Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Blair County)

Default Best .357 revolver on a budget?

Looking to buy a revolver, mainly for range use and because I'd just plain like to own one. Was thinking about a .357, but would like to keep the cost around $600 if possible. I hear S&W makes some really good ones, and Taurus are fairly cheap but I dunno about the reliability. Also, .38sp can be shot with a .357, correct? Size isn't much of an issue as I doubt I'd CC it.

(Cumberland County)

Default Re: Best .357 revolver on a budget?

maybe check out Dan Wesson also. I'd take one of them over a taurus any day.

Smith and Wesson would be my first pick ("686+" model for 7 round capacity) though given your budget of $600

I personally am not a fan of Ruger, but I have heard good things about the GP-100.

(Dauphin County)

i just bought a Taurus model 66 6 inch. i couldn't be happier for the $400 i spent. 7 round wheel ans surprisingly accurate...

I just bought an older Taurus before they put the key locks on them. I paid $300 and I'm very happy.

The Taurus is a good low budget option, but don't expect to get much in resale value..

Also, as a side tip, stay away from the stainless. It just gets really dirty after you shoot it.

(Allegheny County)

Thumbs up Re: Best .357 revolver on a budget?

I've never had an issue with my Taurus 605's. Great little pocket pistols I can literally - carry in a pocket - in my shorts in the summertime. Perfect for when you have to run to the store quickly, and don't feel like strapping into a 1911 and putting a suit on to conceal it.

(Dauphin County)

I recently bought a New Ruger GP100, 4" stainless, under $550. I looked at S&W and Taurus but for me the look, feel, design, and fit & finish of the Ruger was superior to the Taurus. Plus I felt those Taurus barrel ports add noise, flash, and more stuff to clean. The S&W is a better gun than the Ruger, but not better than the price difference suggests. Trigger is nicer out of the box, but my Ruger is getting better every time I take it to the range. I also think the Ruger design (no side plate) is stronger than the other two.

All three are well-made guns and should give years of dependable service. Part of the fun of picking yours is having so many choices to consider! Good Luck.
    -gonzo, SoCenPA. "Before all else, be armed." --Niccolo Machiavelli
    http://forum.pafoa.org/feedback-109/...nzogeezer.html

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by jachrist View Post
    maybe check out Dan Wesson also. I'd take one of them over a taurus any day.

Smith and Wesson would be my first pick ("686+" model for 7 round capacity) though given your budget of $600

This. You can get a used 686 for cheap too. I saw one in the classifieds for $ 450.
    Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

(Blair County)

Just did a quick search at east coast, and it seems the Taurus is definitely the cheapest option. They have a 4" blued model 66 for $375. They also have a stainless S&W 686 for $681. I like the looks of the Taurus. Might have to go check it out. They also have a Ruger G100 in .327 Fed Mag for $520, but no .357. I'll check Campbell's and East Coast here soon, look at a few models.

Also, no one really answered this, but can you use .38 special in a .357 mag? I thought I read you could, and that would make range shooting a little more comfortable over the long haul.

Quote Originally Posted by medsteele View Post
    Just did a quick search at east coast, and it seems the Taurus is definitely the cheapest option. They have a 4" blued model 66 for $375. They also have a stainless S&W 686 for $681. I like the looks of the Taurus. Might have to go check it out. They also have a Ruger G100 in .327 Fed Mag for $520, but no .357. I'll check Campbell's and East Coast here soon, look at a few models.

Also, no one really answered this, but can you use .38 special in a .357 mag? I thought I read you could, and that would make range shooting a little more comfortable over the long haul.
    Yes, you can use .38spl in a .357 mag chambered firearm, just not the other way around.

I'd take a look at the Ruger SP101. The 2.5" barrel is great for a heavier pocket carry, where the 4" is pretty nice for the range. Great fit/finish on the firearm.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by medsteele View Post
    Yes, I shoot 38 specials out of my 357's all the time. You just have to clean out the carbon ring from shooting 38's.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast