Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Perry County)

Default NRA basic pistol course

I've been looking at taking the NRA basic pistol course but have some questions.

Do they teach you the proper way to shoot a handgun? I've been using handguns for a few years now and I'm fairly decent but I want someone who is experienced and good to make sure I'm not doing something wrong. Basically I want to be better.

It seems its either this, which might not be enough, or a defensive pistol course, which while I might want to take one down the line, I think that is too much right now. Also, it seems that you have to have the basic NRA course done to do these anyway.

So whats the deal with the cost of the class? I've seen the cost as low as $35 and as high as $200. It's the same class right?

(Lancaster County)

Smile Re: NRA basic pistol course

NRA basic course is usually 10 hrs long and the price is set by the individual instructor and not the NRA. and yes the instructor should be showing you how to shoot properly and help in breaking any past bad habits..

(Northampton County)

Default Re: NRA basic pistol course

There are 2 course for pistol the one is called first steps basic pistol and is three hours long and the second course is basic pistol and is 10 hours. yes the costs will vary instructors set there own prices. You can find local courses being offered by NRA instructors at NRA.org. The longer course covers the subject in detail. I just finished the NRA Basic pistol Instructor course and I found very benificial to me and I have 35 years of shooting experience. It is amazing what one forgets over time. Currently I am awaiting my Nra certification. Next I am taking the Rifle Instructor course so that I can continue being a rifle merit badge counseler for BSA. The instructor courses are over 20 hours and I was more than impressed with how the course was taught. These courses are benifiical to every one and the NRA offers a wide variety of courses.MY instructor course was three weekends -about 4 hours the first weekend, 15 hours over two days the next weekend and about 5 hours the last weekend including 2 range sessions as well. The instructor provided lunch for us and paid our range fees.The course cost was $190 and in my opinion we got a bargain.

(Beaver County)

At my club, we have about 15 NRA Certified instructors and have been teaching NRA Basic Pistol as a club for over 20 years.

The cost is as described above, set by the individual or group. Our price is $50 all inclusive (guns, ammo, eyes, and ears provided)

The material is the same in every class (it is NRA issued material). The shooting methodology is current and what I would consider absolutely "proper."

The level of instruction can be substantially different based on the skill and experience level of the instructor(s) from place to place.

We have competitive shooters, former/retired military, former LE, and tactical training junkies as instructors.

Find a strong program and you will receive strong instruction.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by TheOilGeek View Post
    Find a strong program and you will receive strong instruction.
    How do you suggest finding a strong program besides trial and error?

(Beaver County)

I would ask their point of contact some probing questions like who makes up the instructor team? what credentials do they have above and beyond the NRA Pistol qual and what is their philosophy on training in general?. I would also attempt to talk to people who have taken the class before.

AARs for NRA BAsic Pistol are not that common as far as I know, but look for those too.

I would also look at what other kinds of training are offered by the organizing entity. My club has multiple disciplines of NRA training available as well as hosting big name trainers in Pistol, Carbine, Trap, and other disciplines as well.

That's all I can think of off of the top of my head. Feel free to pm me.