Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Pike County)

Post Wondering about NRA pistol/ rifle instructor qualifications

Im wondering about the qualifications for the NRA pistol/rifle. Im in the marine corps right now as a combat marksmanship instructor and ive been doing it for about 9 months now and i love it. And i was wondering when i get out how do i go and get certified for the NRA instructor course. Do they have requirments?

(Monroe County)

Default Re: Wondering about NRA pistol/ rifle instructor qualifications

I am certified as an NRA RSO and Pistol Instructor.

My recommendation: save your money and time. I think you would be bored out out of your skull.

I find NRA courses to be redundant, dumb-ed down to the lowest common denominator (open book test so everyone can pass and thereby NRA gets more money) and full of NRA marketing B.S.

Don't get me wrong, in terms of safety they have set a very good standard in all of the disciplines. But dollar for dollar I think there are better courses to take for greater learning experience. Going to a nationally recognized instructor like Hackathorn, Ayoob, Givens, Smith or any number of others would be a far better use of your time and money.

Of course, if you are looking for those particular credentials then go for it.

I am now going to put on my flame retardant suit so all those who love the NRA can trash what I have said.

For the record, I told the NRA to cancel my life membership back in 2003 due to their failure to respond to several important inquiries I made and due to their continued waffling on the issues. It is my opinion that there are other organizations that will honestly fight for your RTKBA. Like GOA and JPFO.

(Luzerne County)

Say what you want about the NRA, but they are still the most widely recognized basic instruction school. Check their website to find out more about what is required.

The NRA teaches the basic stuff, and if that bores you, then you can move on to more "tactically cool" places of instruction.

Shooters, like people.....need to learn how to walk before they can run. The NRA teaches the basics and its a good place to start. No one ever said they are the end all, be all for training. The instructor classes are more about being able to teach and pass on the knowledge. They are NOT "shooting schools".

I have NRA LEO certifications (handgun, shotgun, patrol rifle and tactical shooting instructor). I also belong to the IALEFI and have received instruction from people associtated with Sig, Glock, S&W, etc. Start with the NRA, then seek out more training if you are so inclined.

Quote Originally Posted by robbiez321 View Post
    Im wondering about the qualifications for the NRA pistol/rifle. Im in the marine corps right now as a combat marksmanship instructor and ive been doing it for about 9 months now and i love it. And i was wondering when i get out how do i go and get certified for the NRA instructor course. Do they have requirments?
    They don't have any requirements. Anyone can be an instructor as long as you pass the test. You can literally never shoot a gun and be NRA certified. It's basically just to show people how to be safe. I think the title is very misleading to new shooters. It's like expecting a Navy Seal and getting a mall cop instead. They really need to add some kind of marksmanship standards to the class and it would be more respected. It does look good on a resume and will help starting career as a firearms instructor.
    Any vote for a third party is a vote for a Democrat. You are the enemy.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Yoder View Post
    They don't have any requirements. Anyone can be an instructor as long as you pass the test. You can literally never shoot a gun and be NRA certified. It's basically just to show people how to be safe. I think the title is very misleading to new shooters. It's like expecting a Navy Seal and getting a mall cop instead. They really need to add some kind of marksmanship standards to the class and it would be more respected. It does look good on a resume and will help starting career as a firearms instructor.

Not _quite_ true, at least as far as an honorable NRA Training counselor will apply and recommend for appointment as an instructor.

NRA has sent letters to existing trainers that it is searching for "gun people" to become instructors. They want folks who know what they are doing. And the "pre-course qualification" that is required of instructor candidates (per the NRA TC manual appendix) specifies the MINIMUM of the following:

1) Demonstration of safe gun handling (before instructor training), including loading, unloading, and malfunction clearance <fail to fire, double feed for most disciplines>

2) Pass a knowledge exam (the exit student exam for the discipline in question) at 90% or better.

3) Demonstrate minimum competence in life fire
    eg: hit a 6" target at (?) 7 yards from a bench rest AND two handed standing position (pistol) OR hit a (?)4.5 inch target at 25 yards with an OPEN sight rigle with ten rounds from each of the bench rest, prone, and off-hand positions OR hit 13 of 25 clay targets in a trap (or similar in skeet) for shotgun. (? are that I don't feel like looking up the criteria right now..and am recalling from the sequence I ran a couple of weeks ago)

While I look for folks with gun expertise, I have taken individuals with interest and good attitude, and have run them through the programs (often enough making them take the student course first to gain the competence before they become an instructor candidate) and have turned out folks capable of teaching the safety component and the marksmanship BASICS.

NRA teaches the BASICS of marksmanship and an emphasis on safety.
    Each graduate is given (per policy) the "winchester Marksmanship Qualification Program" handbook, with drills to be completed in a graduated program for future skill developement.

It IS possible to pass an NRA BASIC course with a good knowledge base (you know, knowing where to find information is often even more important than what you remember in your head) a demonstrated SAFE ATTITUDE, and the skill to manipulate teh gun, but need work on marksmanship. The student doesn't get the "Basic Practical Rocker" unless they shoot, at 15 feet, a basic group on an 8.5 x 11 inch paper.

Not everyone can become an Expert in an 8 or 14 hour course, but they can get the basics with to practice.

Even when I taught Appleseed, with a Rifleman's Badge requiring a 4 MOA performance over 40 rounds on targets sized to represent 100 through 400 meters from prone sitting and offhand within a time limit, it was useful for the folks that didn't gain the badge to have the training. Many of these folks were motivated to work HARD at hitting the Rifleman standard.

I became an instructor after a bad experience in a very well known trainer's "beginner" course. I found the NRA Basic Course gave me the skills I had to work on to take advantage of the "high impact" courses.

I stopped teaching Appleseed due to a committment issue, but also found I've touched more lives via NRA than ever through the other programs.

it is with Pride that I see students move from a basic understanding, to becomming a true 'armed citizen' and taken advantage of many training experiences. Some become instructors for Boy Scouts or other "newbies".

We all have a function to play in intriducing safe firearms handling.

Pacer

NRA Training Councelor (all lay disciplines) 4 years.

(Pike County)

Quote Originally Posted by twoguns View Post
    I am certified as an NRA RSO and Pistol Instructor.

My recommendation: save your money and time. I think you would be bored out out of your skull.

I find NRA courses to be redundant, dumb-ed down to the lowest common denominator (open book test so everyone can pass and thereby NRA gets more money) and full of NRA marketing B.S.

Don't get me wrong, in terms of safety they have set a very good standard in all of the disciplines. But dollar for dollar I think there are better courses to take for greater learning experience. Going to a nationally recognized instructor like Hackathorn, Ayoob, Givens, Smith or any number of others would be a far better use of your time and money.

Of course, if you are looking for those particular credentials then go for it.

I am now going to put on my flame retardant suit so all those who love the NRA can trash what I have said.

For the record, I told the NRA to cancel my life membership back in 2003 due to their failure to respond to several important inquiries I made and due to their continued waffling on the issues. It is my opinion that there are other organizations that will honestly fight for your RTKBA. Like GOA and JPFO.
    I just want to say one thing. I can understand you canceling your life membership, I hope they gave you a refund. Sadly, you were probably coresponding with an incompetent secretary, and now you based your whole life on it. For the record, and I defy anybody to say different. IF IT WASN'T FOR THE NRA, WE WOULD NOT HAVE FIREARM OWNERWSHIP IN THIS COUNTRY!!!!!! CHECK ENGLAND, AUSTRALIA, JAPAN, CANADA, THE LIST IS ENDLESS. IS THE NRA PRESENCE IN THESE COUNTRIES?
    NO...THERE ARE A LOT OF PRO GUN ORGANIZATIONS, AND A LOT OF MORE INTENSE FIREARMS TRAING COURSES, BUT AS AN INTRODUCION COURSE TO THE BASIC SAFE HANDLING OF FIREARMS, THE NRA COURSE IS NOT ONLY INFORMATIVE, BUT ALSO COMPLETE. WE NEED TO SUPPORT THE NRA-- THEY ARE THE ONLY ONE IN THE POLITICAL CESPOOL THAT HAS THE CLOUT TO FIGHT BACK. I HOPE YOU AT LEAST KEPT YOUR BASIC MEMBERTSHIP.

First, to answer the OP's question, yes there is a specific course given to credential you as an INSTRUCTOR who then trains and gives certificates to students. That course costs on average a couple hundred bucks.

I pretty much agree with the points made here on both sides (I have my own issues with NRA), however we ought not to dismiss the value of an NRA certificate. Yes, it's 'dumbed down', but it's also the most widely recognized form of safety training for the purposes of obtaining a CCW from states like FL and AZ which require safety instruction. For more advanced 'combat' training, there are many other options some of which were noted above.

There's plenty that NRA does wrong, and plenty that NRA does right. Some days it's more the one than the other, but we'd need lots of beer and plenty of time to discuss it thoroughly. ;-)

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by Yoder View Post
    They don't have any requirements. Anyone can be an instructor as long as you pass the test. You can literally never shoot a gun and be NRA certified.
    With all due respect, this is simply untrue. Not sure if you're just being sarcastic. Yes, the NRA does focus heavily on safety which in my opinion is a good thing. However, they do have requirements.

To answer to OP specifically, and my apologies if this has been covered already:

1. To be an NRA Instructor in ANY discipline, you must first take a course called NRA Basic Instructor Training or BIT. This course essentially "teaches you how to be a teacher." It lasts 8 hours. I enjoyed it myself and learned a lot from it. You get a nice big binder to hold all of the material and to add the material from future courses. The cost of this course (and others) varies depending on where you take it. There is no set fee. Each establishment that is certified to teach Instructor courses sets their own fees. Personally, I paid $200 for mine at Gun For Hire in Belleville, NJ and I highly recommend them.
    2. After you successfully complete BIT you must then take at least one course in a specific discipline such as pistol, rifle, shotgun, and so on. Once you successfully complete one of these courses you are certified in that discipline. In order to be certified, you must score at least 90% on the written test. You cannot simply show up and take the test. You must take the class. If a facility allows that to happen and the NRA finds out about it their Training Counselor certification will be pulled. You must also possess and demonstrate a solid background in firearm safety and shooting skills acquired through previous firearm training (such as completion of an NRA Basic Firearm Training Course) and/or previous shooting experience. Again, you cannot simply sign up for this course without proving some sort of background in firearms. You must be 21 years old to be "Certified" (younger for "Assistant" and "Apprentice"). You must have a clean criminal record (no crimes of violence). You must also join the NRA. Some people may not like that but you're representing them, I think it's only fair that you join.

In my Pistol Instructor class I had to shoot 25 rounds at 10 yards and hit the target with accuracy. No, that doesn't make me a marksman but it does prove that I can shoot and handle a gun safely. Again, the NRA heavily emphasizes safety, which to all gun owners and shooters should be priority number one. I don't see any problem with that.

Now if you want to move beyond that, there are other disciplines that you can get certified in such as Personal Protection Inside The Home and Outside the Home (separate courses) and Home Firearms Safety.

If you simply do an internet search for "nra instructor training" you will easily find all the information you need.

What I like best about NRA Certified Training is that it is standardized. Everyone is on the same page. The phrase I hear most is "I've been shooting all my life" or "since I was a kid." Well, that may (or may not) indicate that can shoot accurately but it doesn't mean you know everything about safety, law and other important topical information. You wouldn't believe the phony rumors and urban legends I hear from people who have no training. Having set standards takes care of these shortcomings. They even give you powerpoint presentations to use in your classes. That way everyone learns the same material. Some people dislike the "death by powerpoint" syndrome but I get positive feedback from my students about the presentations. They're broken up into segments to allow for short breaks between them.

If you have any other questions don't hesitate to ask.
    Last edited by PoconoJo; March 18th, 2012 at 09:20 AM.
    NRA Instructor/RSO
    C.A.R. Instructor
    Certified Glock Armorer

(Allegheny County)

Since you are military you can attend the NRA Law Enforcement instructor classes. They are well worth the money!

http://www.nrahq.org/law/
    "Having a gun and thinking you are armed is like having a piano and thinking you are a musician" Col. Jeff Cooper (U.S.M.C. Ret.)
    Speed is fine, Accuracy is final

(Pike County)

And if you would like to discuss things with 2 NRA instructors.. Come on up to the Pike area meet and greet . They can help shed some light for you as well.