Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unhappy New to this forum needs help deciding!!

I've been reading this forum for months, and I've read some awesome advice and learned a lot here. I thought I'd give it a try.

I'm try to decide between another S&W 617 4" revolver or a Ruger MKIII, SS,
    5.5 bbl pistol.

I owned a MKIII 22/45, 512 and it was a jam-o-matic, dumped it. I also have 2 Buckmark campers, 4" and 5.5" and these things USED to digest any ammo fed to them but they are becoming jam-o-matics too in spite being cleaned regularly . I'm starting to lose faith in semi-auto .22's.

Your input/advice is greatly appreciated!!??

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: New to this forum needs help deciding!!

Quote Originally Posted by gjdtruck View Post
    I've been reading this forum for months, and I've read some awesome advice and learned a lot here. I thought I'd give it a try.

5.5 bbl pistol.

I owned a MKIII 22/45, 512 and it was a jam-o-matic, dumped it. I also have 2 Buckmark campers, 4" and 5.5" and these things USED to digest any ammo fed to them but they are becoming jam-o-matics too in spite being cleaned regularly . I'm starting to lose faith in semi-auto .22's.

How many rounds have been through your Buckmarks? It might be time to have the springs replaced.

The 4" has less than 1,000(3 monts old) and the 5" has @ 2,500 and I've tried several different magazines (6) and still have FTE and FTF.

(York County)

Have you lubed them well too? This time of year on a .22, just using a good oil works wonders.

I just tried Slipstream Weapon Lube from Crusader Arms, and I think I've found a new favorite lube. My P22 works better than it's ever worked, and the .22 conversion kit (For the P220) that wasn't all that reliable is now perfect!
    Last edited by Don T.; February 21st, 2011 at 12:03 AM.

(Monroe County)

Try replacing the mainsprings on both the Ruger and the Buckmarks and your problems maybe solved , .

Nyman

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by gjdtruck View Post

5.5 bbl pistol.

you're the first person i've ever heard of that had issues with the MKIII and browning buckmark. what type of ammo were you using????

My Buckmark is at around 10-12k rounds all original parts and no problems. Is it a feed or an eject problem? Could be mag related or possibly something wrong with the extractor. Most quality guns that have issues are due to bad mags.
    Any vote for a third party is a vote for a Democrat. You are the enemy.

Quote Originally Posted by wellcraft View Post
    you're the first person i've ever heard of that had issues with the MKIII and browning buckmark. what type of ammo were you using????
    Yah, I wonder that too. A few weekends ago I went shooting with a friend, and his Ruger Mark II was eating anything we were feeding it, even a brick of Winchester white box that he had left in the trunk of his car for about 4 months.
    Those who beat their swords into plowshares usually end up plowing for those who didn't.

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by wellcraft View Post
    My 22/45 was jam-o-matic too.
    round kept jammed up against its sharp edge of feed ramp. Kept destrying the round.

As round is pushed up by magazine spring, its not pushing up the tip of bullitt enough or something like that.
    Of 10rds, first round got hung up almost 100% of times. clear that, rest usually goes okay.
    But first round just did not work.

I tried several different magazine, which did not fix the probrem.
    I sent it back to Ruger X2. Each time, they sent it back with new magazins, yet first round still did not load.

I traded the gun(with 6 magazines!) for Walther P-22.
    (Infact, I have had a some bad luck with .22RL semiauto pistols in the bigginig.
    The P-22, which I got after wrote off the 22/45 as junk, while was a great little plinker, started to become Jam-o-matic itself after 3000 rounds or so. Traded it towords Mosquito. They recommended to use MiniMag, but mine liked Velocitor. Again, after several thousand rounds, it started to failed to return to battery. With stronger recoil spring, it would chamber a round fine, but would fail to eject. With weaker recoil spring, it would eject fine, but failed to chamber a round.
    Everyone told me to get Ruger Mk seriese, so I did. bought Ruger MkIII Hunter with 6.88" barrel. Gun functioned fine, but it shot about 12" low at 25yds, and I was unable to bring POI to POA as I ran out of adjustment on rear sight. So off to new owner, it went.
    After that, I went few months without .22LR semiauto.
    Then I dicided to try the Ruger again. So this time, I bought cheap, 4" skinny barreled MkIII SS model(I was NOT going to spend another $400+ on bull barreled Ruger).
    And finaly, this SS 4" skinny barreled MKIII was the winner. I can hit a golfball at 25yds, its dependable, and its pretty much 100% from day one.

Sorry for going off topic here.
    Last edited by Mity2; February 21st, 2011 at 04:51 PM.
    Audemus jura nostra defendere

(York County)

Picked up a used SIG Mosquito ($250) the other day, shot it a little yesterday, but really put it through its paces today. +1 on the lube, I gave it quite a bit of Hoppes gun oil last night, and today it was much better. It digested Federal Spitfire (31grain @1500fps) but had a lot of short cycles, especially on the second round. Switched to Remington Thunderbolt and "voila!" it shot like a champ (did have one dud, wouldn't fire out of my CZ 452 or my High Standard Model A)

I say, give the little SIG a chance!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast