Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Re: What rifle to buy for an Africa hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Pukindog View Post
    Many of the African countries have minimum parameters for Africa. .375 H&H is usually the minimum for dangerous game. .416 Rigby, .458 Win. Mag, .378 Weatherby, .458 Lott would be enough gun to name a few. Many hunters take a battery of rifles which might include a 7mm Mag, .300 Mag, .338 Mag.for the plains species. If you have little or no experience with heavy recoiling rifles you are putting yourself, your professional hunter, and everyone else on the hunt in danger. Many professional hunters want to see how well their client can shoot. You have some time to get in a ton of trigger work with a heavy rifle. I am not sure if a .45-70 would really be a good choice. It is not a popular cartridge in Africa and finding ammo could be a problem. You are going to need both soft points and FMJ (or solid Monolith type bullets). Your choice in the .45-70 is limited. Hand loads are an option but many professional hunters require factory ammo to be used. The best option might be to find someone with a heavy rifle; pay them for the ammo to practice, and rent a rifle when you get to the Dark Continent.
    This would be a dandy to take. Belgian Browning Olympian Grade in .458 Win. Mag.
    Good luck,

Jeff
    I agree with that statement. I never said a 45-70 would be the prime rifle for Africa big game, I said it would make due . Sure you would want the strongest loads not only for 45-70, but any caliber for the big stuff in Africa.
    My first choice was 458 Win Mag. A 375 H&H would be the minimum !
    The 45-70 isn't that scarce and there is some good loads for it. The 405 gr loads would suffice with good shot placement, Buffalo Bore ammo would be better. The probably have a 450 gr or higher driven at higher speeds. I mean guys take buffalo with the 45-70 and im pretty sure it will take a Cape Buffalo. If he had the cash though, 458 Win Mag all the way !
    You Can Take My Gun When You Pry it From My Dead, Cold, Hand !

Quote Originally Posted by PhillyGunslinger View Post
    I agree with that statement. I never said a 45-70 would be the prime rifle for Africa big game, I said it would make due . Sure you would want the strongest loads not only for 45-70, but any caliber for the big stuff in Africa.
    My first choice was 458 Win Mag. A 375 H&H would be the minimum !
    The 45-70 isn't that scarce and there is some good loads for it. The 405 gr loads would suffice with good shot placement, Buffalo Bore ammo would be better. The probably have a 450 gr or higher driven at higher speeds. I mean guys take buffalo with the 45-70 and im pretty sure it will take a Cape Buffalo. If he had the cash though, 458 Win Mag all the way !
    Would a .450 Dakota do the trick?
    I spoke with a friend yesterday evening who said he would loan his .450 out of his collection to me for the trip if I paid him enough money so he can reload whatever rounds I use, if any.
    He also mentioned lending his Bohica .50 BMG, but I don't know how much that rifle weighs, probably way too much and I doubt .50 BMG is right for Africa anyway.

(Bucks County)

The .450 Dakota would do the trick. Energy levels in the 7000foot pound range. A little less than the .460 Weatherby.
    What is the largest rifle you have ever shot? The .50 cal BMG "rifles" are not looked at kindly in Africa.

Jeff
    NRA Benefactor member
    NRA 2nd Amendment Foundation
    Colt Collectors Association
    Browning Collectors Association
    Sharps Arms Collectors Association
    SASS Association

SANS PEUR et SANS REPROACHE

To err is human, to be prepared divine

(Lackawanna County)

Pukindog has brought it up, but have you done any research into this? I'd hate to see you buy a rifle and it turns out that you can't take it along. I'm just arm-chair quarterbacking this, but from a quick Google-ing it seem that any hunting by a non-resident requires the services of a professional hunter.

It also seems that as a tourist you can't just bring a rifle and carry it around for protection.

Quote Originally Posted by Ithaca1937 View Post
    Pukindog has brought it up, but have you done any research into this? I'd hate to see you buy a rifle and it turns out that you can't take it along. I'm just arm-chair quarterbacking this, but from a quick Google-ing it seem that any hunting by a non-resident requires the services of a professional hunter.

It also seems that as a tourist you can't just bring a rifle and carry it around for protection.
    Yes, we are aware of this and we've contacted a guide and what not for the hunting portion.
    The rifle will be stored safely in the lodge we're going to be staying at.

The .450 Dakota would do the trick. Energy levels in the 7000foot pound range. A little less than the .460 Weatherby.
    What is the largest rifle you have ever shot? The .50 cal BMG "rifles" are not looked at kindly in Africa.

Jeff
    I've fired a few .416 Rigby rounds, .50 BMG, I have pretty vast experience from my military days with the .308 (which doesn't really count here but oh well), and I once had the misfortune of firing a .378 Weatherby.
    I've also fired a Lahti L-39 anti material rifle, if that counts for anything.

(Bucks County)

The misfurtune of the .378 Weatherby is not going to match the bone crush of a .450 Dakota. The other firearms don't count a hoot, except for the .416 rRgby. Bear in mind you will be firing offhand with only a branch for a rest, maybe. Most shots will come quick. if there is time you may be able to shoot from a set of shooting sticks.

Jeff
    NRA Benefactor member
    NRA 2nd Amendment Foundation
    Colt Collectors Association
    Browning Collectors Association
    Sharps Arms Collectors Association
    SASS Association

SANS PEUR et SANS REPROACHE

The misfurtune of the .378 Weatherby is not going to match the bone crush of a .450 Dakota. The other firearms don't count a hoot, except for the .416 rRgby. Bear in mind you will be firing offhand with only a branch for a rest, maybe. Most shots will come quick. if there is time you may be able to shoot from a set of shooting sticks.

Jeff
    Well, I'm not exactly a small or average size guy so the term "bone crush" probably is a bit of an exaggeration in my case, I'm about 200 pounds of muscle.
    I fired most of those prior to my Army and engineering career too, when I was still a scrawny kiddo.

I don't really count on using it unless we come into immediate danger, it's mostly just going to be the security measure just in case, we're going to try and stay far away from Lions/Elephants, but it'll be nice to have just in case we fail to do so.

(Montgomery County)

I will offer two suggestions in caliber - the first is 7mm Mauser. Very effective round and elephants have been taken with it.

Secondly, one that is very popular in Europe - 9.3x62mm. One thing you will want to research as well (just in case) is availability of ammo where you will be. 9.3x62 is very popular and a wonderful round. CZ USA makes some beautiful rifles in it. You havent said whether you will be sporting optics or just iron sights on your rifle (or I missed it).

I would highly recommend a Mannlicher stocked CZ in 9.3x62: http://www.cz-usa.com/products/view/cz-550-fs/

Under a $1000 to boot!

Just looks classy. They also have a shorter barreled rifle with kevlar stock for portability and durability in 9.3x62. http://www.cz-usa.com/products/view/550CarbineKevlar/

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast