Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    (Monroe County)

Default Re: Best .357 revolver on a budget?

here's my .02cents:

Full disclosure. I like S&W revolvers. I own 5 of them.

The company backs their product. Their triggers are smooth as glass. My preference would be for an older model a, "six shooter", because that is what a revolver is to me. I am old school.

You could pick up an old model 19 for a little more than half of what you say you have to spend and then by a shit load of ammo!...or buy two hahaha! For carry get a 4 inch. If the gun is strictly for target shooting get a 6 inch. I am not big on the newer models with the stupid trigger lock but the one that I have I never use it anyway.

Ruger would be a second choice but I am not thrilled with their triggers...too heavy and stiff. I have shot and heard good things about the GP-100.

Yes, you can shoot .38special loads in a .357 magnum revolver but not the other way around. I would not touch a Taurus if you plan on shooting magnum loads. The gun will eventually rattle apart.

(Montgomery County)

I second what "Twoguns" has said. I have more than 5 S&W 0.357s, all 6 guns as I too am old-fashioned. If you go to the classifieds in the Smith and Wesson Forum, you will find second hand Model 27s, 28s (N frame guns), second hand 58X-68X (where X can be 1 or 6 and the guns are L frame) depending upon type of finish and then Model 15s or 19s. The latter two are K frame guns and should only be used with mid-range 0.357s, none of the 110-125 grain "hot loads". As I said above I have almost all of these and in 4 and 6 inch barrels. Check the stickies on both the PAFOA and the S&W sites on buying a 2nd hand revolver. You will be very pleasantly surprised by the fit and finish of the pre 1985 or so S&Ws, plus they are broken in and usually have superb SA triggers, and some DA triggers as well if worked on. Forget Taurus but consider a full size (4-6 inch) Ruger. Dave_n

(Montgomery County)

$600?

That's a pretty big "budget."

I was thinking "under $300."

Looky here:

http://forum.pafoa.org/firearms-6/12...ag-6-shot.html
    Last edited by Yentl Marmelstein; February 21st, 2011 at 11:56 AM.

(Montgomery County)

Question Re: Best .357 revolver on a budget?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave_n View Post
    Forget Taurus....
    Why?

I've owned several and have had only good experiences.

(Chester County)

I love my 4" 686 for sure
    Hoplophobia is funny

(Lawrence County)

6" Ruger GP100 for way under $600... Its a great range gun and also my carry gun... Little bit faster and a little bit more accurate is always a little bit better... lol

-Chaz
    I like guns... And boobs...

(Montgomery County)

Question Re: Best .357 revolver on a budget?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave_n View Post
    If you go to the classifieds in the Smith and Wesson Forum, you will find second hand Model 27s, 28s (N frame guns), second hand 58X-68X (where X can be 1 or 6 and the guns are L frame) depending upon type of finish and then Model 15s or 19s.
    Do you have a link to an S&W forum with good classified ads?

Been looking for a deal on an N frame.

Thanks.

(Montgomery County)

Google "Smith and Wesson Forum". Then enter as a guest, or simply do as I did many years ago, join it and then hit the "classified" section. No cost to join and a very large amount of extremely good information. (www.smith-wessonforum.com)

A current example. I purchased a second-hand M41 in beautiful condition a couple of months ago and was looking for a contemporary (this is a 1970s pistol) 7" barrel. One posting, received reply and purchased an excellent 2nd hand barrel from a fellow M41 lover! Needed a slight adjustment to fit correctly, my gunsmith did the necessary filing down in under 24 hours at a very reasonable cost. The selection of S&Ws and a few other weapons in their classified forum is excellent, and the prices are reasonable as well.

On the Taurus quote, their QC is "hit or miss". Can have excellent luck or be just like "flash" and his saga of a Taurus revolver and their customer service. Dave_n

Quote Originally Posted by Chazman321 View Post
    6" Ruger GP100 for way under $600... Its a great range gun and also my carry gun... Little bit faster and a little bit more accurate is always a little bit better... lol

-Chaz
    +1 on the GP-100. Not the most elegant or the best trigger (that can be fixed), but it's a workhorse and probably the toughest .357 out there. If you primarily want a range gun that you will enjoy shooting for hours and have no intent to conceal, I'd steer clear of smaller guns.

(Centre County)

I'd go for a 4" GP100, very good all around gun, tough as all get out. The trigger pull, and let off is very easy to smooth up and you can get spring kits to lighten the pull. It is extremely easy to take apart and put back together. If you opt for a used .357, look at the Ruger Security Six series guns. They were the precursor to the GP100's and they are also very strong and reliable guns. The prices can be had in the $300-$400 range depending on the model and barrel length.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast