Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Tioga County)

Default Ammo purchase in NYS

I went to Walmart in NY to purchase .38 and 9mm ammo. They now have a new policy. You must show your pistol permit to buy pistol ammo. So I showed my PA CC permit. No problem but then my father in-law needed ammo for his gun. He did not have a permit. So I told the manager I would buy the box for him...Nope, no can do. If you buy ammo for another person don't tell them its not for you. Or they won't sell it to you. So my wife stepped forward and said I have a PA CC permit and I want a box. So she bought it and gave it to my father in-law after we left the store. So how dumb is there new policy? Needless to say my father in-law has now applied for his CC permit in PA.

(Monroe County)

Default Re: Ammo purchase in NYS

Quote Originally Posted by technoid View Post
    I went to Walmart in NY to purchase .38 and 9mm ammo. They now have a new policy. You must show your pistol permit to buy pistol ammo. So I showed my PA CC permit. No problem but then my father in-law needed ammo for his gun. He did not have a permit. So I told the manager I would buy the box for him...Nope, no can do. If you buy ammo for another person don't tell them its not for you. Or they won't sell it to you. So my wife stepped forward and said I have a PA CC permit and I want a box. So she bought it and gave it to my father in-law after we left the store. So how dumb is there new policy? Needless to say my father in-law has now applied for his CC permit in PA.
    I hate to tell you this but that has been a state law for over twenty years! I remember that back when I was living on Long Island hanging out in the gun shops. The shop owners did say that if you tell them the ammo is for a rifle/carbine they have to sell it to you. Other than that in NY if you want pistol caliber ammo you must show your pistol license.

(Washington County)

Ya, that isn't new knews. I always tell them 45ACP is for my 1919 Thompson haha!
    In America arms are free merchandise such that anyone who has the capital may make their houses into armories and their gardens into parks of artillery. - Ira Allen, 1796

(Philadelphia County)

Some stores in PA ask for ID that's about it. Many of them do not however.
    You Can Take My Gun When You Pry it From My Dead, Cold, Hand !

(Tioga County)

Quote Originally Posted by Kramer View Post
    I hate to tell you this but that has been a state law for over twenty years! I remember that back when I was living on Long Island hanging out in the gun shops. The shop owners did say that if you tell them the ammo is for a rifle/carbine they have to sell it to you. Other than that in NY if you want pistol caliber ammo you must show your pistol license.
    Well I guess Walmart in Painted post did'nt get the news till last week. Because I bought pistol ammo from that store for almost a year. And until now no questions were asked.