Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Indiana County)

Default Buying my first pistol and can't make a decision

Hey all -

So I'm finally ready to make my first pistol purchase and am having trouble deciding on what to get. I settled on caliber (9mm) and size (4"-ish barrel), but have been going back and forth between an XD9 4" barrel and a Glock 19. My biggest concern is the lack of a physical safety on the Glock. That, and the fact I haven't shot one. I have put several rounds through different XDs and really fell in love with the 4" model (I forget whether it was the service 4" or the Compact). I've heard so many good things about Glocks, though, and like the way they fit my hand (obviously never having fired a round, this could be moot).

So with this all said, I turn to the good folks of this forum to guide me down the right path. Any and all comments/suggestions are welcome (even caliber suggestions and size, though I have seen both of these be discussed at length and don't want this turning into a .40/9mm debate, but be it as it may).

Thanks in advance.

Cheers

PS - I am planning on getting my CC permit and this would be my carry gun if that is of any consequence.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Buying my first pistol and can't make a decision

Quote Originally Posted by IndyPABrewGuy View Post
    Hey all -

So I'm finally ready to make my first pistol purchase and am having trouble deciding on what to get. I settled on caliber (9mm) and size (4"-ish barrel), but have been going back and forth between an XD9 4" barrel and a Glock 19. My biggest concern is the lack of a physical safety on the Glock. That, and the fact I haven't shot one. I have put several rounds through different XDs and really fell in love with the 4" model (I forget whether it was the service 4" or the Compact). I've heard so many good things about Glocks, though, and like the way they fit my hand (obviously never having fired a round, this could be moot).

So with this all said, I turn to the good folks of this forum to guide me down the right path. Any and all comments/suggestions are welcome (even caliber suggestions and size, though I have seen both of these be discussed at length and don't want this turning into a .40/9mm debate, but be it as it may).

Thanks in advance.

Cheers

PS - I am planning on getting my CC permit and this would be my carry gun if that is of any consequence.
    If you are set on not getting a subcompact, I would get the Glock 19. It's quite a bit lighter than the 4.5 inch XD9. Before you get it though, you should go shoot one. It's probably the easiest gun to find in a rental collection at a range, so that shouldn't be an issue. And if you find that it's too big for you to carry comfortably, you can easily sell it, or keep it as a very good nightstand gun.

On the other hand, if you haven't already, you might wanna take a look at the XD9sc and the XDM compact. Both are decent size for comfortable, long term concealed carry, and both come with an extended magazine which is nice at the range. I own and often carry the XD9sc. It's still a little bulky for my taste, but pretty good, and I love to shoot it.

I'm with you on the whole physical safety thing, which is why I leaned toward the XD. But then again, for the time being and for various reasons I carry without a round chambered, so I'm a real pariah around here. I'm not specifically recommending this because it does go against the conventional wisdom, but if you're going to do that a manual safety shouldn't matter.

Finally, if your main purpose for the gun is concealed carry, you might want to consider something even more compact, like a Kahr PM9 or P9. The main-line Kahr's are a bit pricey for what you get IMHO, but you could go with the budget priced versions: the CW9 (a less expensive version of the P9), or even the new CM9 (a less expensive version of the PM9), or possibly the Ruger LC9 depending on how they hold up being a new gun and all. These are all a lot thinner and lighter than either the Glock or XD, and if you've never carried before, you may not realize your tolerance for carrying a relatively large chunk of metal and plastic in your waistband.

I have shot the CW9, and it shoots really nice and comfortably despite it's light weight so it won't be a chore at the range, and now that I just found out about the new smaller CM9, I might just have to get one.

If you can afford it you might also want to think in terms of getting 2 or 3, not necessarily right away, but over time. For instance, a good set of 3 guns would be a Glock 19, a CW9, and a .380 pocket gun.
    Last edited by rikilii; February 18th, 2011 at 10:41 AM.
    Almost a LIB .... ertarian

(Bucks County)

Would definitely recommend you go to a range and rent a G19 and see if you like how it shoots/fits you and then compare to the XD that you like.

(Delaware County)

s&w m&p, great guns you wont be dissapointed.

(Indiana County)

Quote Originally Posted by Rainier42 View Post
    Would definitely recommend you go to a range and rent a G19 and see if you like how it shoots/fits you and then compare to the XD that you like.
    A friend of mine has a 19. We've been planning a range trip but with the weather/work it hasn't come together. Hopefully this weekend at some point.

(Northampton County)

take a look @ the M&P by S&W lots of options competes with the xd/glocks
    I have been looking @ both myself nothing i hated with the XD but i'm choosing the M&P .45
    M&P= MADE IN THE USA
    XD= made in croatia
    have someone knowledgable that you trust help you and go shoot both before you buy!

remember opinions are like assholes everyones got one!
    "Cogito, ergo armatum sum"

(Indiana County)

Glocks have a physical safety, it's built into the trigger, keeping your finger off the trigger prevents the gun from firing.

The same thing with the XD, keeping your finger off the trigger prevents the gun from firing, the "grip safety" is a moot point IMO because if you are holding the gun, it is no longer a safety being that a normal grip will cause it to deactivate unless you are going to keep manipulating your grip to activate and deactivate it which I would find unnerving if someone at the range with me was doing constantly.

If you are uncomfortable with these types of "safeties" I would suggest maybe thinking about looking at a used SIG 229 or H&K USP compact, or a New FNH FNX9 or Beretta PX4 Storm.

(Butler County)

Don't think you will go wrong with either one of those... buy the one that feels best in your hand and go for it.

I love my G19... and my Kahr PM9...
    Last edited by chivvalry; February 18th, 2011 at 11:17 AM.
    "I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

(Monroe County)

I personally use a G26 because with a magazine change I can go from ten round mag for almost any concealment need to G19 mag when concealable or on my nightstand and a 33 rd. for the zombies. The sprignfield line of sub-compacts offer the same magazine changes but I do not know if a 33rd style magazine is available.

The reason I chose it was it was the pistol I could get the most accurate first shot and fastest yet still accurate follow up shots with in a gun I would actually carry. This was all that mattered to me. I do not care about looks or caliber pissing matches. My 1911's and Hi Powers can stay in the safe for range time when people can see and appreciatte a nice gun. My defensive firearms only need to work the best for me and every single time.

In short I would fire both Springfield and Glock in their compact and sub-compact models in both 9mm / 40 sw / 45acp (if not already ruled out) and see which one you are the fastest and most accurate with.
    Last edited by ByAnyMeans; February 18th, 2011 at 01:27 PM.

(Bucks County)

I have a Gen 3 Glock 19 and love it. Super reliable and eats any ammo you feed it. That being said since you are planning on using it as your carry gun, you need to feel comfortable with it in all aspects including how the particular guns safety mechanisms work. I’d give the Glock a try at the range, but if not having an external ‘switch’ to flip to safe is an issue, than you may want to look at pistols like 39flathead posted above.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast