Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: P7M13 Riddle...

(Montgomery County)

Default P7M13 Riddle...

I posted this over on the Cult also, but that site has slowed down a LOT. So I figured I would ask for conjecture here, as there are more than a handful of P7 enthusiasts on this fine forum:

The shop had written on the sales tag that it was "Ordered specially for the German Armed Services - HK Factory threaded barrel - Ready for Silencer!"

But anyway, here were the features:

(1) KF Date Code
    (2) Trussville Import (inconsistent w/ (1)
    (3) Matching serials on slide & frame (not a replacement slide)
    (4) Definitely appeared to be a factory HK threaded barrel that extended about 1.5" from the muzzle
    (5) Plumb-ish tint to the slide, but no marks ground off, no gov't markings - Looked like a straight U.S. commercial model...
    (6) Rear sight consistent w/ KF or newer date code - No screw in the top...

I forget what else, but I will likely recall as I ponder it more.

They had a twist tie holding the slide and frame closed/together, plus it was marked at $3,000, so I really was not inclined to ask to look at it, but I must admit that it intrigued me. It was completely NIB, mint, but I did not ask to see any "letters of documentation" or anything like that.

So, WTF does this place have F/S...

Regards,

Bones

(Bucks County)

Default Re: P7M13 Riddle...

are you looking to buy one???? if so a month or so ago i saw a p7m13 w/chome finish at abington gun sports for around 1300. you might also ask this question over at www.hkpro.com to see if anyone there can shed some light on the gun. in my opinion 3 grand is overpriced and who cares who it might or might not have been special ordered for.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by wellcraft View Post
    are you looking to buy one???? if so a month or so ago i saw a p7m13 w/chome finish at abington gun sports for around 1300. you might also ask this question over at www.hkpro.com to see if anyone there can shed some light on the gun. in my opinion 3 grand is overpriced and who cares who it might or might not have been special ordered for.
    No, not looking to buy any more P7's - I simply saw this M13 that doesn't add up, in terms of the date code, importation location, and claimed story behind it (I find it hard to believe that German Army would be special-ordering suppressor-ready M13's as late as 1995).

And yes, I agree that $3k is WAY overpriced for any M13 aside from some kind of documented XM-9 Trial pistol or T&E-marked specimen.

Thanks for the reply.

Regards,

Bones

(Centre County)

+1.5" seems to long for a factory threaded barrel. I'd pull the slide off and look for the proof stamp to see if its the same.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by RandomTask View Post
    +1.5" seems to long for a factory threaded barrel. I'd pull the slide off and look for the proof stamp to see if its the same.
    Right, I thought of that (checking for the Ulm antler, nitro proof mark, and possible date code, if it was a factory HK barrel that was added after initial pistol assembly), but unfortunately, they had a zip-tie snugged up around the ejection port, preventing any racking of the slide/inspection of the barrel/field stripping/etc...

I should probably admit that I secretly want this gun, mostly b/c of the mismatched date code and import stamp - But $3k? Too rich for my blood...

Regards,

Bones

(Montgomery County)

So I think I found an explanation.

It looks like this is indeed a genuine P7M13SD, based on these pics and the identical date code (and absence of any import mark) found on this specimen, about 3/4 down the page:

http://www.cybershooters.org/dgca/h&k_p7.htm

So I suppose that in 1995, a batch of P7M13SD's was manufactured, assembled, and proofed in Germany, but were not exported to the U.S until some time in the mid-2000's, hence the Trussville, AL import location.

I also found a post dated around Jan. of 2010, IIRC, from some guy on a Ford Mustang forum, where he posts (brags about) an identical pistol that he snagged, right down to the style of extended/threaded barrel, KF date code, and Trussville import mark...

According to that guy on the Mustang forum, HK-USA only imported 35 of them into the U.S. I kinda doubt that figure, but nonetheless, I would have to say that they are likely exceedingly uncommon, and to a collector, perhaps $3k is not out of line?

I found it interesting anyhow...

Regards,

Bones
    Last edited by JoeyBones; February 21st, 2011 at 02:42 PM. Reason: typo

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by JoeyBones View Post
    So I think I found an explanation.

It looks like this is indeed a genuine P7M13SD, based on these pics and the identical date code (and absence of any import mark) found on this specimen, about 3/4 down the page:

http://www.cybershooters.org/dgca/h&k_p7.htm

So I suppose that in 1995, a batch of P7M13SD's was manufactured, assembled, and proofed in Germany, but were not exported to the U.S until some time in the mid-2000's, hence the Trussville, AL import location.

I also found a post dated around Jan. of 2010, IIRC, from some guy on a Ford Mustang forum, where he posts (brags about) an identical pistol that he snagged, right down to the style of extended/threaded barrel, KF date code, and Trussville import mark...

According to that guy on the Mustang forum, HK-USA only imported 35 of them into the U.S. I kinda doubt that figure, but nonetheless, I would have to say that they are likely exceedingly uncommon, and to a collector, perhaps $3k is not out of line?

I found it interesting anyhow...

Regards,

Bones
    Very interesting, but the internet wisdom snippets that I've heard is that despite the positives of the fixed barrel for the application, there might be some downsides with the suppressor/gas retarded blowback combo.

I think my heart died a little reading about deactivated P7s (link was to the Deactivated Gun Collector's Association).
    Keep perspective, recognize the good in your enemies and the bad in your friends.
    "--you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is kill him." - Robert A. Heinlein, Revolt in 2100

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by -JD- View Post
    Very interesting, but the internet wisdom snippets that I've heard is that despite the positives of the fixed barrel for the application, there might be some downsides with the suppressor/gas retarded blowback combo.

I think my heart died a little reading about deactivated P7s (link was to the Deactivated Gun Collector's Association).
    Yup, I have read similar reports about massive blow-back in shooter's face, inefficient suppression, etc. w/ the P7 as a suppressor host. But I would only want this M13 b/c of the fact that how many people can say they have an HK P7M13SD!

But I don't want it bad enough to pay $3k for it, only to have it languish in the safe... Not nearly that bad...

Oh and I was also crushed reading about those "deactivated" P7's... A "special" place in Hell exists for whoever was ultimately responsible for destroying those guns

Regards,

Bones

(Centre County)

Yup... on the Cult, many have said that the P7 doesn't suppress well at all. That's why I sold my threaded barrel.
    Anyway, there's no way I'd pay 3 grand for that gun. You're basically paying an extra $1,500 for a threaded barrel because nothing else about that gun is special. You can buy a factory threaded barrel for $200 or less and pay a smith to install it cheap. I'd pick up a K3, a NOS Nickel M10 or even a "Jube" M8 before I bought that M13.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by JoeyBones View Post
    [snip]Oh and I was also crushed reading about those "deactivated" P7's... A "special" place in Hell exists for whoever was ultimately responsible for destroying those guns [snip]
    Kind of like trophy hunting endangered species ...

Let me suggest that you not delve too deeply into exactly what they mean by deactivation - requires a strong stomach.
    Keep perspective, recognize the good in your enemies and the bad in your friends.
    "--you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is kill him." - Robert A. Heinlein, Revolt in 2100

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast