Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Allegheny Co 911 Response to Open Carry Question

Note that this was in no way, shape, or form an "official" response from Allegheny county 911.

Tonight my wife and I attended a local meeting about the 911 system in Allegheny county.

As the literature distributed states, "...to discuss and educate the community about the 911 system."
    "Supervisors from 911 and 911 Dispatchers will be the featured speakers."

The information shared was a mix of "tell me something I don't already know" (wow, they get a gazillion calls, who would have thunk it) and some very interesting insight as to the exact steps that take place when a call comes in.

A woman with the title "Assistant 911 Communications manager" was in attendance along with a few of the call-takers/dispatchers (one of which trains others). As the two call-takers/dispatchers (not 100% sure of their titles) also live locally, I thought that I would catch up with them after the meeting to inquire what, if any procedures are in place in regards to a "MWAG call". We talk about it here, and many of us assume that "if they just asked the right questions", there would be a lot less "friction" when the police arrive on scene. I figured that this would be a good opportunity to get some answers.

I never got the chance. My WIFE, who was seated slightly behind me apparently raised her hand at one point, because the woman who had been talking stopped, pointed in my general direction, and asked, "Yes, you have a question, ma'am?"

"What is your protocol for handling a man with a gun call?", my wife asked.
    "Let's say a man is in Giant Eagle, in the meat department, and he has a gun - holstered - on his hip - doing nothing more than deciding if he wants pork chops or chicken for dinner, and you get a call about a man with a gun." "How do you handle that?"

(She's awesome)

(Please note that the following is "best I can recall", so don't get too hung up on specific wording, as I may not have this transcribed word-for-word)

One of the young men began to answer... "First, I'd determine which Giant Eagle you are calling from, I'd want to know if he is threatening anyone, or appeared intoxicated, I'd ask for a physical description of the person, and the gun, and if you feel unsafe, suggest you leave the area and observe from a distance if safe to do so."

"Cars will be dispatched, probably several of them. As we are only able to take information, the police will then need to determine what actions are necessary". (or something to that effect)

The other gentleman interjected at some point that "He could just be a constable." (he seemed to be genuinely putting it out there for people to understand that "a gun" does not always mean "bad guy")
    "It COULD be ME!", I added loudly, wanting to clarify to those in attendance that those in law enforcement are not the only ones who may carry this way.
    At this point, the police officer who organizes the crime watch meetings (which this meeting was an extension of) spoke up and reinforced what I had stated by saying that the laws allow for a handgun to be carried in the open. (but I must be making that up, because all police are thugs, right?)

"Are your dispatchers aware of the legality of carrying a handgun openly?", I asked of the three 911 representatives.
    "We are not here to interpret laws".
    "That's fine", I replied, "but do your employees receive any training that would inform them that carrying a holstered handgun openly is legal?"
    "No." was the response.

The manager began to try to explain the "whys" and the "we can only report...", and I stopped her and stated that I didn't wish to get into a debate over the handling of these types of calls, that I simply wanted to know if there was any training on the subject. "Guns" was not what the meeting was about, so I didn't want to detract from what they were there to do.

I still wanted to speak to them more afterwards, but unfortunately, I didn't get a chance to.
    All in all, it was interesting, and thanks to my wife speaking up DURING the meeting, a few more people may now be aware that handguns may legally be carried openly.

The overall gist of the response to our "gun questions" is that they are sending cars when any sort of weapon is involved. Period. It's then up to the police to determine if any further action is warranted.
    Ultimately, it all boils down to "cover your ass", and I don't expect any 911 call center to EVER brush off a MWAG call - whether they are "trained" or not.
    Last edited by Emptymag; February 17th, 2011 at 12:23 AM. Reason: typo
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Westmoreland County)

Default Re: Allegheny Co 911 Response to Open Carry Question

Great insight into the 911 dispatcher's reaction during a MWAG call. Kudos to your wife too!

(Allegheny County)

Oh yeah... afterwards, we were talking to the officer I mentioned. We're on a first name basis as a result of our participation in the crime watch program, so we always hang out for a few minutes to chat about things.

Well, the topic of "OCers" came up, and since I can't recall the exact words, I'll just say that there was mention of "groups of 30 people with guns going to restaurants" and that he's aware that OC is not illegal... something about training was said, and my wife said "Didn't you get the MPOETC training on open carry?"

OMG, I nearly laughed out loud. Cripes, I don't even know how to "spell" MPOETC without looking it up, and my wife just rattled it off like she uses the term on a daily basis. It was pretty funny.

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    OMG, I nearly laughed out loud. Cripes, I don't even know how to "spell" MPOETC without looking it up, and my wife just rattled it off like she uses the term on a daily basis. It was pretty funny.
    Massive +REP to your wife!

(Fayette County)

I think you and your wife did a wonderful job.

There's a guy over on the OC forums (cant remember his user name) who OC's on a daily basis on the south side. There have bee a lot of calls from all of the college kids and yuppies on that south side and the police have actually corrected dispatch on a few occasions that OC is 100% legal in PA.

Also, dispatchers are required to send out units if they get a call. That just protocol.

Im not saying thats a good thing or bad thing for OC'ers ( I am an OC'er too).
    "One must be a fox to recognize traps, and a lion to frighten wolves” ~ Machiavelli

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Ricochet View Post
    Also, dispatchers are required to send out units if they get a call. That just protocol.
    Bingo. If they are going to dispatch my ambulance on someones toothache, they are going to dispatch the cops on any man with a gun call.

Remember, they are limited in their ability to assess a situation because they are on the other end a phone line. It's their job to relay information to the police so they can assess the situation in person, not to try and educate people about your pet cause. They don't care if open carry is legal and they shouldn't.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by victory View Post
    It's their job to relay information to the police so they can assess the situation in person, not to try and educate people about your pet cause. They don't care if open carry is legal and they shouldn't.
    Actually, since I know 90% of the Allegheny Co. dispatchers, I can probably get them to fax these people calling 911 some of those open carry flyers. I mean, why not, right? It's not like they get hundreds of calls per hour, and have anything better to do....

You OC people blow my mind sometime. You've lowered yourselves to bothering 911 dispatchers about OC education? Give it a break, already.
    Last edited by JustinM; February 17th, 2011 at 01:46 AM.

(Fayette County)

Quote Originally Posted by JustinM View Post

You OC people blow my mind sometime. You've lowered yourselves to harassing 911 dispatchers about OC education? Give it a break, already.
    "Harassing" is bit of a strong term dont you think?
    "One must be a fox to recognize traps, and a lion to frighten wolves” ~ Machiavelli

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by JustinM View Post
    Actually, since I know 90% of the Allegheny Co. dispatchers, I can probably get them to fax these people calling 911 some of those open carry flyers. I mean, why not, right? It's not like they get hundreds of calls per hour, and have anything better to do....

You OC people blow my mind sometime. You've lowered yourselves to harassing 911 dispatchers about OC education? Give it a break, already.
    Would you care to point out who is harassing dispatchers about OC education in this thread?

If you can't, I'll assume you're trolling, and we'll just go from there.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Ricochet View Post
    "Harassing" is bit of a strong term dont you think?
    Fixed it....

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast