Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Wayne County)

Default Draco AK pistol and range report

I have two things to say.

1. I finally understand what the fuss is about w/ AKs.
    2. Most of what I've read on the internet about Draco pistols is nonsense.

But, let's go back a couple weeks.

I developed a wild hair about getting an AK several weeks ago. I was torn between getting a Draco, a WASR-10 or an M70 underfolder. I've been leaning toward the Draco but, most of what has been written about it makes you not want to rush out and buy one. Anyway, I know Eagle Arms usually has one or a couple of these. I stress "usually." I called them at least twice a week for several weeks. They were always due w/ the next shipment. Last weekend I drove the two hours down to the gun show that they put on at the Philly Expo center. They still didn't have them but, another guy did. I did get a chance to really look around at the variety of all the different styles and makes of AKs. I learned a lot. The lure of the Draco was, however, overwhelming.

I got a chance to take it to the Tobyhanna range at SGL 127 this morning. I loaded her up, worked the bolt back, SHIT!, the bolt wouldn't close the whole way. Dropped the mag. Cleared the round. Tried again. Same thing. Damnit! Took it apart. Everything looked fine. Put her back together. Everything worked the way it should. OK. That's more like it.

I shot it a couple times just to get the feel of it. Didn't feel to bad. Snappy recoil but, not as bad as I had imagined. It was shooting about a foot low and about 8-9" to the left when shot from the bench. The elevation I corrected w/ the combination tool that came with it. I am going to have to get an AK sight tool to push the sight over to correct it. I tried to tap it over but, it didn't want to go. So I just figured out where on the rear sight I had to hold it to compensate. Ends up, it shoots well. I have a feeling that most of the inaccuracy with this is due to me and not the gun.

I did make a sling out of nylon webbing and some brass lobster claw style swivel clasps so I could brace the pistol against the sling while firing. I had seen on another web site to use nylon webbing with a grommet held between the pistol grip and the reciever. I made a hole in the webbing and slid the grip screw through it to hold it tighter.

All in all, I'm extremely happy with the Draco. Once I get the sight adjusted properly, I think it'll outshoot me. After the initial failure to feed, I ran 120 rounds through it without issue. I have a feeling that I may have a new favorite. Pics to follow.
    Sed ego sum homo indomitus

(Wayne County)

Default Re: Draco AK pistol and range report

Here's pics.

Here she is. It came with the Krinkov-style, two part muzzle brake. Ain't she purty?

DSCN2229.jpg

Here's the nylon webbing/grommet combo and how it protrudes from between the grip and the receiver.

DSCN2232.jpg

Here's the sling attachment w/ the swivel clasp on the sling.

DSCN2233.jpg

Here's how it shot towards the end of the morning using only the sling to steady the shots and after I adjusted the front sight elevation and compensated for being unable to adjust laterally. Mind you, this isn't as good as it can shoot. I was flinching pretty bad at this point because I managed to punch myself in the nose very soundly when I forgot to lean the pistol forward into the sling. Distance was 25 yards.

DSCN2231.jpg

Once I get the sight adjusted, I have pretty high expectations from this thing. Yeah, I know, I won't be reaching out to 300 yards and shooting 2" groups. I'd be lucky if I could see that far let alone shoot. That's not the reason I bought it. However, for intermediate distances, this thing will outperform most other pistols and comes in a package that is more compact and maneuverable than a rifle would be.
    Last edited by Sandcut; February 18th, 2011 at 09:41 PM.

(Wayne County)

Where did you get it from?...how much did it run you if you don't mind me asking

Nice write up.

I have been interested in these because they'll use the same mags as my AK, and the drako's are inexpensive. Interested to hear the updates as they come.
    In order to get intelligent answers you must speak intelligently.

(Allegheny County)

the full potential of these is as an SBR!
    MORDENTE MEUM

(Wayne County)

Quote Originally Posted by deerhunterNEPA View Post
    Where did you get it from?...how much did it run you if you don't mind me asking
    Well, mine came with a case and the Krinkov muzzle brake so it's hard to judge what the price of the gun was solo. I paid close to $500 for it. I realize that, despite the add-ons, it was still on the high side of things. Most things that I saw at this show were on the high side of things. Eagle Arms, IIRC, charges just under $400 for the gun by itself. I've seen prices lower on the web but, by the time you ship it, pay a transfer at an FFL, and buy any add-ons, it's still in the same ball park w/ re: to cost. I wasn't going to drive for 2 hours and quibble over $20 or $30. Hell, I paid that much in gas just to get there. There's economy and there's false economy. I try not to fall into the trap of false economy.

I must admit, though. This was by far the nicest show that I've been to.

Also, in general, I tried out the Golden Tiger ammo. 7.62x39, 124 grain FMJBT. Aside from the initial hiccup, this stuff appeared to run well. My buddy bought some for his AK. I haven't heard how it performed in his.

Re: the thoughts on SBRing this thing, I admit that it would be seriously cool. However, with that said, it is my belief (and something that I'm going to work to prove) that this configuration with the use of a sling and a bit of practice, can prove to be just as effective as an SBR. Moreover, as a pistol, I'm not bogged down by any NFA requirements (engraving my name on it, setting up trusts, etc.). If I want, I can sell at an FFL to the average person who passes PICS. Or, I can give it to my dad or my daughters, lawfully, with no legal baggage. IMO, that offsets any coolness factor. But, to each his own. I tend to be a bit of a square anyway.

(Wayne County)

Quote Originally Posted by Lazylaser View Post
    Nice write up.

I have been interested in these because they'll use the same mags as my AK, and the drako's are inexpensive. Interested to hear the updates as they come.
    Thanks.

Not only was the Draco relatively inexpensive but, after looking around at all of the other AKs that were at the show (I think I handled every AK there), what finally convinced me to spend the money was how well put together it was. It's of Romanian manufacture, like the WASR-10 but, it is much better constructed. The fit and finish were better. The action was much smoother. Magazine lockup is very tight with no wobble on both steel mags and Tapco plastic mags. It wasn't until the price was approaching double that I started to notice any real difference, and that difference was arguably worth the money. This pistol is a well made, sturdy little beast. I've been trying to find fault with it to see what it's flaws are and, luckily, I've yet to find them.

(Indiana County)

Wow, almost $500?

Maybe I should go back to the place where I bought my LCP yesterday and get one of the ones he has for $369 and sell it making a quick and rather large profit...

Anyway, glad you like it, they still rank right up there with the idiotic Judge IMO, but I guess there is a market for everything.

I would like you to expand on what you said about it:
    However, for intermediate distances, this thing will outperform most other pistols and comes in a package that is more compact and maneuverable than a rifle would be.
    Are you thinking it will be more accurate or just have more "power" than most other pistols? More accurate I can't see, but power sure, just wondering...

That's the next gun I want to get. Just waiting for it to go back on sale at the gun shop I usually buy from. You have to get things at the sale price in order for it to be the price other stores sell it for, but it's the biggest shop in my area.

With the possibility of a ban on hi-cap mags, and if Obama gets a second term, who knows what he'll decide to do in his second term.

(Wayne County)

Quote Originally Posted by 39flathead View Post
    Are you thinking it will be more accurate or just have more "power" than most other pistols? More accurate I can't see, but power sure, just wondering...
    Both, actually. As far as accuracy goes, you don't see where the 7.62x39 would perform better ballistically between ranges of, say, 50-100+ yards?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast