(NIB) the slide stop will engage the cone of the bullet next up in the mag which causes the slide to prematurely lock back. On my MK I carefully stoned away at the offending tab until the malfunction stopped. The slide still locks on empty. With the K40 I have reached the point where it won't lock open empty but still prematurely locks about 2 per 50. Simply put I think that the front of the mag needs a squarer profile so that the follower can stick out further to the side than the bullet does. I think the design worked well in 9mm but the .40 has truncated cone bullets that are nearly straight wall cylinders. I have now elected to make my K40 a completely reliable shooter that does not lock open at all when empty. I'll buy a new stop and try again maybe, but only after I talk to Kahr about this unpleasantness. Tried 135 to 180 loads, different shooters, it's the gun.
    I've been having this issue with my K40 Covert. Tomorrow I'm going to shoot it, to see if I'm the problem. If not, I'll be calling Kahr.
    Last edited by rwb1500; February 22nd, 2011 at 02:50 PM.
    Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

(Cumberland County)

Default Re: Pretty Much Solved My Slide Lock Problem, I'm Still Pissed

Well I had the opportunity to shoot the gun again today. I'm definitely not bumping the slide stop. It appears that when I use the extended mags (only ones that came with the gun, no flush 5 round mags) gripping the bottom of the mag causes the top round in the mag to bump the slide stop pin. If I use 2 fingers to grip the gun it works great. I guess I need to get some flush mags.

I'm still not happy about it. A gun of this quality should work. It's not a Kel Tec, I didn't buy it so I could do my own gunsmithing. I'm pissed. You may well see this gun in the classifieds sometime soon. Evidently it's a pretty rare piece, and the 3 guys on Kahr Talk creamed their jeans over it.

I'm not impressed Kahr. Evidently on Kahr Talk you're not allowed to talk badly about Kahrs... I'm gonna go get myself a permaban...

PS, this little thing beats the absolute hell out of your hand. And that's coming from a guy who thinks his Glock 27 is mild mannered...

My hand is still a little raw an hour later.

(Centre County)

Send that shit back until it's right and you are happy!

End thread. (Sorry about your hand)
    Last edited by FLICK; February 22nd, 2011 at 05:30 PM.
    I don't watch shark week. Sharks watch FLICK week.

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by FLICK View Post
    Send that shit back until it's right and you are happy!

End thread. (Sorry about your hand)
    Its not new. So he can't send it back for warrenty, as I'm almost sure its out of its 5 year warrenty.
    K40covert is really rare gun. I've personaly never seen one.
    I read your thread over at Kahr talk, and sound like fix is quick and simple one(buy new mag or file the follower).
    Both of my Kahr's are simply a joy to own(although my T-9 needed a new barrel, and tweek the rear sight)
    Audemus jura nostra defendere

(Centre County)

I actually remembered the used part (for a change). I guess what I'm trying to say is; it's a rare(ish) peice, if you like it- get it fixed. Probably worth the coin to have kahr fix it up right. If it's a total pain to shoot and your probably not going to keep it, ditch it. Life's too short, you know????

Personally, try new mags, try the stoning. If it dosen't work, Mity2 will buy it!!
    Last edited by FLICK; February 22nd, 2011 at 06:33 PM.

(Monroe County)

I actually remembered the used part (for a change). I guess what I'm trying to say is; it's a rare peice, if you like it- get it fixed. Probably worth the coin to have kahr fix it up right. If it's a total pain to shoot and your probably not going to keep it, ditch it. Life's too short, you know????

Personally, try new mags, try the stoning. If it dosen't work, Mity2 will buy it!!
    I wouldn't say it's THAT rare. I've seen them go for anywhere from $425.00 to $650.00 used depending on condition, and the one for $650. was high polish with wood grips.

(Bucks County)

call Kahr and see what they will do for you, while the gun may be out of warrenty that doesn't mean Kahr won't step up to the plate and fix the gun.

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by CHEMICAL View Post
    I wouldn't say it's THAT rare. I've seen them go for anywhere from $425.00 to $650.00 used depending on condition, and the one for $650. was high polish with wood grips.
    Fixed it for ya, CHEMICAL.....

(Monroe County)

Fixed it for ya, CHEMICAL.....
    Hahaha it took me a while to figure out what you fixed. Thought you meant something I typed....

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by CHEMICAL View Post
    The polished, wood gripped model is a custom job, they can't be had factory like that, at least, not the K40 Covert. Other models come in the Elite line. I'd actually considered putting wood on it, but the mirror look isn't for me.

Quote Originally Posted by wellcraft View Post
    call Kahr and see what they will do for you, while the gun may be out of warrenty that doesn't mean Kahr won't step up to the plate and fix the gun.
    This I will do, on the morrow. I meant to do it today and didn't get around to it.

I guess I'm just disappointed. People rave about how the upper end Kahrs are built like Swiss watches. There is nothing Swiss watch-like about this gun. I should have just ordered a CW9 like I had originally wanted and had money left over for holsters and mags.

Fuck it. I'm going back to Glocks

I'm going to give this thing a chance, we'll see what happens.

Mity, your guns are beautiful, I'm jealous.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast