Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lancaster County)

Default Ruger GP100......whats the best grip?

A few years ago, when the GP100 still came with the rubber with wood insert, I sold the original grip and replaced it with a Hogue. I guess I just wanted to be different. Now they come with the Hogue which I never really liked anyway so I replaced it with a Pachmayer. Its a little thin for my liking. Does anyone have any other suggestions before I buy an original rubber grip with wood inserts again? Also any opinions are appreciated. Thanks, Brian

(Monroe County)

Default Re: Ruger GP100......whats the best grip?

I had a Hogue Monogrip on my Model 29 and didn't care for it.

Just fitted a Pachmayer Gripper Decelerator and I love it. I have short fingers and the 29 used to rock back brusing my middle finger with the trigger guard. The little extra at the back of the guard really helps with this.

Even the wife likes the feel and wants to try some Cowboy loads with it.

(Centre County)

It's really about how it feels to your hand. If it doesn't feel right you will forever be readjusting your grip to try to make it feel good. This results in a non standard grip and you'll probably never shoot the gun up to its and your potential. I happen to like the Hogue rubber finger groove grips, it places the gun in the same position each time I unholster and I don't have to move the gun around to get a comfortable grip. Other people like the Hogue wood grips, to me some of them a a bit "fat" in the palm area and I don't get a good feel in my hand. Others like the standard Pachmayr grips, others the Gripper or decelerator models. Others like the old style standard grips that came on the GP100's in the past.

There are other custom grip makers that you can seek out. Here's one that comes to mind: www.badgercustomgrips.com Also, IIRC there are some that can make them specifically for your hand.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

I have the Hogue grips and love them, they're on both of my Ruger revolvers.
    I have really big hands and need the extra realestate for a steady grip. I'm keeping the original grips for if I ever sell them

(Dauphin County)

My GP100 came with the Hogue grip. It was okay, a bit thick for my stubby fingers. I bought the old-school grip-with-insert and the grip is better, for me. Even though the inserts stick out a bit from the rubber part of the grip, I have not noticed any loss of control. I'd like to hear more about Pachmayr, how they compare to these other two.
    -gonzo, SoCenPA. "Before all else, be armed." --Niccolo Machiavelli
    http://forum.pafoa.org/feedback-109/...nzogeezer.html