Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Cumberland County)

Default hand primer vs. turrent press primer

I have just set up a bench to begin reloading...

I have a most of the essential tools (nothing too fancy as I am a reloading virgin)... I am starting with .45acp until I get the hang of it.

I have a lee classic turret press with the carbide die set (4 pieces... "deluxe" i believe) and I was doing some last minute reading and wonder if I should consider grabbing a hand primer from cabela's tomorrow?

Is it better to start with a hand primer to ensure that the primers are seated correctly? will the turret press work fine for now? It has the auto-feed primer thingy ma-do.

I don't plan on churning out 200 rounds at first. probably just try a couple mags full and see how they work. I know it can be very easy to turn out a lot of bad ammo quickly with a turret.

any advice is appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
    The Beauty of the 2nd Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it.

(Westmoreland County)

Default Re: hand primer vs. turrent press primer

I had a lee hand primer. Worked good and I liked it

But I got one of these from lee and like it even better

I do all my priming with it. Its also adjustable

I've been using an RCBS hand primer for over 30 years, but hell, I don't know any better. Hand primers tend to get a bit tedious after a hundred rounds or so.
    "It's hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
    Thomas Sowell

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by RUDY850 View Post
    I had a lee hand primer. Worked good and I liked it

But I got one of these from lee and like it even better

I do all my priming with it. Its also adjustable

Rudy, is that a Lee ram prime? I am looking on the LEE website, at the ramprime kit but I don't see any mention of mounting a primer collator/chute to it like you have.......? Is this a custom thing you made, or if not can you point me to where you got that setup?

To the OP, I use an RCBS hand primer and it works well, it does get tedious though. For single stage reloading when just starting out, it will not slow you down since there is much time to made up in other single stage steps when you get more experience. If you plan on doing any precision work later on you are bound to want one anyway.

YB
    The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities.
    Ayn Rand

(Westmoreland County)

Rudy, is that a Lee ram prime? I am looking on the LEE website, at the ramprime kit but I don't see any mention of mounting a primer collator/chute to it like you have.......? Is this a custom thing you made, or if not can you point me to where you got that setup?
    It comes as a kit.Press not included. But with this press you can feel the primers seat real good

http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm...E90107&src=sim
    Last edited by RUDY850; February 17th, 2011 at 10:17 AM.

(Cambria County)

The auto prime II has been discontinued so if you find one , grab it up . I've been using one for around 20 years , they're the cat's a$$ .
    DAN

(Allegheny County)

I have the Lee Classic Cast Turret press and use the Safety Prime system for my turret. I couldn't be happier with it and wonder why you would even consider a hand primer. I have now used it to prime large/small pistol and large/small rifle without issue. The ONLY problems that I have ever had are when I don't notice that a primer is in the tray upside down or enters the primer cup sideways. Those are user error.

Imo, forget hand priming and use the turret position to deprime/size/reprime, just as it is designed to be used.

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpa72 View Post
    I have the Lee Classic Cast Turret press and use the Safety Prime system for my turret. I couldn't be happier with it and wonder why you would even consider a hand primer. I have now used it to prime large/small pistol and large/small rifle without issue. The ONLY problems that I have ever had are when I don't notice that a primer is in the tray upside down or enters the primer cup sideways. Those are user error.

Imo, forget hand priming and use the turret position to deprime/size/reprime, just as it is designed to be used.
    I have the same set up and love it.

I also use the turret & prime on the press. Once you learn the feel of the little primer pez clicker it'll work just fine for your 45 & large primers.

(Perry County)

I use both the lee hand primer and the primer seater on my lee challenger breech lock press. If I'm priming a box of 100 38 or 44 loads I'll use my hand primer. If I'm just seating a few rifle primers to fill a box or make some test loads I'll use the seater on the press. I like them both equally, just depends on what I need on any given day.
    It's all fun and games, til someone shoots your bobber!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast